Opps. Roof looks a bit like a Big 'M'. be afraid or not :)

Well I just settled on my first house and starting to move in.

but one problem.. should I be worried when my next door neighbor mentions that no one put an offer on the house expect for me (insert REA smoke and mirrors d'oh) and the previous owner said they had too much movement in the house that it probably requires restumping... Then the neighbor pointed out the side roof line of my new house which kind of starts to look like a Big 'M' logo.. ie. wavey 'M' shape..

To me it looks like border line moderate case but wouldnt want it to get any worse.. so its very noticable when looking in the right spot.

Building reports didn't mention any issue like this.. and when inspecting inside the house cant really find any major cracking anywhere..

Dunno if I should be concerned or not. probably cant do much since its now my house.. haha! but currently Im putting in additional drainage to get a little dampness out from under the house and removing some silly big tree's that I think are too close to the house.

Actually Im not sure if the dips in the roof are caused by foundations or maybe the roof trusses..

Anyways.. should I get a professional out to get an expert opinion what this could mean in my future or adopt a she will be right attitude making improvements around the property to protect against future movement.

I would get in touch with the building inspector who did the report and ask him about the obvious movement/damage and ask him if this is old movement or something that is still possibly happening.

If it is past damage and not still falling/moving, then I would get that in writing and keep it ready for one day when the next buyer queries it.

If it is something that needs rectifying then you need to at least stabilise it to stop things getting worse. Then you can regroup, rethink and make a decision on what happens next.

If you don't get any answers from the inspector, I would call in another (or a trusted builder) and then you have to decide whether there is anything you can do about the initial inspector missing the elephant in the room.

Fingers crossed it is simply the result of past movement.

Aaahhh... the old wavy roof trick! One very early tip I was given and pretty much the first thing I look at when I check the externals. May be trivial, but generally a wavy roof line requires further investigation.

It can just be internal to the roof with some of the structure having failed.

I would suggest getting up it the roof and see if any of the structure is loose or showing signs of buckling.

Cheers

It can just be internal to the roof with some of the structure having failed.

I would suggest getting up it the roof and see if any of the structure is loose or showing signs of buckling.

Cheers

I was thinking it was more localised to the actual roof since internally seems in pretty good condition. I think I'll go through the house flooring with the split level to check as well.

At least now I have good advice in which direction to turn.. haha! next time I buy a house I'll check the roof lining as well.

What usually causes a wavy roof is when a house has an iron roof and then the sheets are replaced with tiles.

Problem is the iron sheets are much lighter then the tiles and have trusses/battens placed further apart so when the weight of the tiles go on the roof dips up and down between the trusses, giving that wavy look.

What should be done is when the original iron sheets are taken off , new wood installed between the existing for extra support and then the tiles go on. But a lot of people miss this step. It doesn't show up for a long time so dodgy roofers get away with it.

Might not be the case with your but i've seen it happen so many times. A pic would be good.

ps: Was that smoke and mirrors from the agent or outright lying?

What usually causes a wavy roof is when a house has an iron roof and then the sheets are replaced with tiles.

was just about to say this ... common in house 40+ years old. not generally major unless the supports are failing - which one would hope your building inspector would have noticed.

get up there with a torch and have a look.

was just about to say this ... common in house 40+ years old. not generally major unless the supports are failing - which one would hope your building inspector would have noticed.

get up there with a torch and have a look.

Yeah my parents house is 33 years old and the roof isn't perfect. Has very slight valley's and peaks.

But my house yeah. A untrained eye would be a bit concerned. Have to grab a ladder and check all the supports. Theres a solar hotwater system on the roof where it dips. Hopefully it doesnt have a slight leak which could affect the roof.

I've been through the house with a split level and the flooring seems pretty level within acceptable limits.

Might not be the case with your but i've seen it happen so many times. A pic would be good.

ps: Was that smoke and mirrors from the agent or outright lying?

Naa don't think have iron sheets up there before.. Just straight ceremic tiles in a 1986 built house.

Smoke & Mirrors.. Dunno my new next door neighbour gives me a worse case scenario how the previous owners sold due to movement in the house and points out the roof. Also stating no one put an offer on the house except for me.. but yeah never know who to believe these days...

but for me.. I've seen much worse houses and my house seems okay except for the roof.

Oh well. Thank god Im not a REA. Cant imagine playing games all day long :eek:

Back