Painters & Decorators

Here are some old photos. Things have improved a little since these were taken - but not a lot. Basically, the garden is fairly under control atm.

Am getting the exterior painted, including the gutterings and downpipes.
Have a new black fence/gate up in the driveway plus the front gate is black and the roof is black.
Am thinking of doing the gutterings in charcoal e.g. Leadman UD or Western Myall UD (Dulux colour).
And the rest in either White Duck (light putty colour) or Natural White or Lime White or Vast Escape (gorgeous greeny sandy tan).

Any thoughts?

Also, as you can see, the side of the house faces the road. It looks kind of weird, I think. There seems to be something missing around the roof area. What is it? What's missing and what can I do to improve the look?

All feedback welcome - even if you just like to read. Come on, tell me.

Attachments

• side facing the road.jpg
    side facing the road.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 97
  • gutterings vs bricks.jpg
    gutterings vs bricks.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 101
  • front steps.jpg
    front steps.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 97
Is photo 3 for front of the house (but not facing the road?). I'm guessing photo 1 shows the side of the house and if you walk down the driveway and turn left you face the front shown in photo 3?

When you say you are painting the whole house, do you mean painting the bricks? I think the house looks pretty good and with just the trims painted, would look nice and fresh.

I wouldn't paint the bricks (but I'm thinking you are not doing that anyway, and I've read the post wrongly).

Hi Wylie,
You've read the post correctly in that photo 1 faces the road and when you walk down you'll see photo 3 to the left. If you keep walking, you'll see photo 2 to the left.
Thanks - will take as many positive comments as I can re:this house - not painting the bricks.
So then, putty white or light modern tan? Or limewhite or ...?
Charcoal ....?

For trims, I think something like a Putty White (guessing it is a pale putty colour) sounds good. The dark green makes it look very 80s to me and I think a lighter colour would lift it nicely.

My thoughts are clean up all the garden and trim bushes, check for roots near foundations or brickwork and remove that tree/shrub completely, with a tenant in there it is hard to go back and fix later. The garden needs a lot of hacking to be tenant ready IMO.

Paint the eaves any lighter colour to match the windows and consider painting the timber railing the same colour as the eaves. I would pick something that goes with red / brown bricks, maybe a coffee, beige or cream but in reality don't sweat it, any light colour will look better than dark green. You can buy a bigger can and your left over paint can be saved to do any patch up work over the years.

I think the fact that there are no eaves at the front could be why it looks funny to you.

Back