Owner builder granny flat

Hi guys,

Looking to build a granny flat at the back of my residential property. I got builder quote around 100k for a brick verneer 60sqm granny flat with standard fittings. The quote is quite reasonable, I just think that it would be cheaper if I get an owner builder licence and do the managing works myself ? How much realistically am I looking to save ?

Another question, after the construction certificate is approved by council, can I still change the builder ? There's no building contract signed yet between me and the builder.

You'll save about $20k if your managing trades. Maybe $40-50k if you are physically doing a lot of the work yourself.

This is with the assumption you can do this. Some people struggle and end up blowing the budget and or getting a builder to come in and finish the work.

Yes you can change builders as far as I'm aware. Use a private certifier and not council too.

+1 for ngh comments above....

OB will save you around $25k if you are really, really well organised and have good site access and suppliers.
If you can do some of the work then that will add $$$$ to the savings.

However, it can be very stressful and demanding with your time and keeping to schedule is important to reduce ongoing & opportunity costs.

This also assumes that you have your finances & insurances squared away.

I would not do a GF full owner build again....just get it built to lockup stage with the tiling done & gyprock finished.

You can then do the finish works to your own standard.

Good luck.

We tried to do an owner-build on a granny flat but abandoned that idea by the slab stage and got a builder in. The next time we did not even consider an owner-build, even though we were much more knowledgable by then.

If you are not sure whether to owner-build then don't do it. If you fell really sure that you have the trade contacts and the experience to do it - then you might give it a try.

It doesn't take much to blow the savings you make by doing it yourself.

The builders tend to have all the contacts to keep the job going and how to keep the certifier happy.

I'd get at least 3 builder quotes and then work on them a little bit - you should be able to get it down to a figure you are comfortable with.

Thansk for the answer guys.

If the saving is 15-20k I would prefer to go down the OB route. Tonibell, would you mind sharing your experience on what went wrong that made you gave up at such early stage ?

Interested in tonibells reasons as well.....

I found you need to know & learn about many, many things even before you start building.
Design, approval, workers comp & building insurance, council permits, site survey (licensed surveyor), storm water drainage, ground water easements, site access requirements, noise restrictions, sewerage permits, site pipe plans, electrical connections & access, OH&S, have a white card (NSW) and/or OB licence and permits from Fair Trading.....

Even before you get into the technical requirements of what building materials to use and how to store and use them properly.
After you start building there are many more.......

Always check you are getting a properly licensed and insured trade on the job.
Get the relevant compliance certificate before handing over your money....or you will have trouble with the occupation certificate and house insurance.

Remember - you have to instruct the trades - and be specific - about how you want things done, site inductions, time keeping if hourly rate, etc, etc.

Unless you are happy for them to "smash it" and do a very ordinary job.....

There is a lot involved and you do need to be organised....trying to do a regular job as well can be very stressful.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. I get a lot of Owner-Builders God blessem and that's fine but A LOT get lost along the way and end up wasting time which narely compensates for the $$ saving.

Consider that you saved $20,000.

Now Calculate:
1. Your own (and wife's, friends) work hours
2. Your loss of income - because you're not focusing on developing what you're really good at; growing your own business or career.
3. Cost to fix mistakes..and they DO happen a lot.
4. The extra time it takes to owner-build versus hiring a builder. Most people take 2x as long, so they lose 12 weeks of rental income = $5,000 lost right there.
5. Loss of wages because you're now spending every dawn and midnight hour + weekends focused on Owner-Building instead of earning $$ in your normal job.

Now calculate:
1. The stress on you and your family. First time I ever Owner-Built I yelled at almost everyone in my family. I also stressed when trades didn't show up or deliveries were dropped off in the front of my house etc.
2. The loss of job quality. e.g. You'll never plaster as well as an expert. Believe me, I've tried and as good as I got (by the end) I still sucked compared to a professional. I got stronger shoulder though :)
2. The lack of real warranty on your own work. If anything fails it's you that has to run and get it fixed, not the plumber or electrician.

In my opinion, Owner Building is only worthwhile if:
1. You really know what you're doing. You know the critical things to look for structurally.
2. You live at the site
3. You're unemployed.

This is just my experience of it because I've done it. Never again to be honest.

I've written about it here: http://www.grannyflatapprovals.com.au/owner-builder-vs-building-contract

Back