Original colour schemes

I have just bought a 90 year old home in the suburb of Hamilton here in Newcastle. The house is very original and needs some work.

One of the pressing jobs is an exterior repaint.

I'd like to consider a colour scheme that matches the sort of colours that would have been used on this home back in the 20s.

Has anyone had much luck in finding this sort of info? Any ideas where I could look?

Photos from back then are all B&W.

Cheers,

We reno'ed an old miners cottage in Wallsend about 14 yrs ago. We used what would have been close to traditional Cream, Brick Red and French Grey ( which was more blue than grey)

I have just bought a 90 year old home in the suburb of Hamilton here in Newcastle. The house is very original and needs some work.

One of the pressing jobs is an exterior repaint.

I'd like to consider a colour scheme that matches the sort of colours that would have been used on this home back in the 20s.

Has anyone had much luck in finding this sort of info? Any ideas where I could look?

Photos from back then are all B&W.

Cheers,

I have scanned a rare Solver Heritage Color chart for you,however It is over the max size to upload,I will email it to you.
Anyone else who would like it,just PM me.

I also attached a link to download PDF Lead alert "The Six Step Guide to
painting your home" for you and others.This booklet explains lead in the older home.

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/airquality/publications/pubs/leadpaint.pdf

Simon, have recently completed (ok I lie, a small section to go) painting a weatherboard 3br Edwardian. I had looked at the "tradiitonal colours becuase I am wanting to restore it in line with its heritage.

I did the same thing with looking at the Edwardian/Federation colours. However, in my opinion, there was a little tiredness to all of them. I didn't want to go to something too contemporary and not suit the property, but there was a level of 'drabness' to all the colours. I got a Dulux colour consultant and she was fantastic. She also knew her colours :p

Anyhow, for what it's worth, on the outside, went with Candlebark as the main colour, 1/4 strength Hog Bristle (gloss) for the trim.

hmmm - can't say that any of those, or combinations of those, really appeal.

best thing to do is walk/drive around the neighbourhood - and similar nearby neighbourhoods - and see what looks good and appeals.

i spent months staring at 1920's red brick houses to find out what front garden style and paint trims looked fresh and vaguely modern whilst still retaining the dignity of it's age.

Back