Owen St reno

G'day Tizzy,

Looking good Les, love that 1970's step down to the lounge.
Hmm - that is an optical illusion, Tizzy. They are all on one level. (This is an 80's house :p ) In fact, I had thought it was early 80's - but, during the course of getting plumbing approval for the new bathroom, it seems it might be mid-80's (the original bathroom received approval in early '86). So, unless the previous owners used a "long drop toilet" for the first few years, this place is only 21 years old, not 25... :confused:

I'd also like to know how you put thumbnails into your thread. That shows special talent. I can only do links.
And I'd like to know how I put photos INTO the thread (like before). With the thumbnails, I just "followed the bouncing ball" when submitting the post. It seems things have changed (or I've forgotten HOW I did the earlier shots :eek: ) Help !!!

Regards,

And I'd like to know how I put photos INTO the thread (like before). With the thumbnails, I just "followed the bouncing ball" when submitting the post. It seems things have changed (or I've forgotten HOW I did the earlier shots :eek: ) Help !!!

Regards,
You have inserted the photos as attachments this time, rather than uploading them to the gallery. :eek:

G'day Ruby,

You have inserted the photos as attachments this time, rather than uploading them to the gallery.
I figured I was doing SOMETHING differently when I got hit with the 100Kb limit and had to muck around to get them to fit. After that, I tried to get them into the gallery - not sure if it worked (it seemed to, but I couldn't see them :eek: ) - it was getting late, so I went to bed.

Maybe I'll have another go later - but, this weekend, I'm back in Bne for more IP duties, so maybe next weekend I'll sort it all out and get them to "how I like them".

Thanks for your help, darl,

Regards,

G'day all,

Time has passed (but not enough, it seems :eek: ) so the tenants who were MEANT to move in on Friday have now put it off until next Friday. New downstairs bathroom not complete, painters haven't been back to fix their stuff-ups, etc. So we now have one more week to "put things right".

With the rain in Bne, this would not have been a good time to move in. But now (the weekend) things seem to have settled down on that front.

Anyway, with Ruby's help, I wanted to have another crack at posting photos "within the thread" (I like them that way - the thumbnails just don't seem to do justice...)

Here we go..... this is Owen St - before:-

Owen_St_before_small.jpg

And this is Owen St - after:-
Owen_St_after_small.jpg

How'd I go?

Regards,

New kitchen

For those who love kitchens, here's Owen St with its new kitchen (try to imagine the stainless steel rangehood mounted over the new stove - it really is there...)

RIMG0070.jpg

By the way, the new stove has electric oven, with gas hotplates - I'm reliably informed by Mrs. Les that "this is the way to go".

Regards,

For those who love kitchens, here's Owen St with its new kitchen (try to imagine the stainless steel rangehood mounted over the new stove - it really is there...)

RIMG0070.jpg

By the way, the new stove has electric oven, with gas hotplates - I'm reliably informed by Mrs. Les that "this is the way to go".

Regards,

NICE........

Love these Renovation threads as well; always good for ideas ;)

It all looks fabulous Les. A great job you did with the outside painting. It was looking a bit tired and unloved before.

I've never even seen a gas oven here in Perth (they do exist though), electric oven and gas hotplates are more the norm provided you have natural gas (or even bottled) in the area. Can't stand those solid electric hotplates. I've burnt so many pots on them.

I feel "wrung out" .....

G'day all,

Just yesterday, I received a report that my neighbour heard from THEIR other neighbour that termites had invaded their home. My neighbour wanted to let me know. Thanks, I think :eek: - ummm, yeah I'm really glad they did. No use having head in the sand eh? But, sheesh !!! I didn't really want to hear it !!

So, last night, I made a few extra phone calls - and today (with our friendly pest man moving us into first place) I have now heard that OUR place is clean!! :cool: But I feel wrung out anyway. A report will follow, and there are extra things that may "need to be addressed" to keep things on track with these little blighters.

Sometimes, things just seem to compound, don't they? But then, this place has returned for us many times over the last 7 years - so the odd dollar spent "hither and yon" is to be expected.

I'm now waiting for "the weekend" - when, the builder has finished, the painter has finished, and the new tenants are in, and a pest report will be sent to me (huh? who snuck THAT one in?). After almost 3 months, we'll be earning income once more. I think I need a bit of that... and less of the drama.

Since I am now back in Syd, there will be no more photos for now (sorry!) - but it has been quite an experience (our first reno in a LONG time).

Now we have one or three more that might need the same - but in their own good time .... Give me a break first though, :(

Regards,

What CG, CAR and yield have you got out of this place since buying Les? Also do you have any older sales data as well, would be guessing you got a slice of the previous owners CG after a long flat period.

You mentioned greater than 10.4% CAR = very neat whatever it is :)

** edit, interested in the present yield as well and how close it is to 5%, must have another drive around Redcliffe soon.

Les

Looks really great! And what a wonderful spot so near WP village!!

Fun and games with the white ants - we went thru the same thing not so long ago. Unfortunately those little critters have taken up permanent residence in this little neck of the woods.

Cheers
LynnH

G'day Andrew_A,

Incisive questions - I'll do the best I can:-
Andrew_A said:
What CG, CAR and yield have you got out of this place since buying Les?
You mentioned greater than 10.4% CAR = very neat whatever it is

** edit, interested in the present yield as well and how close it is to 5%, must have another drive around Redcliffe soon

CG - You can deduce the answer from the following :D

CAR - I don't know the acronym (Compound Annual Return is a guess – how'd I go?) - your post indicates this relates to "% per year" of growth. Pre reno, I'd worked out that 14% is about right (estimated value $340k after 7 years on a $137k purchase)

Yield - well, it started at around 7.5% in 2000 - but then, where do we go from there? When purchasing, it is easy to quantify "I receive $200pw on a property that cost $137k" and call that 7.5%. But what happens as the VALUE goes up? Do we then say the yield has dropped (even though the mortgage/costs haven't grown?)

For me (I'm a simple bloke) the yield should relate to "what I paid vs what it returns" - on THAT basis, it continued to yield 7.5% - but growing as rent increased.

Post reno, with current value estimated at $410 to $420k, and a rent of $350 pw, some would say the yield is 4.3%. To me, though, I tend to think :-
Rent per year divided by (cost to purchase + reno cost) = 8.8% is a more useful measure for ME. Of course, if someone else bought this property today, then 4.3% would be relevant to them.

Andrew_A said:
Also do you have any older sales data as well, would be guessing you got a slice of the previous owners CG after a long flat period.
You could say that (I nearly agreed in a kneejerk reaction to your question), but then we did pay asking price (and would've gone over $140k if pushed) – just that THEY chose to sell at that time. They would've bought their new place as a "steal" as well. So, DID I get a slice of their CG after all? Debatable – but I reckon we "bought well" – even at Market Price.

When purchasing, I used PropertyValue and AussieValuer to get an idea of the previous values over the years. Bne had been quite flat (price-wise) for around 10 years over the 90's - ticking up only slightly in those 10 years (and even going down in some years).

In hindsight, the high yields back then were TELLING us the story. And they made HOLDING really easy too. And when "Mexicans" :p realised this, it was all on !!!

Apart from the occasional lull, things haven't stopped since 2000 for Brisbane. Wellington Point had slowed over the last 2 years, but today, all of the "low priced" stuff is under contract very quickly – which means THIS place could be a half million property very soon (a year or two?). And I've seen comparable properties on the market today for $450k+ – maybe a little over-priced for now, but two months out…. Who knows?

Off-topic a bit, I am staggered at values in Logan today. I was VERY happy with the prices by mid 2006 (and had mentally decided "this is the peak for now" – WRONG !!) Our PPOR there has appreciated in value by over 20% in the last 12 months. This is after having already grown by 13% pa average from 1999 to 2007 – amazing !!

What can I say – SEQ just seems to be "on fire" today. Not complaining, mind.

Regards,

G'day all,

It's now the weekend - and, in the absence of any more phone calls, I'm quietly confident "it's all over" and we can look forward to receiving a bunch of rent once more. The tenants should now be in place and enjoying "Owen St" as their home.

Thank you all for your kind comments on this thread. It has been a pleasure for me to present it to you. And I've certainly appreciated the positive comments (and had a good laugh from some others too).

Looking back, I only wish the cleaners had been through before photos were taken - but then, that was then, and this is now. Today it will all be looking like a new pin - until the tenants' three children settle in :eek: :p

Do feel free to continue to ask Questions if/when they pop up. It's not likely there will be any more photos from now though, unless relating to specific questions (and the photos already exist).

Regards

Hi Les,

Thanks for the reno thread, the place is looking really nice and fresh. It's always good to sit back at the end of it all and imagine the new tenants in there enjoying the work you put into it and paying you lots of money too $$ :) .

Bronwyn

G'day Bronwyn,
It's always good to sit back at the end of it all and imagine the new tenants in there...
Yeah, hasn't come soon enough for me. Things stalled, then the termite issue reared its head - but I'm coming down again now (almost back to "almost normal" - my usual state :D) Now for those $$ going back in the Bank Account instead of out ....

And Andrew_A
CAR = Compound Annual Return and that's some nice CAR you have there
yeah, thanks mate. I'm a pretty happy camper today. (well, some might argue the "pretty" bit) :eek:

Regards,

Update - 9 months out

G'day all,

Things are just "ticking over" for this one now. Recently, we had this place valued to allow another Equity Loan (to pay for another reno on another property).
Les said:
And I've seen comparable properties on the market today for $450k+ Maybe a little over-priced for now, but two months out…. Who knows?
The val came in at $450k in Mar 08 - after a bit of a fight, in the end we went with it - but I can't help but think that all the "sub-prime" noise is having a marked effect on vals recently. Certainly, Banks have battened down the hatches somewhat....

According to Homepriceguide, the Median for WP is $510k - and if THIS place is lower than Median, I'll eat my hat !!! :eek: Still, it has allowed us to "move on" and the next reno is now also complete (look out for another "reno" thread soon) :D

Our new tenants are still around, and we have agreed to a 6month lease renewal at $360pw (works for me, as it helps to spread renewals throughout the year, instead of all being congregated around "Winter/early Spring").

For me, I'm still working in Syd, but there is quite a likelihood that this is to come to an end very soon (at least with the current employer) - but time will tell.....

Regards,

Good to have the update, Les.

I agree with you about the valuation - $450K for that house in that location so close to WP village is ridiculously low. I guess valuers have to be rather cautious in the current market, but ... yikes! :eek: Certainly vendors expectations are way above valuations in this neck of the woods at the moment!

Will look forward to your next "reno" thread - have fun doing it!!

Cheers
LynnH

Back