Owners Corp-listen to friends or Solicitor?

I recently purchased a flat (3 story building) in Melbourne with a owners corporation in place.

I am due to settle in 4 weeks. Before I move in, i intend to get content insurance and not house insurance (as advice by my solicitor). Solicitor said damages will be covered by owners corp.

BUT my friends have told me if a fire has broken out from my kitchen and damage the walls inside my flat, I would not be covered by owners corporation (as the walls are inside my flat).

Are my friends right or the solicitor is right?
What should I do?

Thankyou

You should be able to call the owners corp and get a copy of the insurance policy and see for yourself exactly what it covers.

If you have any doubts, you can call the insurer directly, or take the document back to your solicitor and have them point out to you exactly where in the policy it states that interior kitchen walls for example would be covered for fire damage.

I recently purchased a flat (3 story building) in Melbourne with a owners corporation in place.

I am due to settle in 4 weeks. Before I move in, i intend to get content insurance and not house insurance (as advice by my solicitor). Solicitor said damages will be covered by owners corp.

BUT my friends have told me if a fire has broken out from my kitchen and damage the walls inside my flat, I would not be covered by owners corporation (as the walls are inside my flat).

Are my friends right or the solicitor is right?
What should I do?

Thankyou

As per ianvestor - the OC will have a copy of the insurance.

We've had tenants do the big fire in the kitchen thing before - I think it was the LL insurance that got us the new stove (nice SSteel one too! Much nicer than the old stove that got burnt). Can't rememebr which insurance paid for the fire brigade call out.

The Y-man

Your friends are right. Anything inside the walls is your responsibility.

You'll want to get contents insurance anyway. Ring around and get a policy that covers the kitchen etc.

IF the lot boundaries are the same as they are in qld then your lot goes to the centre of the wall. If the wall is outside then the OC (or BC in QLD) owns the other half or if a party wall the other lot owner owns the other half. careful check of the insurance policy will be in order.

Back