Owners Corporation maintaining private property

Hi All,

I have an IP unit in Melbourne, and the owner's coporation is putting up a resolution for vote at the AGM as follows:
"The Owner's Corporation provides to members the service of maintaining those parts of the external windows and doors owned privately, not including internal painting, which is to be paid for by the Owner's Corporation on a lot-liability basis; and raises levies as required to fund this work."

An advantage I see to this is that having the exterior of the complex maintained consistently (e.g., the windows/doors on all units will be painted at the same time) will hopefully add to the general appeal of the complex and the value of my unit. Another advantage is that it is one less maintenance task that I need to worry about organising myself.

I guess a disadvantge is that some of the owners could get overzealous and demand maintenance when it is not really necessary, which I will have to pay for.

What do others think of this proposal? Are there any other advantages or disadvantages I haven't thought of?

John.

Sounds pretty normal - you do NOT want each owner organising the externals individually - or you'll get a big mess of different colours, finish, age etc etc.....

As for overzealous owners - yes, some will try it - and *may* succeed if they have enough influence on the committee. That is why it is important for you to attent AGM's and influence others where possible to your views.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Thanks The Y-man. Due to family commitments I can't attend this AGM, so I guess I just need to keep an eye on things and if the local owners try anything on I'll just have to wear it for now and try to have some input in the future.

John.

Thanks The Y-man. Due to family commitments I can't attend this AGM, so I guess I just need to keep an eye on things and if the local owners try anything on I'll just have to wear it for now and try to have some input in the future.

John.

Read the minutes closely - there is a time frame (28 days?) after the AGM where you can lodge an objection to any proposal.

Cheers,

The Y-man

When you received the notice of the AGM you should have received voting papers for all the items put to the meeting. Even if you can't attend you can vote via the papers and send them to the person nominated. That way you can have your vote recorded.
Marg

I'd be more worried about whether they choose ugly colours - do you get a say in the colours?

That should be an item discussed by the committee, but as it doesn't require money, it will probably not be put to vote. If an owner wants a say in these decisions, they should volunteer themselves onto the committee.

Unfortunately in most OC's:

1. no one "has the time" to be involved in the committee (so it falls on the OC manager to make the decision - who gets blasted whatever decision they make)

2. many have "no time" to make it to the AGM. Many an OC manager has sat by themselves in the meeting room....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Back