Opinions On Website Advertising

Would you prefer your agent to...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
For coverage, especially in the smaller states, I'd only bother with realestate.com.au if a seller.

But if selling in Melbourne I'd probably pick both, especially if it was a 'quality' inner suburban or bayside proprty.

As a buyer I try to search them all, including private sale sites if I'm not lazy.

But as a website geek I love Domain's compact URLs (for selected properties) and despise re.com's long URLs which are a pain to copy and email.

Eg: compare the elegant http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007188485 to the horrid http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=77694581&s=vic&tm=1216895413 (look in browser window to see it's twice as long).

Plus Domain has a nice touch in putting the address at the top of the window, but RE only has the suburb.

From this I conclude that Domain has more skilled website people than re.com, but both are susceptible to slack spelling from the agents!

Peter

This probably won't help you much.

But in Canberra, I find www.allhomes.com.au the best resource available.

As a landlord, I get responses from potential tenants, and I find that tenants check out rents in comparable places.

I can find information about my property (and any other property which I could not find about any property anywhere else in Australia). "Information Rich" is a phrase which is often used.

I use Domain for keyword searching and realestate.com.au for everything else. Only rarely found something on Domain that wasn't on rea but plenty of the reverse...

hi all
sorry to say not alot of help as use neither.
I buy direct with vendors so I use silent private negotiation. and do the deal direct with out the real estate websites at all.
as most have everyone looking at them and I don't like competion.
I use domain as it gives me charting not sure of re as not into using them to find buys.
I use them for info on an area and domain does swell for this.
papers I find are better but thats just me and shop windows in the area that you want.
I would not look at an area and then look at another thru a website.
even commercial I find most of the sites have pages that are old and half are sold and they stay up there to hook market people.
for me I find it better tojump of say domain and go to the agents website and look there if interested and you can goggle that.

so domain is good as it gives me back ground data as I said not sure of re as I don't use them
I use red square,rp data and a couple of others that are not for boards
for data

Thanks everyone for your opinions, they were most helpful.

I have actually now spoken to our rep on both domain & realesate.com about their coverage figures etc.

Realestate.com.au gets almost double the hits of domain.com in the statistics australia wide. it is about 70k hit per day to 120k in NSW which has the highest hits for domain of every other states... some of the stats in other states on domain really are poor!

Also realestate.com are planning a revamp of the site which will include key word searches like domain has. This should launch in early 2009. Domain doesn't seem to have anything earth shattering planned - or if they do their rep isn't selling it very well.

While we believe there is benefits in being on both sites, it is becoming clearer that it is not necessary to generate the enquiry on our properties. We have been carefully monitoring the enquiry level for several months and domain really is lagging dramatically! and we also notice alot of the people who enquiry on domain enquire on the same property on RE.com

Anyway i am just about to start another related post about the services you use on RE.com......

But as a website geek I love Domain's compact URLs (for selected properties) and despise re.com's long URLs which are a pain to copy and email.

Eg: compare the elegant http://www.domain.com.au/Public/PropertyDetails.aspx?adid=2007188485 to the horrid http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bi...t=&header=&cc=&c=77694581&s=vic&tm=1216895413 (look in browser window to see it's twice as long).

I know what you mean, I dislike long URLs too, but here's a tip:

The stuff after the property ID isn't actually necessary in order to view the page:

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=o&id=104999079

All that extra info is just related to how you found the page in the first place (i.e. the search you did to get there).

-Ian

When I look for property, I use realestate.com. Realestate.com seems to have all the properties that are on Domain plus more.

When my property manager advertises my properties, they will normally list on both sites but last time I had a property to rent out, I asked them to list only on Realestate.com because I found most other agents are doing just that. I imagine a tenant would go straight to Realestate.com as it gives them a more complete listing of what is currently available.

Back