Paint

Whites for my passageway

Probably cant tell in this picture but the skirting and doors are a yellowish/cream colour.
Would it be too much to have high gloss white skirting and doors and also another white on walls?? I have pictures on walls which will help break it or should I go totally different colour on walls???

What about a high gloss black front door?? too much with whites??

Attachments

• passageway1.jpg
    passageway1.jpg
    389.3 KB · Views: 148
  • passage2.jpg
    passage2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 130
Probably cant tell in this picture but the skirting and doors are a yellowish/cream colour.
Would it be too much to have high gloss white skirting and doors and also another white on walls?? I have pictures on walls which will help break it or should I go totally different colour on walls???

I can see the cute dogs in the pic :)

Why high gloss and not semi gloss?

I can see the cute dogs in the pic :)

Why high gloss and not semi gloss?

They are house dogs, follow me everywhere:)

I think because I have lots of wood in my home I think the high gloss gives it a real wow factor, that I don't think semi gloss would achieve?? not sure

Cream or stone looks good with the timber floors because they're warmer and the timber is warm.
With those beautiful stained glass doors, I think white would look great. Or a stone / alabaster colour on the lower walls. A colour could work. Basically, in a hallway like that you could almost do anything.
But if you're going to do white, stay with the same colour and use the different types ie egg shell and semi-gloss or full gloss if you want. Then use 1/2 strengths or full strengths of the tint in the different places.
How 'bout sunshine yellow or burgundy? Love it.

Tee hee
50 shades of white!
I used Antique White USA myself. It is a bit yellow and red, so looks warm but some argue it's getting dated. It is still the colour of choice for most sheeple though.
Whisper White is just Antique white in a lighter tint, so if you don't like the yellow/red tinge, you may not like WW either.
Next time I might go for Natural White.
Lexicon/half/quarter is a cool, quite stark white. I thought I'd like it until I saw a property painted in it (interior). A bit cheap-looking.
I'd advise sample pots. I didn't use them and just worked off the cardboard 'playing cards' at bunnings. It just doesn't look the same on the wall.
I'm not fussed. Given my current tenant's state of untidiness, I think I'm going to have to paint my IP again in the next 5 years.

Are you painting a PPOR or IP?
If it's a PPOR, you need to nail your white because you have to live with it.
For an IP, I'd recommend getting a colour you can easily buy off the shelf time and again from bunnings for the inevitable touchups and re-paintings. eg tenant moves out. need to retouch living room and re-paint kitchen entirely.

Not unless you want to be replacing your front door frequently.

Corinthian and Humes don't actually guarantee their doors if painted in "dark" colours due to heat/warping etc.

I recommend at a minimum Solver/Wattyl paint, or Dulux if you want to go all out.

The rest is utter crap.

Corinthian and Humes don't actually guarantee their doors if painted in "dark" colours due to heat/warping etc.

I recommend at a minimum Solver/Wattyl paint, or Dulux if you want to go all out.

The rest is utter crap.

That's interesting, I'm thinking about a high gloss dark blue for my front door, didn't consider warping! Didn't even cross my mind.

Combined with the sea salt I might have to stick with boring old white. Or sunshine yellow ;)

The rest is utter crap.

very interesting, not sure whether I would have this issue as have large veranda, helps protect from weather.

In your opinion which is the best paint in terms of quality?

I now use this Solver Paint in my IPs as it is quality but much cheaper than the Bunning's version.

Yep, I do the same. Solver Paint with all our props.

Doors & Door Frames (Gloss) - SNOW WHITE 3761 - 25% Strength
Walls - SNOW WHITE 3761
Ceilings & Cornices - standard Ceiling White

Ive always liked taubmans but with the current ppor renos I have been very disappointed with how patchy and spattery their paint is these days. Used to be far better.

very interesting, not sure whether I would have this issue as have large veranda, helps protect from weather.

In your opinion which is the best paint in terms of quality?

Dulux, however...

Wattyl/Solver are absolutely fine. You pay a lot more for Dulux, and it is excellent, but the quality difference isn't as large as the price suggests.

Big antique white fan here.

Yes it may be a bit too classic and thus look dated, but I think it's great for period homes which is what I have. Painted new and ex-PPOR in this colour.

Back