Our roof restoration nightmare (Brisbane)

Some pictures from DVD video I took just before the roof was painted:
showing how bad the quality of their work.
I arrived at 6AM and took the photos and videos.

Attachments

• pointing halfly done.jpg
    pointing halfly done.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 204
  • pointing mortar cracks.jpg
    pointing mortar cracks.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 230
  • pointing not properly.JPG
    pointing not properly.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
Some pictures from DVD video I took just before the roof was painted:
showing how bad the quality of their work.
I arrived at 6AM and took the photos and videos.

From the pic looks like they repointed, you can see a nice smooth finish on the
pointing that has been painted.
But they have left the edge of the roof which should have been covered with flexipoint,
Flexipoint is what they use as pointing these days they don't use mortar anymore.

The machine for cleaning looks like a big round disc floor cleaner but with high pressure water.
Some companies use them other not.

I'm sure there are good roof restorers out there but few and far between.
I have just completed my parents roof myself first using a gerni then a dozen
bottles of bleach sprayed on, then two coats of build up primer then two
coats of top coat.
Total coast around $4000.00 for a big 300sq metre roof, and this included
a professional roofer to repoint.
Looks like a new roof again after 42 years.
I think you will only get a good lasting look if you use darker gloss colours,
looking at some older roofs that have been repainted lighter colours they tend to
become dirty looking after a few years and moldy is a flat finish has been used. .
I went with Nutechpaints which is manufactured in Melbourne and use
teflon in the manufacture of their paints.

"From the pic looks like they repointed, you can see a nice smooth finish on the
pointing that has been painted."

nww, thanks for the post.
the photos (except the antenna balun) had been taken before they painted the roof. "The nice smooth finish on the pointing" was old paint.

It doesn't matter what material was used for pointing, it shouldn't have so many cracks.

A few issues, the high pressure cleaner you described is used by some. All roof traffic has the potential to cause leaks... it is inevitable, each time I get on the roof I end up breaking a tile accidently.

The "pointing half done" is just an area where they have repointed and an area of old repointing. The "cracks" are absolutely normal and would've been there for years, the old pointing was just mortar with no flexible modifiers added. Repointing the entire roof is not part of the process, just the areas that are unstable.

I don't see that these guys did anything that is different to what you'd expect for this job.

Pulse

A few issues, the high pressure cleaner you described is used by some. All roof traffic has the potential to cause leaks... it is inevitable, each time I get on the roof I end up breaking a tile accidently.

The "pointing half done" is just an area where they have repointed and an area of old repointing. The "cracks" are absolutely normal and would've been there for years, the old pointing was just mortar with no flexible modifiers added. Repointing the entire roof is not part of the process, just the areas that are unstable.

I don't see that these guys did anything that is different to what you'd expect for this job.

Pulse

Pulse:

The work order / Quotation stated the work included cap overpoint, tile repoint, point capping capping using flexible compound pointing. And the guy who did the quote told me they would repoint the whole roof. He asked me whether I wanted it done. I said yes. I paid extra money for the option (I could have got cheaper if I hadn't agreed his suggestion).

The cracks are new. You can see the black colour. The original roof colour is terracotta colour. I don't think the cracks are acceptable. Anyway, on Friday they promised to come back on Saturday to complete the work they were unable to do due to electricity supply problem in the region. However they never turn up. So original three days work was cut short to 2 days. How would you explain?

Well, let me give you an example. You hire a painter to paint a new large steel front gate. He tells you it will take him two days to complete the job. One day the painter arrives at your place but he can't do anything due to rain. So he says he will come back tomorrow. But it never happens. Two weeks later he turns up and finishes painting in one day. So what is missing here? How do you know if he used undercoat or not?

(We bought a house many years ago from a "builder". He painted the steel gate without undercoat. Yes, it started peeling several months later.)

Last edited:
Old Roof

Generally speaking old terracotta roofs only need repointing and replacement of broken tiles. An industry of fly by nighters has operned up where they prey on peoples need for the roof to look good. However if you asked your next dinner party guest what your roof was made of 9 out of 10 people wont be able to tell you.

Best to spend your hard earned on things that the tenants notice - doors that dont lock properly, bathroom facelift, etc. Most tenants wouldn't give a tinkers cuss about the roof - it may make you feel better but save your money for things that really lift the rents.

If its not broke.................................mmmm

Just my two bobs and have spent the best part of ten years on roofs!

Our roof is a bit dodgy, but after quotes ranging from $8000 to $11,000 to fix it, we ended up simply investing in several kilos of tekscrews to replace the nails (or rather, fill the holes where the nails were) and several tubes of roofing silicone. And now, finally, new gutters. Total cost about $300 or so. Doesn't look especially fantastic, but doesn't leak anymore either, which is all the person living in the house cares about.

You might want to get on your roof with ye olde roofing silicon yourself just to stop more water damage. Dubious, but dry while you're chasing the roofer.

Pulse
I tend to agree,the cracks would be old,you cant expect someone to rip up your entire roof and repoint it:rolleyes:
I would like to see a photo of the finished area that you are showing,and seeing if it is still cracked after the finished product.
A lot of areas are seen as they are working and fixed at the end.
There is still a broken tile somewhere there.:confused:
Have you been on the roof and looked or had someone up there since?

The causes of the leak have been found. Last Sunday, brisbane had heavy rain. I found four areas were leaking. Three were from the screws which are used to hold the wires of the antenna (see photo above). These screws were loosened. Obviously during the roof cleaning, these screws were hit by the heavy duty mower-like cleaning machine. As a result, rain water tracked down, getting into the ceiling. When these two guys were cleaning the ceiling, I asked them how come the antenna pointed to the wrong direction. They said there were no bolts at the bottom of the pole. But it they hadn't hit the wires of the antenna, the antenna and the pole wouldn't have rotated.

The 4th was from a cracked tile which is just below the roof capping. The roof men didn't replace it but instead painted it over. I don't think they missed it because it's a big crack which is vertically across the tile.

The ceiling plaster has sagged due to water damage. It's going to cost extra money to have it repaired. Also we are forced to cancel this Wednesday's open house. So we are going to lose rental as well.

Back