Opportunity to be in a major Newspaper?

Hi Somersoft,

A leading newspaper has asked me to find somebody that has recently participated at auction or attempted to buy a property and wishes that they had used a Buyer's Advocate.

If this is you please PM me and I'll make the introduction for the article.

Hi Jake,

Publicity is certainly a good thing when it's a postive story, but a story titled, "I wish I used a buyers agent", isn't a positive story.

It could very easily be perceived as a wealthy investor, taking advantage of negative gearing at the cost of the poor tax payer, is moaning that they thought property prices were too high and thus failed at auction. You just need to look at the vast majority of comments to property articles published on The Age's website to know that the general public isn't going to be behind the investor.

When Nathan appears in the paper or on TV, he's talking about his successes, not failures. From the investors point of view, an article about wishing they used a buyers agent probably won't be written as a success story for the investor.

My suggestion would be to submit an article about some of the great results your clients have had, especially over time. Perhaps, "Jake helped us buy 12 months ago for $x, and last weekend the same house next door sold at auction for $x + $y. We're really glad we used a buyers agent!"

Agree with Peter. I'd add, besides the risk of coming across as a greedy investor, one also runs the risk of coming across as rather incompetent.

The sentence "I wish I'd used a buyer's advocate" doesn't scream well-versed investor.

I'm inclined to agree with PT_Bear on this one. As an investor myself who also works in property media, I'm inclined to agree. Only stories about successes should be shared.

Just make sure you get it in writing that you must proof read and sign off on the article, so you at least know the full context and how this might impact your business.

A small coterie of inner-city buyers advocates (and real estate agents) have a symbiotic relationship with journalists.

The benefit goes both ways.

The lazy journos get a few factoids to paste into their scarcely researched 'story' while the buyers advocates get the exposure.

The result is that most property writing in the papers is self-serving pap.

Why participate in this game?

Leave that business to others.

Stay out of the papers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Somersoft,

A leading newspaper has asked me to find somebody that has recently participated at auction or attempted to buy a property and wishes that they had used a Buyer's Advocate.

If this is you please PM me and I'll make the introduction for the article.
Make sure the article explains very clearly the reasons why the buyer didn't use an advocate and was disappointed at their purchase result -
1. Didn't do any due diligence on the area themselves.
2. Didn't do any due diligence on the area themselves.
3. Didn't do any due diligence on the area themselves.

No doubt it will be an advertorial on the benefits of using a buyer's agent. Just make sure please that you state that they are charging a fee for the buyer enjoying the need for not completing points 1-3.

Otherwise, the article may read along the lines that the only way to buy a property is through a BA, and that isn't the case.

Last edited:
You could try to find an investor who has both bought alone and bought with a buyer's agent who could then "compare and contrast" the pros and cons of their experiences.

Depending on the publication, first name and/or pseudonym might be acceptable if the story is strong enough.

Back