Outer inner west of Sydney

Eg: 21 Archbald Avenue, BRIGHTON-LE-SANDS NSW 2216
Land Size: 474 sqm
To Sydney - Car 16min (no traffic) - Public 47min
To Parra - Car 40 min (no traffic), Public 1:30
To Liverpool - Car 30 min (no traffic), Public 1:46
To North Ryde - Car 30 min (no traffic), public 1:30

Generally floor area alone is about 474 sqm in Strathfield :)
Travel time to any major employment center is about 30-40 mins from Strathfield.

This is what I wrote in another post when somebody asked why pay so much for this area.

Few more +ve points.. Only few mins away from
- cycle ways - I generally cycle to Olympic park with my kids
- good Tennis courts (Cintra park, Strathfield RSL, Greenlease & Dean street)
- Flemington market
- good swimming pools (Enfield, Olympic Park & Ashfield)
- Good Library (Homebush)
- many childcare centres
- Very good primary schools - Homebush West Public, Homebush public & South Strathfield public
- Private schools : Meriden, Trinity, Santa Sabina, MLC (Burwood), St Patrick's College
- Average (may be better than avg) secondary schools - Homebush boys, Strathfield girls
- Australian Catholic University
- 20 mins train to all employments centres (Parramatta, City, Livepool or North Ryde ) - Changing jobs isn't a problem for both of us.
- 1 Buddhist temple, 1 Hindu temple and many churches
- Good food (Strathfield- Korean, Homebush - Indian, Homebush West - Chinese)
- Hospital and other medical facilities
- Retirement villages
- Golf course
- Awesome Christmas light set ups :)

-Ve point:
Away from water.

Disclaimer:
1. I live in this area

Don't forget the close proximity to DFO, Costco, Bunnings ,various other supermarkets and department stores. If you're fortunate enough to own a boat, there are various boat ramps along the Parra River to get out to the Harbour and the heads to avoid all the traffic.

It's a pretty good area :)

Investing is speculating with research and knowledge - both qualitative and quantitative.

Investing without speculation requires Grays Sports Almanac, and a Delorean with a flux capacity and Mr Fusion.

Theres a lot of extra housing going into these area's with plenty more planned (10,000's) that's what would scare me a little. Mainly apartments admittedly, so it depends what your opinion on the effect of apartments/terraces is.
May not have as much affect on house prices assuming they are of the PPOR variety, I do wonder if it won't constrain yields but.
Some of the developers are even building large 3-4 bedroom apartments to presumably attract more families.

Theres a lot of extra housing going into these area's with plenty more planned (10,000's) that's what would scare me a little. Mainly apartments admittedly, so it depends what your opinion on the effect of apartments/terraces is.
May not have as much affect on house prices assuming they are of the PPOR variety, I do wonder if it won't constrain yields but.
Some of the developers are even building large 3-4 bedroom apartments to presumably attract more families.

I dunno, but I always find houses hold value much better than apartments. I could see apartments having significant drops when interest rate rises as there are plenty of them, and a lot more to come. However houses has land and everyone prefers to move into houses than apartments, especially when they have kids and do not want excess noise from neighbours, and have backyard for the kids. So the demand is still there even when there is a downturn.

I just cannot believe the number of OTP apartments for sale, all in the high 100,000s. Surely unless they are located in special locations, they are more prone to falls when market goes south. However, with 5 years interest rate at record lows, it is hard to see this happening unless unemployment rate skyrocket. But even this, houses should hold their value in Sydney especially in inner west due to high demand.

Or a coin to flip

Cliff

I pulled this little beauty from investorpedia. BTW rent underpins the intrinsic value of property.

Definition of 'Speculative Bubble'

A spike in asset values within a particular industry, commodity, or asset class. A speculative bubble is usually caused by exaggerated expectations of future growth, price appreciation, or other events that could cause an increase in asset values. This drives trading volumes higher, and as more investors rally around the heightened expectation, buyers outnumber sellers, pushing prices beyond what an objective analysis of intrinsic value would suggest.

The bubble is not completed until prices fall back down to normalized levels; this usually involves a period of steep decline in price during which most investors panic and sell out of their investments.

That is true, for equities. Harder to put into practice for lumpy assets like property where no two properties are identical, sold in a liquid market.

I pulled this little beauty from investorpedia. BTW rent underpins the intrinsic value of property.

Definition of 'Speculative Bubble'

The bubble is not completed until prices fall back down to normalized levels; this usually involves a period of steep decline in price during which most investors panic and sell out of their investments.

This is particular true in the share market. For the property market, the price level will be held very well even during GFC. You can open the chart to compare both during year 2008.

In reality, it is a very extreme case if the interest rate goes up from 5% to 7% with one direction. Even if it does, it probably takes 3 years to get there. During this period, people can adjust their financial situations properly. By the way, about 50% of homes are fully owned and don't care of it at all. And higher interest means healthy economy.

Pure definition of speculation not investing.

Well done.

So now your tacking an extra word on .... bubble ... So shifting the goal post and then trying to use that as a basis for your argument ? .

If you want to get into a debate . Be consistent .

Again I'll repeat myself , if fact the longer you go on you just further expose your lack of knowledge , and now , the inability to construct a logical argument .

Basically you are a troll .

Cliff

Last edited:
So now your tacking an extra word on .... bubble ... So shifting the goal post and then trying to use that as a basis for your argument ? .

If you want to get into a debate . Be consistent .

Again I'll repeat myself , if fact the longer you go on you just further expose your lack of knowledge , and now , the inability to construct a logical argument .

Basically you are a troll .

Cliff

Keep eating your words my friend.

Straight from wikipedia. See underlined areas.

Speculation is the practice of engaging in risky financial transactions in an attempt to profit from short or medium term fluctuations in the market value of a tradable good such as a financial instrument, rather than attempting to profit from the underlying financial attributes embodied in the instrument such as capital gains, interest, or dividends.

Many speculators pay little attention to the fundamental value of a security and instead focus purely on price movements.

Speculation can in principle involve any tradable good or financial instrument. Speculators are particularly common in the markets for stocks, bonds, commodity futures, currencies, fine art, collectibles, real estate, and derivatives.

Keep eating your words my friend.

Straight from wikipedia. See underlined areas.

Speculation is the practice of engaging in risky financial transactions in an attempt to profit from short or medium term fluctuations in the market value of a tradable good such as a financial instrument, rather than attempting to profit from the underlying financial attributes embodied in the instrument such as capital gains, interest, or dividends.

Many speculators pay little attention to the fundamental value of a security and instead focus purely on price movements.

Speculation can in principle involve any tradable good or financial instrument. Speculators are particularly common in the markets for stocks, bonds, commodity futures, currencies, fine art, collectibles, real estate, and derivatives.

Maybe you should eat yours. Let me BOLD RED parts of your post.

I wonder how much attention to the fundamental value of a security you've paid attention to?

You've simply looked a basic stats without taking into consideration any qual research. From that you've determined that Sans Souci, Caringbah is therefore a better buy. How are you not speculating? Have you looked into the stability of the job roles of those who live in those areas and compared it to the inner west. Have you looked into rental demand, owner occupier, then applied the distance to public transport, frequency of public transport, the demographic of those living there etc?

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Nek & see_change

Your desperate attempt to justify/defend your speculative ventures is hilarious. Whats better is that its all the internet permanently for all to see.

@ Nek - I am not denying that the listed areas such as Sans Souci & Caringbah are not speculative investments I just simply showed linked to sites that were in my opinion better located. Arguably there are pro's and con's of every area but I refer you back to my original post and the pitiful yields of the the outer inner western suburbs. Look at how there is no intrinsic value attached to these properties and therefore when interest rates rise there will be issues.

@ Nek - I am not denying that the listed areas such as Sans Souci & Caringbah are not speculative investments I just simply showed linked to sites that were in my opinion better located.

What is your mind gives rise to having the better location? Neither DS or Caringbah are close to heavy rail transport, at least 6-10km further from the city/major employment zones and more reliant upon the road system.

Even Parramatta is closer to the city than Caringbah.

Doesn't the disparity between rental & returns in the inner west provide the opportunity to live in a better area than you could otherwise afford and purchase elsewhere for the rental?

Nek & see_change

Your desperate attempt to justify/defend your speculative ventures is hilarious. Whats better is that its all the internet permanently for all to see.
Have a read through see_change's post all the way back from year 2001. He has been few steps ahead of the market. Anyone would do better if they simply follow see_change.

Anything short of government bonds is speculative investment, even then you hope that the country doesn't go down the gurgler.

Even gold is specky.

Back