Outside dunnies

I've come across a property that has an outside dunny accessible just a couple of metres outside the back door. It's attached to the main residence, and should an internal door be knocked through, the entrance to the dunny would be via the kitchen. Awkward, I know.

The house is in a popular cafe strip where the rental crowd is likely to be young couples. Is this awkward dunny likely to affect my ability to rent this out or have a bearing on the rent I can achieve?

I would check with council on the legality of having a toilet open directly on to a kitchen, hopefully you have room for a small passage which may suffice.
Marg

I would check with council on the legality of having a toilet open directly on to a kitchen, hopefully you have room for a small passage which may suffice.
Marg

Good point - hadn't thought of that. The only other option would be to enclose the back patio area. More $$$

Good point - hadn't thought of that. The only other option would be to enclose the back patio area. More $$$

From what I understand, you need 2 "doors" between a loo and a kitchen - but maybe that's just commercial coz they did that on our recent office reno at work.

That's what I was alluding to, as far as I know you need an "air lock" between a loo and a kitchen, but conditions can vary from council to council.

But a loo adjacent to a kitchen is not a good look. If there are any other options by enclosing the back patio it may be worth exploring them.

My brother bought a house where the only access to the toilet was from a back verandah, but thankfully it was adjacent to the (rather large) laundry and it was a simple matter to put a door through.
Marg

It's a 100 year old house, so I think the kitchen being next to the loo/bathroom may have been like that for a long time. The bathroom, which is a separate room but next to the loo, has a door leading into the kitchen. I could remove the wall between the loo and the bathroom so that internal access is possible.

If the layout has been like that for a long time (ie: bathroom leading out to the kitchen), that makes it OK doesn't it? Not ideal, but OK?

Go through the bathroom. Or put a second dunny in the bathroom? Adding a new loo next to an existing sewer line is quite cheap.

We have a 110yo house with a (bright orange) outdoor dunny and they've managed to squeeze a new loo in the tiny bathroom. We have one of 'those' bathrooms here that really needs a big reno but is adequate. 2000's dual flush modern loo, recycled 1950s fake marble laminate topped vanity with blue and black linoleum splashback and an antique cream ceramic butler's sink, and 70s or 80s bath with blue floral tiles. Blue and white check floor and bright aqua walls and ceiling complete the look. Since it is completely functional we're just going to paint it white and retile the splashback, a complete reno can wait a few years. The new loo in there is the standout *good* feature ...

If in doubt, add a second toilet. Second toilets are a godsend sometimes. You can advertise the outdoor one as a party dunny :cool:

WE have 11 units all with the bathrooms beside the kitchen. Never had a complaint from the tenant.
In all fairness, they are all bachleor suites :)

Our bathroom is off the kitchen but you have to go through a small laundry to get to it, so it is kind of airlocked and there's two doors between food and the loo. You NEVER see this in modern houses. Our bathroom and kitchen are right at the back of the house in a more recent extension too, probably like the one in this thread.

The house we are building has the usual ensuite and master at one end, 3 bedrooms around a bath/laundry at the other end, kitchen and large living area in the middle. Pooping and eating places suitably far apart :D Houses have been like that since ... oh ... the late 70s?

I have rented houses in the past which has had the toilet out the back from the main house with no hassles in the past.

The last house had placed a lattice frame joining up to the toilet with a door accessing the back yard enabling security of someone being able to still have the sence of being enclosed while accessing the toilet at night. If the toilet was not enclosed like this my wife would not have rented the house on the grounds of safety for herself of using the toilet at night by herself.

Just some food for thought.

Cheers,

Fourex.

Interesting Thread

Thank you Garbage, have a similar situation myself.

Battler, thank you for the link to the HIA site, appreciate the subtle humour.

Interesting. I was looking at the granny flat thread and most of the plans had the bathroom/toilet off the kitchen.

YUK that makes me ill :eek: (or is it just me)?

Travelbug,

As you have said your interest is travelling, have you never eaten breakfast in a motel room?

Slim:)

Back