Our USA holiday

After the sale of the business ( http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21229&highlight=kevin+hockey+national+sold ) we decided a holiday in America was a good idea, there was so much there I wanted to see and Adele and I had set ourselves a goal of taking the boys to Disneyland since they were very small and now was as good a time as any. We began planning the trip and decided on Disneyland, New York and a beach as destinations we wanted to visit and Hawaii was decided as the last leg.

We visited many places and landmarks including :-

Los Angeles
Disneyland
California Adventureland
Santa Monica and it's famous beaches
Hollywood
Universal Studios
Rodeo Drive
Sunset Bvd
New York incl Manhattan, Brooklyn
We crossed the Brooklyn Bridge
Hudson River
Central Park
Times Square
Empire State Building
Statue of Liberty
The Twin Towers site form Sept 11 2001
Ellis Island
We saw Lion King on Broadway
we stayed on Broadway
Madison Square Gardens
Waikikki Hawaii
Pearl Harbour

There was so much more but those are most of the primary places. We saw the homes, property, restaurants etc of famous Hollywood stars and locations of many infamous landmarks incl. the cafe in which Million Dollar Baby featured (where Hillary Swank worked), where Hugh Grant was caught with the prostitute, where John Lennon was assassinated on his front doorstep and many many more.

We can tell you that :-

They drive on the wrong side of the road ...but you know that :)
The light switches are opposite to ours. Push the switch down to turn it off.
The toilets are wierd. They fill up around 2/3rds full. Not going into detail here but.......eeewwwwwww
Didnt get dark until around 8pm
Wages are low and they expect tips. They are taxed on the basis of an expected income which includes tips. Tips are usually 15-20%.
When you buy anything it does not include tax. We would often get to the counter with the correct monies and forget about the tax.
There is 17,500 taxi's in New York alone.
The smog in LA and NY is horrendous. See line above :)
Everywhere you go it is by freeway. Sometimes the freeways can be up to 14 lanes and sometimes the freeways are stacked on top of each other, up to 4 high we saw.
The streets have the old newstands where you put in your coins and lift up the lid to get your paper.
Petrol is a lot cheaper. Around $2.65 per gallon. About $35 to fill up.
In some places you are allowed to turn at lights even on a red light. This is only if you are turning right, which is like turning left in Oz.
Security is on high alert. We saw police with machine guns in the subways and at Central Pk. We passed thru so many metal detectors, not just airports either.
No public toilets. Few restaurants have toilets.
Many shops do not have change rooms for trying on clothing. We had to put it on over our existing clothes and see if it fitted.
I saw no ants or mosquitos during the entire trip.
In NY and Hawaii they would have a movie night for everyone to attend on a giant screen. People would flock to the park or beach to watch a movie with hundreds of others.

Different words used are:-

Thongs = Flip flops
Shopping centres are malls
Hello is Hiya all
Petrol is called Gas
Chips are fries
Soft drink is Pop or Soda

Overall the Americans were fantastic. They are very friendly and love us Aussies. Whenever we got talking they would ask so many questions and always say they wanted to come to Oz to visit. On bus tours etc when the guide would ask where we were from, everyone would want to talk to us. Both the boys made friends there. A group of kids about 20years old were having a great time with Cam, asking him questions about here and then started throwing stuff at him over brekky. It was very funny. They high fived him as they left. Some girls walked past Adele and I in Hawaii saying how cute Cam was on the beach and took his photo. Matt spent hours talking with the local kids when swimming.

Our holiday was an incredible experience which has provided us many memories. There is so many more stories such as Cameron going missing for about 4 hours, Matt and I riding the same roller coaster 2 days before they crashed injuring 14 people, flying to Canada the same day the French plane crashed, being sprayed with capsicum spray or something similar in a Subway store at Madison Sq Gardens by the owners and the list goes on. All these events are in my diary I kept of our trip.

We are happy to be back now, ( I ran out of undies ) and can highly recommend the USA as a holiday destination.

Kev Adele Matt and Cam

Hi Kev - I can relate to some of this. The most incredible appreciation for me was the sheer kindness of strangers - even in New York City. If you looked lost (and I did most the time) people would just come from nowhere to help you out. I got off the subway platform and had no idea which way to turn :(, the train driver, yes the train driver, leaned out of his window and told me to just turn here and go up there etc... I couldn't believe it - but then I have been to Central station in Sydney too many times.

Sounds like you will have great memories for ever.....

Kevin Hockey said:
... in a Subway store at Madison Sq Gardens by the owners
I'd like to hear about this one ... think I'll pass on the undies story.

Ah ... why not ... let's hear the undies story too.

alwayscurious said:
Was it this that caused you to run out of undies?
Maybe he ran out of money to "tip" with and had to use his undergarments as a gratuity!!! Or maybe Kevin wanted to show that some Aussies go beyond simply giving "the shirt off your (their) back" hence using the "undies off his butt"!!!! :eek: :p

BTW Kevin, did you forget:

Electriciity runs @ 120 volts instead of 240 so blow drying your hair takes twice as long!!! :mad: :p

Toilet bowls are so close to the ground you are almost sitting on the seat legs straight out in front of you!!! :eek: (BTW....thanks for mentioning the water level; I thought I was the only one who ever noticed and/or complained!!!!) :cool:

They put cheese on everything, including in squeezable bottles on tables!!! It may sound nice, but it's not; it tastes like liquid plastic!!! :(

They serve "fries" with just about every meal!!! :eek:

Coffee is this dirty-dish-water type of liquid that is as tasteless as it is murky!!! :(

Tipping is required for just about EVERYTHING!!! :D

And that's probably the extent of it. All in all, it is a wonderful place, and I agree, anyone who has never been to the US really SHOULD make it a priority; the people are just sooooo friendly!!! ;)

Last edited:
Patosan said:
I'd like to hear about this one ... think I'll pass on the undies story.

Ah ... why not ... let's hear the undies story too.

We were in Madison Square Garden when we came across a Subway store where we decided to go for lunch. We sat and were part way through our rolls when a young kid came in, he would have been around 12yo. He sat down at a table, then went to the counter and asked to go to the toilet. He was then told there was no toilets and was shown a sign indicating such. He sat down again and soon began singing loudly and being silly.

He then went back to the counter and asked for a cup to get some water or ice from the drink machine but was told "no cup" (The owners were Mexican). He sat down again and by this time was joined by another kid. They began singing really loud and just generally acting strange. The next thing I know my eyes were beginning to sting and I figured they must have been preparing onions. The 2 guys behind the counter had towels over their faces. It began to get worse and my eyes were really stinging. The kids left but so did we have to, it was getting painful.

It was then obvious they had used some form of Mace in the airconditioning to get rid of the kids. Interesting philosophy I thought.

Geoff, is this part of the training.......

As for the undies, no we just didn't get to wash while we were away. Surprisingly the roller coaster had no effect. You have to understand I have an immense fear of heights. When we go to resorts etc and we have a floor high up with a balcony I only ever put one leg out. I then check what view I can and quickly make my way back inside. I am fine on planes, as I know it's worth it for the adventure, but there has been 2 things I had sworn I would NEVER do. One was a rollercoaster...especially if it did a loop, the other is Helicopters, far too many fall out the sky for my liking.

When I realised Adele had booked us in for a helicopter ride I hit the roof. No way I said, they crash. Adele assured me I was wrong. 2 days later 2 crashed into the Hudson River right where we were going. Anyway, I braved it and lived to tell the tale and most of all needed no change rooms afterwards.

Monopoly, you obviously haven't seen my photo :D

I have no hair to blowdry. I also don't drink coffee so can't comment there either.

We took 617 photos ( I am sure Adele was Japanese in a past life ) and 10.5 hrs of video footage.

In New York we met some locals who were a little less friendly but this was primarily due to how stressed they are. It is simply just so full on, the speed at which the city moves is incredible. As we bought our tickets for the NYC loop tours the girl wouldn't smile so I decided to make her laugh. She was very attractive and I thought it was a waste not to see her smile. ;) Eventually she did and I said to her how everyone looks so stressed out. She commented "thats New York". I then got a friendly smile, a thank you and goodbye. My work was done :D

1 more thing - The Lion King was absolutely superb.

Kev

We were in the US on Sept 11. They closed down all the amusement parks. We only found out what had happened when we turned up at the gates of Disneyland & were told that it was closed for Security purposes. When we went back to our room it was all over the TV. It scared the kids a bit.

One of the first things we noticed when we got there was the toilets. All that water & they never seem to flush right. We only did California, Vegas & Mexico. We did find public toilets, however as you got closer to the boarder you had to pay to use them.

The people are amazingly friendly & helpful. Would have loved to stay longer & see more of the country.

Kevin Hockey said:
Geoff, is this part of the training...
Definitely not- that really staggers me. I don't know if it's becasue the're so much more paranoid over there.
Kevin Hockey said:
When I realised Adele had booked us in for a helicopter ride I hit the roof.
If you'd hit the roof too hard, you might have hit the rotor blades.
Kevin Hockey said:
being sprayed with capsicum spray or something similar in a Subway store
I have been sprayed with capsicum spray at Subway. When you're putting the capsicums through the slicer, there is a fine spray.

I haven't been to the US since 9/11- but the people were always friendly and welcoming. I've had total strangers drive miles out of their way to make sure I went in the right direction. In a restaurant, I've not been charged for a drink because the waiter had to be reminded to bring it. Americans at home are some of the friendliest and most helpful people anywere.

Hi Kevin.

Sounds like you and the family had a blast. :D .

Can also relate to some of your tales, although never (unfortunately) got to New York when I was there.

May I recommend you get to Vegas next time you get over that way. Heaps to see and do, and you don't even have to gamble.

Can also recall the Americans being very friendly as well as the local Hawaiians. I remember when flying from one island to another I got talking to a couple of local Hawaiians who asked where we were staying. On my reply, one of them said that she was a maid there and that she and hubby would give us a lift there. They took us via their place and put on a huge spread and we ended up staying there for hours. I couldn't believe their hospitality.

On another sight seeing trip, met an elderly couple who turned out to be owners of some major in Texas and were worth millions (if not billions), yet were so down to earth and very friendly. We swapped addresses etc and when we returned home they had already sent books and souvenirs relating to Dallas, Texas etc.

Anyway, glad you had a great time and now you can start planning your next trip.

Regards
Marty

Marty, thats a fantastic story. Its great to be able to hold onto those memories on days when you want to question humanity.

Last October was my 40th and one of my best mates gave me a birthday present with a difference. He drove me to Redcliffe and arranged to throw me out of a plane at 14,000ft (They were kind enough to upgrade me from 10,000ft, bless them ) Ever since, whilst at the time I didn't know it, I have drawn on that experience of moving so far from my comfort zone. I have done a few things since then I never expected I would.

We would love another trip to America and Vegas is on that list along with San Francisco, Washington and Miami - Florida. However I think Europe will be our next trip.

Kev

NY rocks! If i had to live in a place in the States that I have visited it would be Greenwich Village in NY. (admittedly I haven't been to EVERY state in the US but that would be no. 1 choice and Colorado with a view of the mountains a close second!)

Loved hearing about your trip...thanks for sharing. Took me back to when I was in the US with my dearest friend. We are each in a new phase of our lives now but it is a WONDERFUL thing to have shared. I have a pic of us together in Central Park on my desk and your posts all made me pick up the photo and gaze at it fondly. Thanks for that little interlude.

Hope your kids have great memories too!

My friend visited the US and found the following linguistic anomallies.....

"Thongs" are generally not worn by men

"Stuffed" means something else - the statement "that was a long flight, I am stuffed" does not make sense over there.

As for "going outside to have a fag"......

Re: the mysterious toilet bowls, I have seen them in Japan too (if they are not the trad "crouchers")....

Cheers,

The Y-man

I've had a long association with the USA, having worked and holidayed there since 1979. I have always found Yanks friendly towards Aussies. However, they generally don't have our subtle sense of humour, and there is a higher level of patriotism and religious belief.

Overall, I love the US. There is a positive can do attitude. And I believe their love of country is a very positive thing. I think we take too much for granted in Oz, and are apathetic. If you are trying to achieve something in the US, people support you. In the 70s in Oz, people tended to knock you.

I had intended becoming a US citizen many years ago, but solemnly and gradually realized the US is a great place when you have money in your pocket, and a hell when you don't. And over the last 20 years, I have seen a need for more and more cheap labour imported into the US to prop up the standard of living. This continues to exacerbate socio economic problems. However, you won't see all this at Disneyland.

thefirstbruce said:
However, they generally don't have our subtle sense of humour
Agreed.

I went to a town where I knew a number of people. There was a St Vincent de Paul store, with a big sign which read "Wednesday. Clothes half off".

Half the people I talked to still didn't see anything funny, the other half saw the joke, but had never read the sign that way.

Here are Kev's photos..

Adele in Times Square:
8DSC00007_sml.JPG

Adele Matt and Cameron with Ground Zero in the background
8DSC00011_sml.JPG

Adele and Kev on the boat after having gone under Niagarra Falls
8DSC00023_sml.JPG

Adele and Kev at the statue of Liberty
8DSC00029_sml.JPG

Adele Cam and Kev at Disneyland. Its Disney's 50th birthday this
year and there is so much happening as a celebration
8USA_vacation_067_sml.JPG

Adele in Hollywood
8USA_vacation_206_sml-med.JPG

Adele and I at Niagara Falls
8USA_vacation_400_sml.JPG

Waikiki from hotel balcony
8USA_vacation_524_sml.JPG

Adele and Kev with some local birds :) Once again the beaches of
Honolulu is in the background.
8USA_vacation_537_sml.JPG

Enjoy!

asy :D

geoffw said:
Americans at home are some of the friendliest and most helpful people anywere.

Not sure about the Geography level of some though.....if it's not in the good old US of A it don't exist.

When I was there I got talking to a couple who asked where I had come from.

"Australia" I said.

"Oh that's nice........did you drive?"

:D

Thanks Asy :eek:

Alan - unfortunately you are very accurate. Most people said "so your from Down under". Must have been a spin off from the tourism advertising which was done. However i have also experienced many who have had no idea of Australia and never heard of Brisbane.

They are very patriotic, their flag was everywhere. We saw lots of cars adourning it and it was hanging everywhere you went. I admire them for that and think we can learn a lot from them in that respect. Maybe their passion for their own country effects that Geography issue you mentioned.

Kev

WEll, I remember being in europe in the '80's and being asked where we were from.

When we said "Australia" the number of people who answered "OOoh, and you speak english so WELL!!"...

Um... AustrALia, not Austria... Gosh!

(Although the number who subsequently asked "where??" was scary)
asy :D

Back