Our tenants are being evicted today

My patience has run out now.

We're waiting for the sheriff to come and kick them out, but we don't have a date yet. Getting really frustrated at being unable to do anything. Arg!

The reason for not paying is that one of their employers stopped paying them.
I understand that they can't pay on a single income. If they are being honest then it's pretty sad situation for them. We've never met them, they had no previous rental history and have been in the property for 7 mths.

No they are not being honest. No one works for 3 months without being paid. Either way it's not up to you to support your tenants through their financial difficulties.

My big concern would be with the PM. How did they let them fall 3 mths behind? To let them pay now won't mean they continue paying after they are paid up, and you breach the tribunal decision by doing so, so back to square one.

Evict them and get a new PM.

Jodie, how come they are still there. Your post on 26 March said they were being evicted that day, although your husband said if they paid up to day he might let them stay a week or so longer.

Well they obviously have not paid anything still so I am wondering why there are still in residence???

My patience has run out now.

We're waiting for the sheriff to come and kick them out, but we don't have a date yet. Getting really frustrated at being unable to do anything. Arg!

I knew it would.
We evicted a family just after New Year. At the hearing they agreed to a mediated settlement. Funny thing..they haven't missed a payment and only 2 more to go.They are declaring bankruptcy.When they rented from us, we couldn't get them to pay on time. Wonder if they are late with their new landlord, so they can pay us?

In SA if a person can be legally evicted as per the tribunal order, the bailiff is there within hours.

Can you get the PM to fax the orders to you?

Your situation sounds most unusual in how it's being dealt with. Perhaps NSW is different. Or does the problem lie with your PM?

I would have thought these people could have been evicted weeks ago if they weren't following payment orders.

Jodie, how come they are still there

They are refusing to leave. The TCCC said they had to be out by the 26th of March but they did not leave.

We've now just got word from the Sheriff. The Sheriff will be out on the 15th of April (that's the earliest they can do).

The Sheriff is the one who can physically remove them from the property and change the locks. I just really hope they don't leave any property in there for us to deal with.

Funny how some people feel sorry for these people..........

I guess with one IP only (at the moment) in your portfolio, I might be able to sympathise.....but

You are the one not being paid.....I feel sorry for you!

Get them out on the eviction date and no later.

F

After being in this game for a while, I find you toughen up a little. When I walk into a tenants home and they have "top of the line" furniture & cars,etc, much better than I own, then they cry poor over the slightest little thing and want you to put in a dishwasher/air-conditioner/awning or whatever else it is and don't expect to pay extra for it, I just roll my eyes. They have made their choices in life (spend all their money on crap) and I have made mine (rent to those who either can't afford or won't afford a place of their own).

I'm not a charity, so I expect my properties to bring in an income. My IPs are my Superannuation. If they don't want to pay, they can move elsewhere.

Exactly, I was doing some low maintenance landscaping to a place I bought (i.e. removing earth around weepholes of brick perimeter as it was identified on Building Inspection Report) and didn't let the tenants know I was the owner. After a couple of hous working, a delivery man rocked up with a 50 inch plasma for them.

A week later I got a call from my PM saying that the aerial all of a sudden doesn't work. They were also wanting a splitter to watch two tvs. I told the PM it was working fine at beginning of tenancy (or even a week before they got the plasma in) so they can fix it.

Haven't heard anything since.

Cheers,

F

I wouldn't go as far as calling them losers and morons. It's possible it could happen to anyone. Very few people have income protection insurance (us included). It's possible that they've been expecting their pay all this time which simply hasn't come in due to no fault of their own. They did tell the PM the first week that their pay wasn't in and they weren't able to pay the rent. They said they'll pay when they get paid, which should be on Friday's. Though they haven't made any contribution at all towards the rent in that time. It would be hard for them to move out without being paid too, so they're stuck in a awkward situation.

This leads me to another question, if the sheriff does lock them out and they have belongings still inside the apartment, what happens to those things?

I've no idea. I wonder if they have explored that option.

I hope you have a good landlord insurance policy!! You may need it.

With regards to tenants belongings and them being locked inside, I guess it depends on which state you are in.

When my tenants were evicted last year, they left alot of crap in the house. I had to get the PM's handyman in to pack it all up ans put int in storage. Under Queensland legislation, the landlord has to put the uncollected tenants belongings in storage for up to 3 months. (Yes and pay for rental space). If they don't come to the PM to collect their belongings, the landlord is able to auction / sell belongings. In my case there was a fair bit of stuff. If they did show up to collect stuff, the agent wouldn't release belongings until they paid for loss of rent and damage. This didn't happen...They didn't want their stuff back....Very weird.

I wanted to get all gear out and clean it up in order to relet property out ASAP. On the tenants removal, they decided to break a few walls, gass doors, damaged 10month old varnish to all wooden floors.

Buggers!

Cheers,

F

After all this mess has been sorted out (and it is a mess, but what a way to learn), fire your property manager. The PM should have a letter when the rent falls into arrears by one day.

...experience tells me that if you give them an inch they WILL take a mile.

Such a great quote. Very relevant here. Good luck!

You totally have my sympathy! we are about to do this ourselves. Our previous PM (not the one I recommended on here) put a total pain in the *rse in one of our houses years ago and we have been trying to get rid of them ever since.
Most of our rentals are in a slummy area and we know the sort of people that usually rent them and can usually wear the problems that brings. We have good insurance.
Anyway with the court system here we only get one hearing per week. We have already had one hearing for repeated breaches(and they let her stay until end of lease) and now that her due date to leave has passed we are going back to get the sheriff in. Her date to leave was Easter weekend so because of the public holidays etc we can't even go back to court until next week. With our luck they will give her a month to move out!
At least insurance will cover the lost rent.
This tenant though can't even get help from the assistance agencies because of her record!
And there's kids involved which makes me angry because they will suffer because of their slack parents.
BUt like the others say, what will the bank do to you if you don't pay the mortgage? It is a business at the end of the day, and whilest you can be kind , you aren't running a charity.

Back