Our Night Of Terror

I had the most terrifying night early Saturday morning, well not just me the entire family suffered.
We were lying in bed sound asleep when we were awoken buy someone bashing on our front door.
My wife and I both jumped out of bed and made sure our 16 week old son was ok.

Whoever it was kept banging on the front windows then what sounded like kicking the front security door. My wife was on the phone to 000 by now.
The front sensor light had come on and I could see their silhouette thru the glass panelling in the door. I was about to open the door when my wife started yelling... don't open the door. All I could think of was my 16 week old son and my wife and keeping them safe.

They were still there and they kicked at the front security door again and this time the adrenaline and fear had built up in me I started yelling and screaming at them and during this moment without realising I hit the glass panel on the door. They soon ran off pretty quick but we stayed inside until the police arrived.

Unfortunately I cut my wrist and back of my hand in the incident and called an Ambulance.

We are still not sure who it was but the neighbours a few doors down had a 16th birthday party that was supposed to be supervised. Alcohol bottles and cans where in our yard and neighbouring yards. Not well supervised

The police said they have spoken to suspects but I doubt nothing will come of it. So most likely drunken kids gave us the fright of our lives. I am not sure if the parents where supervising the party and I haven?t spoken to them yet as I was only discharged from hospital today.

The incident is somewhat a blur and it made me think what would I do different?
What if I had a gun? Would I use it? I don't really recall hitting the door but my wife said I was acting and yelling like a man possessed.....a man protecting his family and home. I don't know how others would react in this situation but I hope it never happens again.

Reminded me a bit of this story

Police arrested a 27-year-old man at Bullsbrook last night and charged him with a series of armed robbery offences over the bizarre late night rampage in normally sleepy Ellenbrook on Tuesday.

Police arrested the man shortly after they were notified of a person acting suspiciously at a rural Bullsbrook property about 5.30pm yesterday.

After being interviewed by officers from the Regional Investigations Unit he was charged over the Ellenbrook incidents.

The man allegedly went banging on people's doors armed with a rifle in Fewson Turn, about 10.45pm Tuesday night, demanding keys to a car.

Brandishing the rifle, the man tried to smash his way into one home, before the panicked female occupant threw the keys to her car out through the smashed front door window to the man, who drove off.

Police allege the man then used the vehicle to commit an armed robbery at the Woolworths petrol station near Main Street and the Promenade, Ellenbrook about 10.55pm, where he stole fuel and a $2 cigarette lighter.

I wouldn't be opening the door either to some mugs bashing away

Scary. It'll take you a while to get over the shock. Install a back-to-base alarm system, keep a baseball bat under the bed and get a German Shepherd. That's what we did. I came home with my three year old to find someone in the house with a knife. Another time we were woken up by two men trying to break into the French doors of our bedroom. Now we have a German shepherd nobody comes near us.

Now we have a German shepherd nobody comes near us.

Seriously the best advice ever - we used to have one. Got a phone call late one night from a neighbour asking to bring the dog around as they had unruly people on their front lawn. It seemed to do the trick.

Hope you guys are ok - I don't know what I would do in that situation.

If it's a regular occurrence consider installing crimsafe.
Get better soon.

Been living here for 11 years and its the first occurrence that has happened and the first the neighbours have heard of.

It is going to take a while to recover as I damaged nerves and tendons. Could be up to 6 months off work.

Dogs -> good (we have two)
Security Camera -> good (we don't have one)
Baseball bat??

I've played a lot of baseball, and at 6'2" and 90+ kg I can swing a baseball bat all day.

But, if you did want to "arm yourself" (bearing in mind that this weapon could end up being used against you) - I'd be wondering if a golf club (lighter, faster through the air and easier to swing, plus it would still hurt like fcuk when you belt them) wouldn't be a better option for most people.

One more thing - keep a heavy object (even a brick) nearby to a window. A broken window is a great way to attract the attention of your neighbours.

I sleep with a large portable LED butterfly light under the bed. Impossible to look at it.

Nice.

Last edited:
Good locks, good insurance, and the ability to defend your family is all that is needed.

I sleep with a large portable LED butterfly light under the bed. Impossible to look at it. Open that light up at someone and you instantly have the upperhand. You can see them, they can't see you (made worse that their pupils are most likely enormous to adjust to the dark light of night).

And remember, it's ok to use a baseball bat to protect yourself, but if you own a firearm and use it to protect your family from an intruder you'll face some hefty penalties. Got to keep the fight as fair as possible for the law breaker.

And remember, it's ok to use a baseball bat to protect yourself, but if you own a firearm and use it to protect your family from an intruder you'll face some hefty penalties. Got to keep the fight as fair as possible for the law breaker.

In your case cjay, I'd be taking my chances with legality of the firearm (I think the baseball bat would be bigger than you).

What's that saying.... "better to be judged by 12, than carried by 6"?

;)

Don't get hysterical!

Next time, pull open the blinds and tap the narrow end of this thing below against the window:

SMK_XS78_CO2.JPG

Then smile like this:

oldMen.jpg

They'll soon get the message lol

I'm wondering whether a handful of sand to the eyes followed by pounding with a blunt instrument may be a handy mixture. I sometimes wonder about the effect of a baseball bat or golf club in the confined spaces of a house. A small quantity of sand could be kept in a zip-lock bag in a drawer close to the bed.

baseball bat

Will be considering a baseball bat under the bed from now on.
It is just one of things that you think wont happen to you. When it does I was unprepared but to what extent do you go to.

In hindsight I probably should have just been quite and they might have taken off...but then again they might not of. Just regretting some of my actions:mad:

Glad I have my insurances all in place especially the income protection as this will save a lot of stress and help with some medical bills.

The incident is somewhat a blur and it made me think what would I do different?
What if I had a gun? Would I use it? I don't really recall hitting the door but my wife said I was acting and yelling like a man possessed.....a man protecting his family and home. I don't know how others would react in this situation but I hope it never happens again.

Good on you for protecting your family and your home. Sounds like it's a good thing you didn't have a gun or baseball bat or whatever. You were scary enough without one!
I find that having a dog really puts me at ease - he can do all the hard work. I don't have to worry about a thing.
Even though I'm a female, I really relate to the adrenaline thing and also the instinct to protect (strong in both genders).
From your post, I'm thinking that you're a bit shocked by your own behaviour which ended up hurting you. I do think that if you're the type to be a hero in a situation like this, you need to do stuff to protect yourself from you. The dog, the phone, practise talking in an authoritative dad-like way.... Were they sitting on your lawn all night boozing up? That's when I would've gone out and told them to poq. Of course, a dog wouldn't have tolerated it for a minute!
Hopefully it doesn't happen again. Anyway, I admire you for standing up to them - I probably would've gone outside. Things always sound worse when you're on the inside.

My dog is awesome for keeping dipshits away, his bark sounds mean. As to protection, I keep a couple of heavy Maglites next to the bed... anyone annoys me, a quick squirt of light to disorient/blind, then beat **** out of them with it

Holy puppy-dogs
I just saw this heading after posting mine and I can see it will be very insensitive. You poor guy, Hysteria, I hope you are not too badly hurt. I'll ask the mods to edit the heading on mine.

I was having a go at recent discussions by our new friend Freckle.
Best wishes

Back