Owner Builder Question

Hi,

Can someone please clarify how often you can do a development under Owner Builder scenario in Victoria?

Someone told me last night you can only do one every 5 years but I think I just read on the builders commission website I think they stated one development as Owner Builder every 3 years.....Anyone know which is right?

I'm currently going through my first dual occupancy development in Ardeer and my plan was once it's all finished to sell the front unit, live in the back unit and then look for my next IP to hopefully then develop as well etc. However, if the above is right, that holds me back I believe, esp if its definately 5 years like I was told last night.

Anyone know for sure or if there is any way to get around this as well? :)

Can someone please clarify how often you can do a development under Owner Builder scenario in Victoria?
http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/CA25...ns_Building_Renovation/$file/ownerbuilder.pdf
Every 3 years.

Well look, it is not a scenario to be "gotten around". If you want to do this kind of thing perhaps you should consider getting your Clerk of Works and becoming a registered builder?

You need to keep in mind that you can't get an owner builder permit for properties that you want to build to sell or rent. You have to have the intention of living in them.

To get your domestic builder's license in Victoria one of the requirements is that you have 3 years recent relevant experience. Building one house/unit won't satisfy that requirement. You can work for a builder as a labourer sweeping the floors for 3 years and that will satisfy, but working as a plumber for 15 years won't.Strange but true.

Tools

....definately 5 years like I was told last night.

In NSW you can apply for Owner / Builders licence no more frequently than 5 years, as as a guess someone has the states requirements mixed up.

The only way to get around this is to hire a licenced builder.

In my mind the reason there is Owner Builder licences' available is to allow the owner of a block of land the right to build his own house - not to make money out of this.

Regards
Sheryn

Thanks everyone, appreciate your input :)

Quick question, so are you saying I cant apply for an Owner Builder license do my dual occupancy development? I'm currently decided whether to keep the existing dwelling and add a single story unit behind it or demolish the current dwelling and build 3 double story townhouses on the allotmant.....So I can't do either one via Owner Builder???

TIA

Quick question, so are you saying I cant apply for an Owner Builder license do my dual occupancy development? I'm currently decided whether to keep the existing dwelling and add a single story unit behind it or demolish the current dwelling and build 3 double story townhouses on the allotmant.....So I can't do either one via Owner Builder???

If you or anyone else that has their name on the title, has not had a certificate of consent issued for an owner builder permit in the last three years, you should be able to proceed with one building.

From an owner builder point of view, you would be better to reno the existing house and build one more. You won't get an OB permit for three houses at one time.

OK thanks Battler.

Yes title is me and my Wifes name and this is our 1st Development.

So sounds like we'd be ok to do a single Unit out the back of our current house as Owner Builder fine but if we want to demolish and go with a 3 townhouse development, we couldn't do that and we'd have to engage a builder to do that.

Correct?

Thanks Battler.

Is this a possibility. Currently our title is under my Wife and I's name. If we subdivide into 3 lots and put 1 in my name, 1 in my wifes name and the 3rd in say both our names, could I build 1 Unit as Owner Builder and my Wife build the other as Owner Builder and we get a builder to build the 3rd for us......Is that possible you reckon?

In the strict sense I would think that would be OK, but you would need to create 3 totally individual titles i.e. no common ground as in shared driveways etc. The moment you used common ground it would be considered a multi development which you can't do under an OB permit.:)

Ah ok, well that counts me out then cause I think my development would be considered a multi development.....3 townhouses but using the same driveway as it's not on a corner.

Thanks mate, you're a gun :)

Thanks Battler.

Is this a possibility. Currently our title is under my Wife and I's name. If we subdivide into 3 lots and put 1 in my name, 1 in my wifes name and the 3rd in say both our names, could I build 1 Unit as Owner Builder and my Wife build the other as Owner Builder and we get a builder to build the 3rd for us......Is that possible you reckon?

Littletee
I think you could build one duplex as Owner Builder in your name, move into one side, then after a period of time, your wife applies for Owner Builder permit and builds a duplex and you then move into one side.

This may not work with your current block but is a way of getting 4 units.

Personally probably easier to engage builder if doing 3 unless you have heaps of time.

Sheryn

Back