Our first CIP...step-by-step....

I have been pointed to this by someone............lord knows why.

Im not a big commercial lending fan...........throphy loans is what I like to call em, gets your settlement volumes up for those that are impressed by that.

We will do them, but not as stand alone deals, rather for existing clients or where there is a resi portfolio to go with it

Commercial Comms are usually MUCH less than resi for the life of the loan, and on average the deals are a bus load more work, with settlement ratios of less than half that of resi. More often than not u have the get the loans approved with 2 (or more) lenders to keep the bankers honest

Rarely, the best deal is with a lender that pays no comm, thats not an issue, the client will often ( not always) pay the 50 to 70 pts comm for that better deal.

Anyways, to answer ur question, the average BANK app fee for a comm deal of decent size is .5 to 1.2 % depending on full or lo doc, or how much fleece the sheep has ( bank talk)

I suspect your banker may be well served by a 25 kg bag of pool salt.........the MUCH MORE immediately rings the envy bell :)

ta
rolf

Cheers Rolf..most appreciated..

personally? i'd pay dazz the $50,000 and be done with it.

forget the drawn out angst of dealing with solicitors and sleepless nights of "not knowing what you don't know".

p.s. great thread and looking foward to the conclusion.

$14.75 for title search and $33.90 for dealing search of a property which has one in place!:D

cu@theop,

What do you mean by dealing search?

Can you do a public search of the lease on a property?

Does the lease have to be ''registered'' with some body?

Thanks.

cu@theop,

Thanks.
Yes you can do a public search.

All leases must be registered to the properties title.

oops - seems i hit a raw nerve there - sorry!

it was just a light-hearted joke - but yes, a watertight lease is what comm is all about and they are worth their literal weight in platinum.

Was there any useful insight in the commercial lease that I forwarded?

Very insightful Chilli..
Thank you very much for sending that through..

One thing I did notice that was in keeping with the theme of "in the landlords interest" was that even when a clause stated the tenant could file for cost's... often it was immediately then followed with another clause stating that none of those cost would be borne by the landlord (or something to that effect)..
Basically, everything is pretty much written in the landlords interest..

I also liked the min 12 month notice that was required for a tenant who wished to exercise their options otherwise the option was forfeited..

I found reading it a good example of "you don't know what you don't know"..

Cheers again..Chilli...
B.D

cu@theop,

Thanks.

Here in Qld it would be registered (as many of the larger leases are) with Dept Energy and Mineral Resources- basically the Title Office.

Find a property you are interested in. (Westfield and Grendell leases are very Landlord friendly- but retail- Dazz's stuff is commercial without the tenant legislative protections). Do a title search. If a lease is over the property it will show a dealing number. Do a search on that and go from there!

Here in Qld it would be registered (as many of the larger leases are) with Dept Energy and Mineral Resources- basically the Title Office.

Find a property you are interested in. (Westfield and Grendell leases are very Landlord friendly- but retail- Dazz's stuff is commercial without the tenant legislative protections). Do a title search. If a lease is over the property it will show a dealing number. Do a search on that and go from there!

Or if the property is for sale, just call the agent and ask them to send through a copy of the leases.

Probably wouldn't work for a Westfield though... :)

Update:
Looks like we've finally received the valuation.
We were anticipating it would take up to 2 weeks when the reality was it came a little sooner.
It was ordered last Fri but the valuer didn't visit the property until yesterday. Luckily he had literally valued the property next door (our buildings are joined by a common wall) less than 6 months ago. It had access at both ends but was 25% smaller and came in at nearly $60,000 more than what we paid for ours so he's already given a verbal approval to the bank.
Here's a couple of more things I learned about comm valuations.
1: Even if the property is worth twice what you tell the bank, they don't care and will only give you you one of two answers. It's either approved at the value or it's fallen under. They will never tell you if it's worth more than what you paid..
2: If Joe blow walks in off the street and asks for a valuation for his/her property they will happily conduct one foryou. If you then state it's for a bank, they will invariably knock the valuation down to factor in a "safety margin" against litigation from the bank in case it's worth less than what they stated. I've no idea how much but I'm told it's a regular occurrence.
3: They will knock it down even further if it's untenanted and will factor in a vacancy of somewhere between 3 - 12 months depending on the area and current state of the market.

He's also given us likely rental 10% above what I had calculated (I deliberately went in conservative) so I'll now be much happier when speaking with our next potential agent.
I'll schedule an appointment early next week as I anticipate contracts to now go unconditional shortly.
Will keep you posted.

Cheers

B.D

Last edited:
Well, the bank have now had the valuation since Mon which should mean we are good to announce the loan as unconditional....right.....errr...apparently not.
They are now saying they need another three days to quote "investigate the trust" that we set up as part of the purchase.
I have no idea why this wasn't completed in tandem with everything else over the last 4 weeks but there you go. It simply means that we're still good but it will delay things by another three days (adding to this our bank manager has been ill the last 2).
Luckily the vendor has been quite accommodating and fair which helps no end.
I also stated to the agent full an open transparency at the beginning of the deal and have made a point of keeping him updated every step of the way which has placed us in good steed with them.

Round # 5... ding ding..

Cheers

B.D

UPDATE:
Contracts went unconditional on Thurs.
We now begin settlement period which is a relatively short 45 days and madly start looking for a tenant as we requested keys to show agents through in the contract.
We had two agents through on Fri. I'm still waiting on the second agent to get back to me but here is what the first one stated who..btw was also a joint agent selling the property in the first place.
Standouts where:
Informed me that he had sold more properties in our area than any other agent. Although he seemed genuine, I was a little doubtful given he doesn't have a single ad listed in our area currently..:(
He also agreed that the tenant should pay the PM fee's..
He said our asking rate was fair and reasonable and that there was little competition in the area so it's well placed to be filled in a reasonable time frame (don't know what his idea of "reasonable" is)
He believed we'd aim for a 5 year leas but we'd prob get a 3 x 3 etc..
His lease rate (for finding a tenant)....wait for it.... was double what every other agent had quoted me at 15%.
All other agents had quoted me 1 months rent of the 1st years lease (which is 8.1%).
Whilst fee's are not everything, I will be curious to see what other agent comes back with...
We're just about to head out to the property this afternoon and take an inventory of exactly what needs doing.
There is some small water damage in the roof plaster of two offices however my partners is a painter and decorator so that should be fixed pretty easily.

Anyway,
will keep you updated as we begin the search for a tenant..*fingers crossed this doesn't take too long..:)

cheers

B.D

Last edited:
great thread bird dog ... i guess what myself, and others thinking about dabbling, are really interested in is the blow by blow of actually looking for the property.

where did you look, what were your criteria's (the big one for a vacant property), what did you knock back and why, why did you choose this one?

i ask because i started looking, and feel overwhelmed by how much is available and need to narrow down a little - although have already ruled out retail atm (subject to change if convinced otherwise).

Interesting that fee of his,

Remember that you want a good commercial lease so with that in mind are you going to provide the lease or is the agent going to use the standard one?

Also if you are wanting a longer lease perhaps instead of making that fee 10% or even 8% why not tell him that it will be 8% plus 1% for each year after the first, second or third (where is up to you) not including options of course.

This way you get a nice long lease and the longer the better for the agent to, also thanks to your rachet clause and the fact that it is non-retail you can put a market review in every 5 years and not have your rent go down :).

of course then there is the debate on how long is too long:p

great thread bird dog ... i guess what myself, and others thinking about dabbling, are really interested in is the blow by blow of actually looking for the property.

where did you look, what were your criteria's (the big one for a vacant property), what did you knock back and why, why did you choose this one?

i ask because i started looking, and feel overwhelmed by how much is available and need to narrow down a little - although have already ruled out retail atm (subject to change if convinced otherwise).

Hi Lizzie,
Apologies for my tardy response however I’ve been mulling your question for a while and wanted to answer fully it but there are still some aspects of the deal that I cannot fully divulge just yet as we’re still in the settlement phase.

I will however answer what I can so here goes..
I spent a while analysing the different regions (being North, West, South and East) in my town and made my eventual decision on the following criteria.
• Future capital growth. Does the area have any major developments that could positively (or negatively) affect the investment.
• Affordability: I wanted to get into something a little larger than your small (mum and dad) workshop as whilst this area is easy to sell as you have a large audience, it also can sometimes make it harder to lease as a large part of your audience could be more interested in buying rather than having a landlord
• Size: I wanted something that was large enough so that my potential tenant was most likely coming from a previously successful business and was moving because his or her business was expanding. Referring back to the point above, with smaller properties you can tend to get first timers and I wasn’t that comfortable having my very first property swinging in the wind with a new business starter.
• Access: The property needed to not only have good access to freeways etc, but it also had to be on an easily accessible road (EG right at the front door for loading – unloading).
• Vacancy: Perhaps this was different to most but I actually chose the areas first and then started looking at properties (whether they were vacant or not) as they say you can fix bricks and mortar but you can move dirt. What this meant was that most of the stock in my chosen area was vacant. It seemed that any decent properties that had a tenant simply weren’t being sold which I guess makes perfect sense. Why would you sell something that’s ticking away in the background with a nice easy tenant. Very few properties had tenants which forced me to start considering what the bank considered “higher risk”. The upshot of this was that a vacant property is usually worth less than one with a tenant so we could immediately add value by simply installing a tenant.
By spending my Sunday afternoons pounding the pavement for over 8 months prior I knew there was low vacancy in the area by the lack of “for lease” signs coupled with low numbers available on the net.
This also tied into my other strategy on how quickly it would take to find a tenant.
• Growth: I decided on my area by actually taking a bit of a gamble on the future proposed development of major new transport arterial. Whilst this has not been approved (and I’m being a little speculative) I would say this was one of the main driving forces for me selecting this area. Initially I was looking a little further from the CBD but when this property came up, it ticked most of the boxes.
In addition, by selecting an area that was not only closer to the CBD but was land locked it mean that I wouldn’t be competing with all the new flashy wide span warehouses going up further out where there was land still being released.
• Condition. Whilst a newer property provides better depreciation benefit’s I knew that to get into what I wanted and at an acceptable capitalisation rate meant it may be an older style building. The one I chose was owned by a property and facilities management company so thankfully the building (although older) was pretty clean and tidy. EG: Could be used for food production etc..
• Location: We went for something that was closer to the CBD as I took comfort in believing that no matter what the state of the economy, proximity to the centre of all things would never change and if times got tough, at least we would have the very best chance of finding a tenant.
• In addition, a well know member on this forum once stated to me that all their properties were within 10K’s of the CBD which to me sounded logical.
• Industrial, office or retail. The decision for me was simple.
Retail meant less rent but more capital growth and this was at the opposite end of my growth strategy so it was struck off quite quickly. It’s leases are also (IMHO) the closest to Resi and Resi was what I was desperately trying to get away from.
Office: middle of the road when it came to rent v growth and most likely where I’ll dabble a little later but the office market in my town is pretty stagnant and not showing any signs of improving in the short term.
Industrial: This was where I started my commercial interest and was where I kept coming back to. Simple low key leases on building that I could take a broad look at and know fairly easily if it was workable. I also think this is where (potentially) the market is going to improve next (again this is speculative so take it with a grain of salt)
• Plan B, Plan C and everything after that. I am known for being a little bit of a information junkie and although I have made both good and bad mistakes in the past, I can safely say that 99% of them have been after a significant amount of researching and analysis. That way, for me anyway, I know that when I make a decision, I stick by it.
Part of that analysis was having several plans up my sleeve for the property in 5, 10, 15 and 20 years down the track so without going into a whole other thread, I will say that I have other ideas for the property when it reaches the end of its serviceable life.
I think it’s important to have several plans when going into any property as circumstance, economies & environments can change rather quickly and it pays to be on the front foot when they do.

Anyway, that’s about all I have for the moment as my head a little full today. I’m sure there will be further discussion and updates as they come to hand and I’ll be sure to update this thread as they do.

All the best

Last edited:
Back