OTT Tenant Request

I just recieved the following email from our property manager from a tenant of ours who has recently moved into an IP (June).

Hi xx,
As per our discussion today, my partner xx and I reside at the abovementioned property.
The lock on one of the garage doors does not lock properly at times and is really hard to lock, the key gets stuck in the lock and is quite frustrating when you are on your way to work.
As a result someone has got into our garage and stolen xx priceless golf clubs, we have reported this to the police and our insurance company.
Along with the door not locking properly they are very heavy doors to lift up, as I have sever back problems and see a chiro once a fortnight lifting these heavy doors on my own can be quite painful. We would like to put in a request to have a remote control put on the garage doors (i.e. Roller doors with remote access). We are one of the only units in the entire complex without a remote garage and it would be greatly appreciated if we could get one.
Thanks and kind regards, xx

?? I had to laugh when I received this! I mean, I feel sorry for the lady if she has a sore back but it just reads like they want a roller shutter period. We are usually good with our tenants and as helpful as possible and will probably do this for them but it just gave me a good giggle when I recieved it this afternoon.
Has anyone else had tenants request things like this?? And in relation to the comment about being one of the only units in the complex (of which there are 10) without a remote I'm not sure about that - we have another unit in the complex which doesn't have one either!
Cheers

I would reply, "your request to install an automatic garage door has been approved on the provision the system is left in place upon vacating the property" :eek:

If they are happy enough to pay an increase in rent for the door then why not? Depreciation for you, and an extra $20 per week is an extra $1000 to pay for it in the first year.

I have done similar deals with air conditioners with great results all round.

I would reply, "your request to install an automatic garage door has been approved on the provision the system is left in place upon vacating the property" :eek:

Excellent work !!! :D

Like always, the wording is sickly sweet.....but at no point does the request actually specify who is liable for the cost of the requested upgrade.

It's strongly implied however that "The Landlord is to cough for the lot and you damn well better not be asking us for even 1c in extra rent, cos we don't want it that badly."

Your reply was priceless 2BW.

I reckon you have done them a favour by having the golf clubs removed:

As a result someone has got into our garage and stolen xx priceless golf clubs, ....... as I have sever back problems and see a chiro once a fortnight lifting these heavy doors on my own can be quite painful.

If she quits the golf because she no longer has the clubs, she may well save on chiro fees!

She didnt exactly say theirs is the only unit without the remote, but rather this:
We are one of the only units in the entire complex without a remote garage
And that 'one of' could be all of 'em!

If they are happy enough to pay an increase in rent for the door then why not? Depreciation for you, and an extra $20 per week is an extra $1000 to pay for it in the first year.

I have done similar deals with air conditioners with great results all round.

My thoughts too. She rented the place "as is". We have added things like dishwashers, air-con when it suits us to improve the IPs. We usually do it at the end of one tenancy, and get a higher rent for the next lease from a new tenant.

The one time that I can recall when a tenant requested air-con, they actually asked if they could install it through a window and take it with them when they went. These were fantastic, no trouble, long term tenants and we had no worries that they would return the window properly.

However, adding air-con was something we were planning to do when they left, so we had a split system installed and didn't increase their rent until the next lease was due, which would have happened anyway.

These tenants also allowed our builder to add a huge deck on the back while they lived in the dust and inconvenience. They got a fantastic huge deck for no extra rent and we didn't lose any money while it went on. (I think we may have reduced their rent by $20 a week or something for the couple of weeks it was being built, but cannot remember.)

Bottom line is that like in all other areas in life, there are some people who you would do anything to help, and others you would not lift a finger to help, because of their attitude.

It all comes down to a tenant's attitude, like usual.

Depends on the attitude of the tenant...exactly.
We have a young woman renting an older mobile. She moved in and wanted us to replace the window because her air conditioner didn't fit, and it leaked when it rained.
We repaired the leak around the window, said we are not replacing windows. She put the a/c in the livingroom window (and bent the window frame).
Kept asking when we are replacing these windows. We are not !!

Said another window is leaking. Turned out it was from a vent on the roof. Rob repaired it. She is very irate now, and demands to know when we are replacing the windows.

Told her we will accept her Notice to Quit, since having windows replaced seems to be very important to her. She didn't leave, but is still angry.
If she stays after her lease expires..she will be getting a giant rent increase.

Did you like my last post!!:D:D Trying to type a response on my crackberry on the way to work sitting on the bus - I struggle at the best of times.

Anyway, 2bob - nice work. Actually used that today. Said to the PM we are happy for them to intall it so long as they use a licensed tradesperson and assign us the warranties. They responded shortly after saying they were hoping we would do it.

So I suggested a rent increase (to be determined) and they agreed so now we are looking into costs etc. The tenant is obviously not as unreasonable as I was expecting so will make sure we are more than reasonable on the rent increase.

Any idea what these will cost me. It has 2 garages so I assume we will look at doing both.

Back