Pain in the proverbial neighbour

Dazz would be horrified at my front yard. Well, not so much front yard as the 20m or so on the side of my yard.

It currently consists of a large pile of rubbish (concrete, masonite, bits of godawful metal and timber), a half-demolished galvanised iron fence, some trees that are half cut down and have been poisoned before getting a stump grinder in so are a serious just-starting-to-die eyesore, and of course large piles of cut-down branches from said trees. And a fresh trench from the water meter install. We also have a bright yellow scaffold on the verandah just to clash with the green house trim.

Funny, no complaints, but people do swipe things off the rubbish pile ...

Funny, no complaints, but people do swipe things off the rubbish pile ...

Hubby has been on leave for nearly a year, and has collected so much from local skips that it is hard to find a place to put things. Plenty of things he has given away, or used in landscaping other people's places, and other stuff is squirrelled away. Every now and then I give him a gentle reminder that we are not running a demo yard :).

It truly is frightening what people throw away. Just this last week, we tried as hard as we could to get the decking timber from a house demolished nearby. Without a "blue card" there was no way he was allowed on the fenced off site. He says he should just have snuck in, but that is risky, especially having gone through the channels to get it legally. Instead, some weatherboards were salvaged, and the roof tiles, and the rest was bulldozed. Very wasteful.

Our rubbish pile really *is* junk (mostly renovation debris from incredibly shonky add-ons) and we're in a town with a crime rate of like zero so they ask nicely before taking. They're invariably after firewood and scrap metal for recycling. Its pretty obvious we're renovating/demolishing and clearing the yard to build a new house so we're being let off easy. Something to do with constant visits from surveyors and SA water closing the road for half a day gives it away. We still have an industrial sized chicken run to demolish and haul out the front before we order a skip. One of the neighbours has put a photo of our house on the internet as 'the town's next development site' :rolleyes:

People with really bad yards - car bodies etc - tend to get council notice to put up a nice high fence to hide the eyesore, or a fire officer notice to mow or else. I don't think 4 weeks worth of unmowed lawn comes even remotely close to that kind of stuff. What next, complaints your daffodils aren't in perfect parallel lines, all the same height?

i've said it before, i'll say it again...

180px-Semtex.jpg

Every now and then I give him a gentle reminder that we are not running a demo yard :).

LOL! Mine looks like a demo site ATM too. Luckily most of it is behind the fence, so the neighbours can't see it. It is mostly under our entertaining area.

Hubby demolished his shed and ordered a new larger one. It is now currently half constructed. To get to the back yard you have to dodge all his "stuff" from the old shed, some building materials, BBQ, outdoor lounge set, bikes, a couple of stoves, pavers, and daughter No1's junk that she has stored in boxes to "garage sale" someday. I wish she'd get on with it.:eek:

Back