Our Night Of Terror

conversely how much crime do we endure as a result of our over tolerance? if you thought every second home had a shooter inside do you think theft, rape and murder in the family home would be anywhere near what we must endure now?

Dramatic much? Australia's murder rate is relatively low at 1.1/100k, personally I think if every idiot had a gum the rate we'd have to "endure" would be a hell of a lot higher than it is now

Many posters have said that having a dog is a good deterrent to intruders. Here is a short story of an incident that occurred in our neighbourhood recently.
A young girl was walking home from school when a German Shepherd owned by an elderly couple in our street attacked her and left her with several lacerations to her arm and cheek. The elderly gentleman had inadvertently left the side gate open whilst gardening. The father of the girl when seeing her grabbed a long neck beer bottle and went straight to the house of the dog where he smashed the bottle over the dog's head and jabbed the broken remainder of bottle into dogs throat.
When police arrived they said it saved them shooting the dog.
Not all people are scared of dogs! Often dogs are baited prior to robberies.

Hope your arm heals quickly.

Sounds like a story of an irresponsible dog owner.

Dogs are an excellent deterrent if trained correctly and are owned by a responsible owner.

If not then you can only blame the owner, not the poor dog.

Many posters have said that having a dog is a good deterrent to intruders. Here is a short story of an incident that occurred in our neighbourhood recently.
A young girl was walking home from school when a German Shepherd owned by an elderly couple in our street attacked her and left her with several lacerations to her arm and cheek. The elderly gentleman had inadvertently left the side gate open whilst gardening. The father of the girl when seeing her grabbed a long neck beer bottle and went straight to the house of the dog where he smashed the bottle over the dog's head and jabbed the broken remainder of bottle into dogs throat.

Hope your arm heals quickly.

Sounds like a story of an irresponsible dog owner. Dogs are an excellent deterrent if trained correctly and are owned by a responsible owner. If not then you can only blame the owner, not the poor dog.

I agree regarding irresponsible owners.

However, all dogs are, in essence, wolves.

And for that reason I would never leave my dogs, despite only being spaniels (a springer and a cocker) unattended with children (we don't have kids, so they don't often "meet" kids). Nor are they ever unsupervised when they are outside, and the gate is always shut.

But, imo certain dog breeds are more akin to leaving a loaded gun lying around - or to put it another, perhaps less contentious way - there are certain dog breeds that I would never consider owning because I consider them too dangerous.

An Alsatian would be one of those breeds.

And there was a case just a couple of weeks back, just around the corner from where I used to live (we moved 4 mths ago) of an elderly wheelchair bound woman who was out walking her dog (a Papillon) when 3 dogs attacked them.

The attacking dogs were unattended and jumped a fence, killing the smaller dog and injuring the woman. The dogs involved were a Staffordshire Cross , a Shar Pei Cross, an American Pitt Bull.

The owner of the Staffy and the Shar Pei was already in trouble with the council for his dogs wandering the neighbourhood - but he had appealed the councils decision to take the dogs off him. :mad:

They used to wander past our place and if I saw them I'd go and waive a driver (golf club) in their direction, as we have hens and I didn't want them getting any ideas other than "that man will take my head off given 1/2 a chance".

The 3 dogs have been destroyed and, as much as the local council can, they're prosecuting the owners.

And the lady now has a new Papillon puppy.

When I was growing up we had a German Shepard . At one stage we live in a culedesac . Every house in that street was broken into except us and the house either side . Trixie was a wouse at heart but a noisy one ...

Cliff

The U.S. model sees approx 32000 gun deaths pa. Adjusted to Australia's population that would see us with 2400 pa. In 2011 (most recent stat I could find) we saw 188 deaths.

Big difference.

32000, let's put that in perspective.

In the Vietnam War 1955-75 the US lost 58000 troops.

So in the streets of the U.S. we lose more people in two years than they lost in 20 years of combat operations in Vietnam.

Relate it to any war, Afghanistan, since 2001, 2400 lost from memory....

So Ausprop are you just taking the **** when you think every second household should be armed to reduce crime here in Australia?

So Ausprop are you just taking the **** when you think every second household should be armed to reduce crime here in Australia?

I thought you guys knew better than to feed the trolls. Carrying guns results in people dying and going to jail. This is why myself and others on this thread advocate the use of pocket sand. Sure it's uncomfortable when it gets in your eyes, but you won't be causing death or any permanent injuries. Pocket sand FTW.

The U.S. model sees approx 32000 gun deaths pa. Adjusted to Australia's population that would see us with 2400 pa. In 2011 (most recent stat I could find) we saw 188 deaths.

Big difference.

32000, let's put that in perspective.

In the Vietnam War 1955-75 the US lost 58000 troops.

So in the streets of the U.S. we lose more people in two years than they lost in 20 years of combat operations in Vietnam.

Relate it to any war, Afghanistan, since 2001, 2400 lost from memory....

I wouldn't say the US' gun crime + murder stats are primarily due to their gun laws. Let's consider that gun deaths p.a in other 'heavily' armed societies such as Switzerland which have no where near the same rate.

Or that higher gun crime is found in the US States with the most restrictive gun laws, not the most lenient.

Or fun graphs like this:

1998-11_self-defence-figure2.gif

Crime, Deterrence,
And The Right-To-Carry Concealed Handguns, Journal of Legal Studies, vol. XXVI (January 1997), p35.

Or that gun crime is centered around specific socio-economic groups:

7955-20140819161418000000000.png

Or this one after Australia put in restrictions on gun ownership:

1998-11_self-defence-figure3.gif

Source: Australia Bureau of Statistics data.

Or that NZ with more relaxed gun laws has a lower homicide rate than Australia.

Or that Switzerland with more relaxed gun laws has a lower homicide rate than Australia

I'm not advocating one way or another, but I think it's a little naive to give the impression that there's a clear pattern of gun ownership and an increase in violent crime.

Wow, that's quite dramatic.

Dogs are not always good deterrents - our story is we had a smart, big, black male Rottweiler-cross dog that was very noisy and good at alerting us, but seemed to quite happily let in some robbers when we were all at work. They went down the side gate into the backyard and jimmied open a back window - came home to find it ajar, everything rummaged through inside, and a happy, tail-wagging dog (so obviously not baited).

Wow, that's quite dramatic.

Dogs are not always good deterrents - our story is we had a smart, big, black male Rottweiler-cross dog that was very noisy and good at alerting us, but seemed to quite happily let in some robbers when we were all at work. They went down the side gate into the backyard and jimmied open a back window - came home to find it ajar, everything rummaged through inside, and a happy, tail-wagging dog (so obviously not baited).

Had you considered it was someone you knew..and the dog liked?

My daughter had a break in a few years ago...it was someone who had been at her place a lot...and her dog knew him.

Yes but essentially your comment is just responsible dog ownership, not really a breed specific/animal thing.

I would dare say any dog over about 15kg is dangerous to most people in the wrong situation, however that is up to the owner to control.

I want a Boerboel as my next dog, however it will be exercised in remote locations and kept in my large yard and very well trained. Once again, up to me to control the dog and no one else.

I agree regarding irresponsible owners.

However, all dogs are, in essence, wolves.

And for that reason I would never leave my dogs, despite only being spaniels (a springer and a cocker) unattended with children (we don't have kids, so they don't often "meet" kids). Nor are they ever unsupervised when they are outside, and the gate is always shut.

But, imo certain dog breeds are more akin to leaving a loaded gun lying around - or to put it another, perhaps less contentious way - there are certain dog breeds that I would never consider owning because I consider them too dangerous.

An Alsatian would be one of those breeds.

Yes but essentially your comment is just responsible dog ownership, not really a breed specific/animal thing.

Well, I'd argue that a responsible dog owner wouldn't (for instance) get a Pitt Bull.

But some people are idiots and their choice of a breed reflects that.

As long as the hand it ultimately bites is their own - fine.

I would dare say any dog over about 15kg is dangerous to most people in the wrong situation, however that is up to the owner to control.

So considering some breeds don't get above 15 kg, then even you agree that it is at least partially about breeds (and I've known some snap happy Jack Russell's btw).

But I agree, no one frets when the owner of a Chihuahua loses control of their dog (other than the owner themselves, that is).

Funnily enough I had my face torn open by our Jack Russell when I was 8, and now wear a beard to prevent being asked about the large scars. Rescue dog who had been beaten for the first 3 years of its life, so I don't blame it for reacting when I patted it from behind, it didn't know any better...

I agree something under 15kg can be dangerous, was just a rough guesstimate on a size where it really becomes dangerous to anyone from a child to an adult.

I think people can buy Pitt Bulls and Mastiffs. In fact they are very loyal and intelligent dogs. The issue is irresponsible people buy them and purposely encourage aggressive behaviour and reinforce the stigma of the breed.

Give an idiot a Labrador or a Pitt Bull and you will end up with an equally dangerous dog.

Removing the idiots from the equation is the hardest part.

Anyway, we digress.

Well, I'd argue that a responsible dog owner wouldn't (for instance) get a Pitt Bull.

But some people are idiots and their choice of a breed reflects that.

As long as the hand it ultimately bites is their own - fine.

So considering some breeds don't get above 15 kg, then even you agree that it is at least partially about breeds (and I've known some snap happy Jack Russell's btw).

But I agree, no one frets when the owner of a Chihuahua loses control of their dog (other than the owner themselves, that is).

After all that has been said and done it look like I will make a full recovery....but will take a while. It will leave a few nasty scars on my arm. This will be a good reminder to me of that night and maybe think how to handle things better and be prepared.
As it turns out a teenage party down the road knocked back some gate crashers...then they end up on our front lawn. Drunk, bored and frustrated they started bashing and kicking our door.
I am not a little guy, I look after myself and I have always been active in physical exercise and working out.
I wear ear plugs to bed as I have a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea. My sister suggested next time keeps your mask on and open the door naked. That should scare them.

If I had the time again I would have just chilled a bit. I think the wife and young son in our crib amplified my reaction. I know having a child and wife screaming in tears made me more protective...and scared myself.
Some comfort is having income protection over the next few months while I cannot work. It is surprising how many people say to me it is lucky you have income protection. Lucky? It's your choice to have income protection. It is lucky things were not worse off that night.
Amen to that.

I am not a little guy, I look after myself and I have always been active in physical exercise and working out.
I wear ear plugs to bed as I have a CPAP machine for sleep apnoea. My sister suggested next time keeps your mask on and open the door naked. That should scare them.

If I had the time again I would have just chilled a bit. I think the wife and young son in our crib amplified my reaction. I know having a child and wife screaming in tears made me more protective...and scared myself.
Some comfort is having income protection over the next few months while I cannot work. It is surprising how many people say to me it is lucky you have income protection. Lucky? It's your choice to have income protection. It is lucky things were not worse off that night.
Amen to that.

You need one of these.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...house-a-safe-bet/story-fngr8i1f-1227111034348

Had you considered it was someone you knew..and the dog liked?

My daughter had a break in a few years ago...it was someone who had been at her place a lot...and her dog knew him.

At the time we couldn't think of anyone who would fit the bill, although it would restore my faith in dogs if that was the case, and our dog wasn't just coerced with some bbq chicken or tasty treats.

Don't get hysterical!

Next time, pull open the blinds and tap the narrow end of this thing below against the window:

SMK_XS78_CO2.JPG

Then smile like this:

oldMen.jpg

They'll soon get the message lol

If they are drunk they would most probably say shoot me and keep harassing you (first hand experience)

Back