Oven not clean

So, tenant of two years left our property recently. It's all in reasonably good condition, except they did a pretty poor job of cleaning the oven.

The rental agent did not pick it up.

What advice would you have re bond? Should I try and request the cost of a clean from the bond? Or just live with it?

Definitely get it cleaned professionally and take out of bond.
A reasonable oven clean is around $200 - if it gets challenged at tribunal a reasonable invoice is likely to be accepted.

If the oven was spotless when they began the lease and states that on their inspection report at the time, then go ahead and claim from the bond, if not ... another learning experience :)

Definitely get it cleaned professionally and take out of bond.
A reasonable oven clean is around $200 - if it gets challenged at tribunal a reasonable invoice is likely to be accepted.

wow, $200 to clean an oven? I could buy a good secondhand one for that!

OP, I would have the PM let the tenant know it is not clean enough and give them the chance of coming back to clean it, if they cant be bothered they may allow the cleaning costs to be taken out of the bond.

This happened to me too. The PM denied she'd missed it but the new tenant insisted she hadn't used the oven at all.
Ended up the PM cleaned it. ;)

That's not such a bad idea, ask them to get out there with a can of Mr Muscle for missing it in the exit report. bet it's the last time they miss checking the oven ever again!

If the oven was spotless when they began the lease and states that on their inspection report at the time, then go ahead and claim from the bond, if not ... another learning experience :)

My view point also.
That's why it's so important for properties to be clean at the beginning of ingoing inspections

Oven

My tenants had a brand new oven on entry. On leaving they thought they could not get it clean enough, so paid a relative to do it. She gave up, so the tenant paid for professional cleaning.

Unfortunately the professionals leant on the oven door so hard, they broke it!!! This was not picked up by PM, he had no idea, I picked it up when I went in to do some maintenance.

The Bond had been repaid by then, so I had to simply pay for the repair. There are now huge notices telling tenants not to lean on oven door.

Chris

The Bond had been repaid by then, so I had to simply pay for the repair. There are now huge notices telling tenants not to lean on oven door.

Chris

Since when don't you use the oven door as a step to reach the high cupboard above the exhaust fan over the stove? I thought that was a given. :eek:

Don't ever apply to rent any of my places!!!!!

Seriously its the metal used by Westinghouse...it is so thin it can't take any knocks, not even the door being closed hard! This was not a cheap oven either, its a gas split system.

Chris

So, tenant of two years left our property recently. It's all in reasonably good condition, except they did a pretty poor job of cleaning the oven.

The rental agent did not pick it up.

What advice would you have re bond? Should I try and request the cost of a clean from the bond? Or just live with it?

I'll go against the tide here and say that when this happens to me, I just spend an hour cleaning it (sometimes more). By the time I faff about trying to get the tenant back or start an argy bargy bond discussion, I can have it clean and re-rented.

am i missing something here? shouldn't the landlord check the property first before signing the Refund bond form?

I'll go against the tide here and say that when this happens to me, I just spend an hour cleaning it (sometimes more). By the time I faff about trying to get the tenant back or start an argy bargy bond discussion, I can have it clean and re-rented.

I'm with wylie on this one, although it is harder to do that if the IP is out of state.

The bigger question is why didn't the PM pick this up on the outgoing condition report?

Cant believe the property manager missed the oven, one of the first thing I check as could be a major issue for the new tenant. If the bond has been released then the agent should pay for the cleaning. My cleaner charges $45/hr + GST max 2 hrs work.

Scott no mate, I stopped using the oven as a ladder when I reached 100kg and reached 6' 4".:D

Cant believe the property manager missed the oven, one of the first thing I check as could be a major issue for the new tenant. If the bond has been released then the agent should pay for the cleaning. My cleaner charges $45/hr + GST max 2 hrs work.

Scott no mate, I stopped using the oven as a ladder when I reached 100kg and reached 6' 4".:D

I agree the PM is responsible for the cleaning. I personally will never do it myself apart from the fact that I don't know how to I would probably also do a really bad job because I have never cleaned an oven before in my whole entire life!

I would pay somebody to do it!

wow, $200 to clean an oven? I could buy a good secondhand one for that!

OP, I would have the PM let the tenant know it is not clean enough and give them the chance of coming back to clean it, if they cant be bothered they may allow the cleaning costs to be taken out of the bond.

Either of these appear sensible solutions. By the time you stuff around including the possibility of Bond dispute you could be doing other things.

Back