Paid magazines?

Hi All,
Being a newbie property investor, I've been reading posts on this forum and have subscribed to free regular emails from PropertyObserver, SQM Research, HerronToddWhite, YourInvestmentPropertyMag and realestate.com.au. I read them all as they trickle in.

My question is am I missing out any other good regular publications free or paid? This morning I saw one guy on the train reading "Your Investment Property Magazine" the paper copy. Are any of the magazine subscription good in terms of value or bang for the buck? What subscriptions would the experienced members recommend?

Doing a google shopping search for "property investment magazine" gives me these results: https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sou...UTF-8#q=property+investment+magazine&tbm=shop

Thanking you in advance.

See this thread

Property Magazine Subscriptions

Originally Posted by Dandin
I have suscribed to API for a number of years now, but lately, it takes me just under an hour to scoure from first to last page - albeit skipping 50% of the content and ads on the way.

On the Negative

Had a look at the latest API and there were 9 pages of advertising ranging from full to part pages within the first 14 pages, I think nearly 1/3 of the magazine contained ad's

On the Positive

Apparently there's a lot of people willing to help make me rich through property and are keen to point me in the right direction- bless them

I'm sure if you did a test from the balcony of a two story unit, those magazines with the most ads would travel further when thrown, due to the weight and paper quality of the ads within ;)

There is better content here than you will find in a magazine - except perhaps in the Coffee Lounge. And you can ask questions here. Can't do that with a magazine.
Scott

Hi Scott,

More in terms of graphs, hotspots, trends, etc. I haven't quite looked within the magazines in detail yet but I saw one of the magazines had "CF positive hotspots" in large fonts on the cover.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It is either already hot or the magazine creates a Self Fulfilling Prophecy.
ie people read it and run there. ;)

Thanks travelbug. Another newbie question, if the hotspots in these magazines are already blown or not real hotspots then how do knowledgeable investors find them? For example if I'm looking for buying an IP which will have good capital growth then where do I start looking? Reading on the forum, signs point to QLD but that's a big place!

Thanks

Thanks travelbug. Another newbie question, if the hotspots in these magazines are already blown or not real hotspots then how do knowledgeable investors find them? For example if I'm looking for buying an IP which will have good capital growth then where do I start looking? Reading on the forum, signs point to QLD but that's a big place!

Thanks

Research and reading and taking notice.

It's not a coincidence that there are people on here posting about buying in a certain area. Then you read where others say they are crazy "why are you buying there, it never goes up etc etc".

THEN a year later it's in magazines as the next hotspot.:D:D

Then people buy there. They may not have missed the boat but they are not going to do as well as the people that got in before it was touted as a hotspot.

Some of the hotspots in the magazines have some big red flags.

For example some major flood risk suburbs where waters were up to the roof.. Short memories..

I got the magazines for free pricefinder subscription, and the monthly data columns.

The articles are ok for a quick read while relaxing on the couch but not too much serious content. Sometimes I get some ideas occasionally.

Out of YIP and API I find API to be the better one. YIP seems like a long series of promotion of buyers agents for example. Maybe I'm biased as API has been around longer for me.

Hi All,
Being a newbie property investor, I've been reading posts on this forum and have subscribed to free regular emails from PropertyObserver, SQM Research, HerronToddWhite, YourInvestmentPropertyMag and realestate.com.au. I read them all as they trickle in.

My question is am I missing out any other good regular publications free or paid? This morning I saw one guy on the train reading "Your Investment Property Magazine" the paper copy. Are any of the magazine subscription good in terms of value or bang for the buck? What subscriptions would the experienced members recommend?

Doing a google shopping search for "property investment magazine" gives me these results: https://www.google.com.au/webhp?sou...UTF-8#q=property+investment+magazine&tbm=shop

Thanking you in advance.

Your Investment Property Magazine is a wonderful magazine, especially for when you are starting out. They have some great goal setting and case studies and Nila Sweeney is a lovely person and editor.:)

Aside from the written publications, I find that the Real Estate Talk, Your Money Your Call, and Your Property Empire (the latter two on Sky Business) podcasts can contain useful information at times.

Take 5 years of buying API at full price $10.

After 5 years you have paid $600 (and that's at full price not discounted).

If in those 5 years, just one thing you learned, just 1 tip, just 1 anything that saved you $600 or more or earned you $600 or more.. maybe few thousand. Is it worth it?

;)

True story: I was asked to give a talk at a property convention last year. Anyway so I did my talk rahdi rah rah...after that I was walking past the API stand, and they were selling their magazines at I think it was half price $5... one guy who I noticed at the front row of the audience 20 mins earlier..picked up the magazine.. and when told its only half price.. he was hesitant to buy it. In the end he looked through it and decided not to buy it.

Unbelievable I thought.

Leo

More in terms of graphs, hotspots, trends, etc. I haven't quite looked within the magazines in detail yet but I saw one of the magazines had "CF positive hotspots" in large fonts on the cover.

And when you look at the actual locations, you'll find that most 'hotspots' are either:

* Otherwise good suburbs whose average yield is inflated by tiny units/serviced apartments/student accommodation that may be poor investments

* Declining country towns without local services eg property managers, tradespeople etc. These are often sold as 'within 30 min drive to the city', when the city in this case is a somewhat larger centre.

* Places that don't fall into either of the above but which offer around 5% yield (normally cheaper outer suburbs) which will NOT be positive cashflow.

There's some huge errors in some of their 'analysis' especially when it comes to the services available at some rural hamlets. Eg it's not unusual to say that a place is on a rail line - the only problem is that trains stopped running 30 years ago!

My opinion is that magazines should only be used as a very preliminary tool for general research. Any predicted hot spots etc should be taken with a pinch of salt, unless you gather other info/data in many other sources that suggest similar AND your research shows that you haven't missed the boat yet.

Leo

Your best magazine is this forum and it's free.

Hi Simtr,

Just my opinion, I think people who want to be successful at investing need to eliminate this idea of 'free advice, free seminars free whatever'. IMHO when all is said and done, its very counterproductive to achieving great success. The info that's going to make people the most money, save them the most time, give them the best advice/service - all costs money. And generally a lot of it. that's been my experience. Only my opinion.

Please don't take it the wrong way, my comment is really a general one its not aimed at you mate.

Cheers

Leo

p.s I do think this is an amazing forum!

I have to agree with simtr, about this forum. Not because it's free, but because it IS so full of real information.

Sure some things are worth paying for, and I love my RP Data, and other paid research resources. But some things are just free and amazing at the same time.

I won't pay money for "guru" seminars, but magazines, books, real experts (solicitors, building inspectors, PMs etc) are worth every cent.

Then I still come back to this forum after the above experts and double check the experiences of members in each case.

Back