Overhead transmission Wires - how far away ok

We're looking at an IP which is around 100 mts from overhead transmission wires ( big ones )

Wouldn't want anything next door , but at what stage would people get nervous about nearby transmission wires .

Any one had problematic IP's near overhead cables ?

Cliff

Are they visible from the property?
Like standing in the backyard, can you see them or are they masked by trees and such?

Just ensure they dont use some sneaky photography, can be hard to spot those power lines...

main.jpg

When its close enough that the mortgage insurers don't like at, as it knocks out a whole segment of future potential buyers.

As far as anyone knows, being close to HV transmission lines causes no health effects - negative or positive. This is a very good thing, because the exposure to extra low frequency electromagnetic fields (ELF EMF) from sitting in an average living room is almost the same as what you get from sitting 40m away from HV transmission lines out in the open or right underneath those 33kV or 11kV lines going down your street.

But they are ugly as sin and lots of people don't like being near them so they would reduce what I was prepared to pay, especially if they were visible from the property. And who knows. One day someone might actually find some evidence of harmful effects.

When its close enough that the mortgage insurers don't like at, as it knocks out a whole segment of future potential buyers.

mmm, didn't know about that . So mortgage insures won't go near power lines .
Is that something that's easy to find out ?

Cliff

Hold a light bulb in the front yard at night and see if you get any glow :D

Actually I think a fluro tube can if close enough, can't remember where I read that.

Regardless of reality, perception of danger is what deters people and has houses sitting on the market for ages. 100m is very close, I'd be thinking 300m min before you start losing stigma. Its not just the lines, but the towers which are an eyesore, and the first thing you see.

Hold a light bulb in the front yard at night and see if you get any glow :D

Actually I think a fluro tube can if close enough, can't remember where I read that.

Regardless of reality, perception of danger is what deters people and has houses sitting on the market for ages. 100m is very close, I'd be thinking 300m min before you start losing stigma. Its not just the lines, but the towers which are an eyesore, and the first thing you see.

images

As far as real estate values go, the mortgage insurer thing is new to me. Other than that it would be a pretty subjective thing - I know someone who had 132kV out on the suburban verge and it definitely took about 10-20% off the value of the property.

I recently was in the same situation with a potential ip close to hv lines. The property was priced well for the suburb but after further research the mortgage insurance issue arose and I didn't pursue. Mostly because I would be limiting my market in the future when time to sell, and the fact previous buyers had fallen through with finance. Basically hv lines are a no from majority of public and banks.

Do the numbers as you would. If it was me, I would only purchase if it was cf+, well priced, in a cg suburb and you were confident of getting decent tenants. ( everything perfect bar the lines )

mmm, didn't know about that . So mortgage insures won't go near power lines .
Is that something that's easy to find out ?

Cliff

Nope. Generally have to settle at 80% or lower when in close proximity.

Unless you can get away with using a lender that goes off contract of sale or desktop val at higher LVRs.

Cheers

Jamie

I would have thought that the negative impact of the power lines would have already been reflected in the valuation, therefore bank/insurers risk is no more than normal. And the valuation is likely to be on the lower safe side of the range.

I would have thought that the negative impact of the power lines would have already been reflected in the valuation, therefore bank/insurers risk is no more than normal. And the valuation is likely to be on the lower safe side of the range.

Yes this is a good point.

adverse / restricted securities can take a bunch longer to sell, thus increasing the LMI providers payout.............

ta
rolf

Back