Outcome of Building and Pest Report

It really is quite frustrating not being able to tell how much damage the termites have done inside the walls. The building inspector says that while he noted some localised damage and knows exactly where they came into the house, the original formwork was still in tact, 40 years after building the place! he can't advise if they have moved on elsewhere.

What concerns me the most is that the owner never did any treatment! And secondly where the inspector found the evidence was near the ensuite which had only been redone 12 months ago. He thinks that the worst case scenario is that they have been disturbed and moved elsewhere in the home. Someone could make a lot of money if they produced a tool which could demonstrate if a wall had been eaten away at after the fact.

Just to give you some visuals I have uploaded some of the running repairs that we did that shows the termite damage.

In particular note that what looks like sound wood literally falls apart and end up being a pile of matchsticks on the floor.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4194&ppuser=285

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4192&ppuser=285

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4191&ppuser=285

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4199&ppuser=285

Cheers

Just to give you some visuals I have uploaded some of the running repairs that we did that shows the termite damage.

In particular note that what looks like sound wood literally falls apart and end up being a pile of matchsticks on the floor.

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4194&ppuser=285

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4192&ppuser=285

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4191&ppuser=285

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=4199&ppuser=285

Cheers

Thanks Andy, good to see what can happen inside the walls. It is pretty scary stuff. I imagine it is possible this could be the case in a home with a positive pest inspection too right?

My pest inspector has said that 80% of the homes in the baulkham hills area which he checks have some sort of termite damage!

You are very correct. It will be a costly lesson if we don't proceed.

]

I know it is an old home, but I wasn't expecting any serious issues or a pest problem. As mentioned in my original post, it looked like it has been very well maintained and then mostly renovated. I wouldn't be thinking twice about this if it was a renovator or if the only issues were the peeling paint, settlement cracking etc.

Yep, I went through with the inspector today and it is looking like it will easily add up to 15-20k to fix the serious stuff building stuff that can be seen. The pest treatment would be on top of this.

I have organised to get several quotes done for the work as I have a 10 day cooling off period.

Do you mean, you have a 10 day period to withdraw from the contract on your conditional items, viz: building and pest?

The actual cooling off in NSW is 5 business days if I'm not mistaken. If you can negotiate a lower price with the vendor to cover some/most/all of the repair costs, well and good. If you have entered a conditional contract (and your actual colling off is now ticking away) you are using the time allocatd for your inspections, if the vendor doesn't budge and you want to walk, depending on the wording of the conditional clauses, you rescind and get a refund based on the outcomes of those reports, which you will supply to ther selling rea to pass on to the vendor.

If you rescind/terminate the contract based upon your conditonal items, your only costs is the inspections as the deposit should be refunded. And the cost of the inspections is well worth it as you are discovering.

It is probably a stretch but I thought If I obtained quotes and presented them to the owner she would understand that this will most likely occur again with the next buyer.

As mentioned above, you can try this, however having contracted the property somewhat emotionally by engaging a bidding war.......best of luck.

Sorry for the confusion my "Requires Attention" is the second priority after "Requires immediate action". The latter stuff is there to show I am willing to repair these myself later down the track. These are the types of things I would have expected in an older home.

I appreciate your comments player. Your last line interests me. Would you walk away because the next 40 year home might have less issues, or would you not buy a 40 year old home?

I would walk from this particular home. ;) I have never lived in a home younger than 40 years; some period/heritage and some renovated so part of the home somewhat newer, however I don't have a poroblem with the age of the dwelling; it's the report findings that are somewhat concerning and neglect that you are now discovering

Good luck if you elect the re-negotiation route TB......end of the day you've got nothing to lose. Keep posting the outcome as this thread will also be valuable to others going down your path, and there will be many. Thanks for your candid sharing. It can't be easy spilling these details onto a forum for others to view. You are learning and so will others.

Good Luck :)

Thanks handyandy for your comments.

It really is quite frustrating not being able to tell how much damage the termites have done inside the walls. T

Sounds like the inspector didnt use an "x-ray type" camera which many inspectors use..

I have seen how good they actually are on several properties I have purchased.

Worth considering and following up if you dead set in purchasing this place....

but heeed the advice and look elsewhere..

Hi MrsChatz,

Did your home have building defects or termite damage?

Hi Truebeast

I don;t think we had termite damage but there were heaps of building defects. The house had been extended twice, it was about 35 years old. One of the biggest issues was inadequate ventilation in the subfloor - a large concrete slab patio blocked most of the vents across the back of the house and there was really no air movement under the house, it was a bit like a cave. We had to pull out all the heating ductwork and add in several new air vents. Large sections of brickwork had to be repointed as a result of apparent rising damp.

Some of bearers (I think) were showing signs of moisture damage, and the footings under the extended garage were collapsed. Yes, we could see the cracks, but reasoned it was expected in a claybelt area. And there was a massive tree in the front yard. I could go on and on and on. It was a huge mistake and we can only blame ourselves.

I'm interested in the comments about agents needing to disclose the reasons that prior offers were withdrawn because of unsatisfactory b/p reports. We recently sold the horror house (having completed heaps of remedial work), however the first offer was withdrawn after the buyer was unhappy with their b/p report. It was a very, very thorough report, and highligted lots of small issues we hadn't really been aware of. I don;t believe our agent told the eventual buyer about the first offer and report. There are still problems with cracking, however we did not conceal anything, and the buyer did not request any reports. They went through the house at least three times and recently did a pre-settlement inspection.

MrsC

Thanks Player for your feedback.

The contract already started with a 10 day cooling off period. I think conveyancers have all agreed that with the current financial climate, not many people can get finance approval within 5 days. The contract didn't have a building inspection clause which allows me to back out without losing the 0.25%. This could have been a possibility to try to push for this being in the contract originally.

Walking away for my wife and I is still very much an option, even if we lose some money such is life. Just like your thinking however, at this point I have nothing to lose but a bit of my time in obtaining quotes to put forward to the owner. She will get the picture soon if they start coming back with multi-thousand dollar tag lines.

Sounds like the inspector didnt use an "x-ray type" camera which many inspectors use..

I have seen how good they actually are on several properties I have purchased.

Worth considering and following up if you dead set in purchasing this place....

but heeed the advice and look elsewhere..

Hi csc2,

Is this a thermal camera that detects heat which can show active termites? Or is it an actual x-ray machine which can show structural integrity?? I have tried googling but only found the thermal service being offered.

Hi Truebeast

I don;t think we had termite damage but there were heaps of building defects. The house had been extended twice, it was about 35 years old. One of the biggest issues was inadequate ventilation in the subfloor - a large concrete slab patio blocked most of the vents across the back of the house and there was really no air movement under the house, it was a bit like a cave. We had to pull out all the heating ductwork and add in several new air vents. Large sections of brickwork had to be repointed as a result of apparent rising damp.

Some of bearers (I think) were showing signs of moisture damage, and the footings under the extended garage were collapsed. Yes, we could see the cracks, but reasoned it was expected in a claybelt area. And there was a massive tree in the front yard. I could go on and on and on. It was a huge mistake and we can only blame ourselves.

I'm interested in the comments about agents needing to disclose the reasons that prior offers were withdrawn because of unsatisfactory b/p reports. We recently sold the horror house (having completed heaps of remedial work), however the first offer was withdrawn after the buyer was unhappy with their b/p report. It was a very, very thorough report, and highligted lots of small issues we hadn't really been aware of. I don;t believe our agent told the eventual buyer about the first offer and report. There are still problems with cracking, however we did not conceal anything, and the buyer did not request any reports. They went through the house at least three times and recently did a pre-settlement inspection.

MrsC

The under ventilation issue sounds similar to what is present in this house. It seems that 40 years ago they weren't thinking about this? I don't know why not, it's not like humans have had houses for thousands of years :rolleyes:

Appreciate your feedback on your "horror story".

It doesn't matter what the property is sold as, what matters is what it is. And agents are not required to be 100% truthful to the buyers either (unfortunately).

That is wrong. All agents must be completely truthful at all times and that even includes not withholding information.

That is the same for each of the states and territories in Australia.

If itis proven that an agent lies, withholds known information or misrepresents any item during a sale or lease, there is action the other party can take.

That is wrong. All agents must be completely truthful at all times and that even includes not withholding information.

That is the same for each of the states and territories in Australia.

If itis proven that an agent lies, withholds known information or misrepresents any item during a sale or lease, there is action the other party can take.

Yeah I should reword what I said as "many agents are dishonest" instead.

But what I was trying to say is that the laws in place designed to stop agents from lying etc are not strong enough to deter that type of behaviour, thus they are not forced to tell the whole truth.

Even If you do suspect they are lying or withholding the truth, good luck proving it.

Yeah I should reword what I said as "many agents are dishonest" instead.

But what I was trying to say is that the laws in place designed to stop agents from lying etc are not strong enough to deter that type of behaviour, thus they are not forced to tell the whole truth.

Even If you do suspect they are lying or withholding the truth, good luck proving it.

The laws are strong enough but no one is really bothered to do anything.

Take a look at this forum and you see hundreds of threads given over to "what my agent is not doing right" but few if any any ever stand up to the agent and/or the licensee of the business.

Section 52 of the Trade Practises Act states that the person needs only to have understood something as - no actual verification needed.

I have frequently seen complete violations of various acts and will tell the agent of their faults. OK, I wait until I have no need for them, but I still let them know.

I have gone even so far as to have one disbarred for their actions - selling a property without actually placing it on the open market to his sister in law 23% below valuers estimation.

If more people held agents accountable for their actions and moved their money away from the bad agent selling their property or managing their property, then somethings may actually change.

Whilst there are suckers out there happy to fork out their money for poor or no service, then there will always be someone to profit.

So we have had a plumber, carpenter, pest inspector and a roofing tradie all through the house over the last two days.

The list of the more important issues and associated costs can now be summarised as follows with comments inline:

$6000 - A water test revealed that the shower recess is leaking to the subfloor and adjacent walls. The extent of deterioration cannot be ascertained until repairs are undertaken.
- The shower screen is cracked. It is recommended that it be replaced for safety reasons.
- Timber members adjacent to the bathroom have significant decay and there is a high probability of further concealed decay. All decayed timber members should be removed and replaced to provide structural adequacy.

This amount is to remove all the tiles, fix the damaged timber members, put down a new membrane and retile. We would have to pay extra for the bathroom items we would want which would most likely just be the shower screen as there was already a new vanity put in by the vendor.

3520 Termite treatment: - Evidence of termite workings was sited in the cupboard. Evidence of termite workings was sited to the roof space. Evidence of termite workings was sited in the subfloor. Evidence of termite workings in side fence.
- All rubbish and formwork timbers should be removed from the subfloor area as this can attract pest infestation.

This should make sure no termites come back to the house. The Pest Inspector has not found any sign of active termites. His only theory as to why they aren't there at the moment is that a neighbour might have done a treatment which killed the nest.

2000 - One of the tile battens was seen to be broken and rectification is required to prevent leaks in this area of the roof.
- A leak was evident through the roof tiles above the front verandah at the time of the inspection. Rectification is required to prevent further deterioration in this area.
- The damaged/missing sheets and trims require repairing or replacing to provide a satisfactory finish to the eave linings.
- Several tiles are loose. If repairs are made now, rectification will be minimal and will prevent water entry to the dwelling.

This is the quick fix for the minor issues on the roof.

20000 - The conventional timber rafted roof frame is consistent with the era it was built and appears satisfactory, except for some shrinkage or settlement of the strutting members. Several struts require adjusting or replacing to remove the deflection from the roof lines.

This is the proper fix for the roof. In the words of the roofing tradie, the "roof looks like a whale's back". Apparently the roofline is severely curved and in a poor state even for a home of this age. He thinks the cause could have been a moved internal wall or termite damage to a structural piece of timber. The pest inspector didn't find this, but then again access to the roof is limited due to the insulation batts.

1680 - It is recommended that additional ventilation be provided to the subfloor to allow continual movement of air throughout the entire area. Adequate ventilation reduces the risk of moisture and termite problems within the dwelling.

This is the cost to install 12 vents around the property.

500 Replace termite damaged timbers in main bedroom cupboard.

600 Some sections of the timber fencing are termite damaged, decayed or out of alignment and require repairs/replacement to obtain a satisfactory secure finish. (Divided cost already to factor in neighbour's half)

--
The following need to be done but would be typical probably in an older home

1000 Front Gutters are chockers full of leaves and need cleaning. A proper leaf guard has been recommended.

1000 Garage window and barge has fungal decay and requires replacement.

Quite a list isn't it!!!

So even if we only put forward the main ones to the owner, this is still over 30k in repairs. :eek:

Hey Truebeast,

How'd ya go? :confused:

Did you get a discount or let it go?

Hi Player,

We pushed for a discount on Friday and the agent advised that the vendor was willing to move but only by a couple of thousand dollars. We thought before pushing on with the negotiations that we would visit the home from the outside again which we did on Saturday. After standing outside and actually seeing the wonky roof which we never noticed before signing we decided that this together with the other items made the home not right for us financially.

So I have advised the conveyancer today to terminate and tomorrow the contract will be rescinded. I have requested for the deposit back also, as we were very honest with the vendor and passed on all the information from the pest and building report plus all the quotes which we organised. Hopefully she feels like it is the right thing to do and goes against the norm. :eek:

I have requested for the deposit back also, as we were very honest with the vendor and passed on all the information from the pest and building report plus all the quotes which we organised. Hopefully she feels like it is the right thing to do and goes against the norm. :eek:
Why would she want to do that, precisely? :confused:

Hi Truebeast

Was also wondering how you dealt with this.

I was recently in the vendor's position with my horror house (posted earlier). We accepted an offer which was withdrawn after a building/pest inspection. The pest side was fine, there were building issues. We had recently replaced the stormwater drains as the first step towards dealing with cracking/subsidence in the garage. The plan was to allow the ground to dry out a bit, then proceed with a chemical resin process to restabilise the cracked wall. Parts of the driveway had also subsided, and the third phase was to repair it on an insurance claim, which had been approved. So, we weren't too concerned about the report as we knew there were issues and we were on top of it. Well, best intentions and all, the buyers didn;t even want to discuss the report. So that was that, they pulled out.

Now I am in the strange position where our actual buyers have not expressed any concern about the garage wall, they were curious about the concrete cutting that had taken place for the storm water, but that was all. The agent has told us not to proceed with any more of the work, it's not mentioned in the contract and the buyer has not raised any concerns. I feel a bit uneasy, however I cashed out the insurance claim and we have instructed our solicitor to allow that amount at settlement for driveway reapirs and then it's up to the buyer. My first reaction after the initial report was that we would have to do all the repairs to be able to sell the house, however we achieved much the same price in the end without the work.

Hopefully you'll find another good property.

Why would she want to do that, precisely? :confused:

I can think of lots of reasons, i.e. it may be against her religion to accept money for services or goods not exchanged, she may feel that we were transparent through the whole process and pulled out for legitimate reasons so feel bad about keeping it, she might be glad that we paid for a building and pest report which brought to the fore all the issues with the house and then went on to get quotes for all the issues in case she wants to fix any of them.

Hi Truebeast

Was also wondering how you dealt with this.

I was recently in the vendor's position with my horror house (posted earlier). We accepted an offer which was withdrawn after a building/pest inspection. The pest side was fine, there were building issues. We had recently replaced the stormwater drains as the first step towards dealing with cracking/subsidence in the garage. The plan was to allow the ground to dry out a bit, then proceed with a chemical resin process to restabilise the cracked wall. Parts of the driveway had also subsided, and the third phase was to repair it on an insurance claim, which had been approved. So, we weren't too concerned about the report as we knew there were issues and we were on top of it. Well, best intentions and all, the buyers didn;t even want to discuss the report. So that was that, they pulled out.

Now I am in the strange position where our actual buyers have not expressed any concern about the garage wall, they were curious about the concrete cutting that had taken place for the storm water, but that was all. The agent has told us not to proceed with any more of the work, it's not mentioned in the contract and the buyer has not raised any concerns. I feel a bit uneasy, however I cashed out the insurance claim and we have instructed our solicitor to allow that amount at settlement for driveway reapirs and then it's up to the buyer. My first reaction after the initial report was that we would have to do all the repairs to be able to sell the house, however we achieved much the same price in the end without the work.

Hopefully you'll find another good property.

I guess as the saying goes buyer beware. This is the exact position I didn't want to find myself in once settled so I went to a lot of trouble in organising tradies to check out all the major issues from the building report.

Thanks, I am sure we will find another property! :)

I can think of lots of reasons, i.e. it may be against her religion to accept money for services or goods not exchanged
Firstly I wonder what proportion of the population would hold such religious beliefs, but even if the vendor does, secondly, you got the service, which was the property being withdrawn from market in order for you to have the exclusive opportunity to purchase.
truebeast said:
she may feel that we were transparent through the whole process and pulled out for legitimate reasons so feel bad about keeping it, she might be glad that we paid for a building and pest report which brought to the fore all the issues with the house and then went on to get quotes for all the issues in case she wants to fix any of them.
Nobody who's selling a house wants to fix things. :D Bringing all these issues to the fore is not a gift to her. I'm not sure how you one could see this as anything other than a huge loss for the vendor. The 0.25% won't go close to covering how much this failed transaction really costs the vendor.

If you wanted your offer subject to building and pest inspection, then you should have included that condition in your offer. But as you know, you got a lower price, and/or got your offer accepted, by not including that condition.

Good luck if you can get your 0.25% back, but I don't see any legal or ethical basis on which you should expect it.

Back