painting and restoring old furniture

Gday all

I know there a number of handy people online. Any one with experience or good info in regards to sprucing up old furniture?

I picked up an old wardrobe, 1930s era and going to sand back and paint. It's notvaluable or an antique so was thinking of painting white. But the guys I got it off said it was a common wardrobe found in pub accommodation back in th e day. It's white now but they said originally would have been oiled or stained so now I'm not sure which way to go. Thinking that maybe a modern look with some colour even. Basically open to ideas at this point.

Any info or suggestions appreciated!

Attachments

• 20150418_144835.jpg
    20150418_144835.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 116
I used to have a similar unpainted one that was slightly nicer. I went to put it on ebay one day and found someone nearby was selling a similar one. I contacted the seller and it turned out we had both purchased them from the same second hand shop and she bought only one of the two. I think I ended up selling it for around $150. Paid about $80 for it half price from a second hand shop closing down.

It's nice.
The current trend is to sand it back (well, using different grades) and leave it bare with maybe some oil or carnuba or bees wax. I know you guys prefer the look of the real timber.
If you want the beachy look, you can leave some white paint and put on a couple of coats of milk paint. It's the waxing that will bring it up.
Or choose a nice modern colour. Despite what true painters say, you can't beat an oil paint when it comes to looks and durability. Semi-gloss. Lots of great colours.
On the other hand, the acrylics are extremely good these days. I'd go for a happy pale blue 'breath of fresh air' or new butter or the latest colour 'Guildford green' from Benjamin Moore which is a beautiful light silvery green.
http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/for-architects-and-designers/benjamin-moore-color-trends-2015

What do you want to use it for afterwards?

I have a similar one restored to wood and mine had some decorative wood inlay on the doors once the paint came off. But I think mine is a bit more Edwardian than yours which is pre Art Deco.

Ideas:
- take the door and front panels off and put in shelves and turn it into a nice bookcase
- get some fancy cornice moulding from Bunnings etc and build a nicer crown on it. Paint the whole thing matte black with some stencilling or wall paper on the door insets.

3b88e0c994f9f8730bacec40aa0b5cc4.jpg

Word of warning - the sides and door insets were often just ply veneer and not very thick so be careful. There is not a lot of quality wood in those models

Wow thanks for the responses, wasn't expecting all those so quick! Now its made it more confusing! so many good ideas

OK...
Depreciator. I wish I had one already stripped back! We got this for $50 so I'll wear the sanding work as seems like its a reasonable price

INVESTOR. so we could make some money from this by the sounds?? We got it as a small project to do. We were in Sydney and my wife always used to see online and at markets people buying the 90s pine furniture and giving it a white wash and selling it for ridiculous prices! so we thought bugger that we'll give it a go one day!

WattleIdo. Yes i prefer the oil based paints to! they feel so much more durable and user friendly for cleaning and a protective barrier! I do like the guildford green, maybe a touch bolder. We were thinking white as we do like the antique white gloss but now maybe go all out for something bold!

Westminster. I like the crown! Ill have a look next week at mitre 10 when i get the sander and paper. i'll look for something I can put over the top and keep the original top pieces in tack.
Might go for some modern type stencilling although i have no idea what that would look like! ill get googleing.
And i nearly fell through it earlier! there is very little thickness to it, hopefully i wont sand through it!
I think I'll keep the mirror for practicality. We plan to use it for now so I'll look at changing the inside slightly. At the moment there is a clothes rack on the right with a small shelf at the top. The rest is pretty much open with a couple of hooks. I might try and put a few shelves on the left inside and keep the hanger. I dont really want to destroy it, Id like to keep it original or so it can be easily returned to original in the future

Colour ideas attached from wattles link

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 68
Have a look at this websitehttp://www.anniesloan.com/acatalog/copy_of_How_to_use_the_paint.html we used it on an old chest of draws and it came up amazing (we have no connections to this brand either)

There are some super cool stencils you can buy or make your own.

63af4db7c7fa8f9f48f2a4b64c628253.jpg

580e5b4b2dff8f91f0756c4a067e4fcf.jpg

Check and see if modern coat hangers fit in it. Some of them aren't deep enough for adult coat hangers but it might be suitable for kids coat hangers. Then maybe put an extra rail half way down and have to sets of hanging for kids clothes.

I dont really want to destroy it, Id like to keep it original or so it can be easily returned to original in the future

I wouldn't worry about that. They sell for $50-100 in original condition. In Sydney, people often put them out on the street to be taken away.

I've got something similar that I'm putting out the front of my place tomorrow if it's not raining.

What do you want to use it for afterwards?

I have a similar one restored to wood and mine had some decorative wood inlay on the doors once the paint came off. But I think mine is a bit more Edwardian than yours which is pre Art Deco.

Ideas:
- take the door and front panels off and put in shelves and turn it into a nice bookcase
- get some fancy cornice moulding from Bunnings etc and build a nicer crown on it. Paint the whole thing matte black with some stencilling or wall paper on the door insets.

3b88e0c994f9f8730bacec40aa0b5cc4.jpg

I love this look, but we are into the french provincial "thing" sort of right now...

Westminister is this yours? Or have you posted this photo from somewhere?

Had a quick Ebay.
I'm thinking Chevron stencil in side panels, keep the mirror in the middle and colour.... Maybe the green or lighter blue circled.
Crown might depend what available. Maybe even just a splayed skirt for a crown to square it off

Had a quick Ebay.
I'm thinking Chevron stencil in side panels, keep the mirror in the middle and colour.... Maybe the green or lighter blue circled.
Crown might depend what available. Maybe even just a splayed skirt for a crown to square it off

I'd love to see some aqua - I love chevron stripes.

Here is some inspiration

10f9df56e003b6a4319813d79d298fad.jpg

that looks nice!! also getting a bit technical with the colours and stain. This could turn into quite the project instead of just all white!

I just got onto pintrest, now i see what the fuss is about!! Spent a bit of time on there. and i also got onto etsy, found a stencil supplier that has way to many to choose from!! now I know how the loses hours on those sites! and buying stuff!
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/CreativeStencils?page=15

Attachments

• il_570xN.510528424_f7v9.jpg
    il_570xN.510528424_f7v9.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 39
  • il_570xN.510521316_5fv1.jpg
    il_570xN.510521316_5fv1.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 41
  • il_170x135.510562117_7mn3.jpg
    il_170x135.510562117_7mn3.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 45
  • il_570xN.658214285_nnir.jpg
    il_570xN.658214285_nnir.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 52
Use a good coat of caustic or paint stripper to remove the paint, then apply shellac (not varnish or polyurethane).

Remove the useless hanging setup (usually hooks on the back wall & circular hanger in the middle) install a hanging rail (chrome curtain rod).

Scott, would paint stripper be better than sanding? ? Is it best to get it right back rather than sanding?
its going to be painted now, all white with infill stencils or wallpaper

Anyone familiar with digital pdf prints?? To fill the sides i need a sheet 1m tall but the digital ones are 12x12 inch. Can it be manipulated or a printing place take care if that easily? Also how would i sick it on...

I have found found some nice vinyl wall paper suppliers that come in easier to work with sizes. Not sure which way to go.

Its got a new purpose now, because of the hanging space we'll use it for our 6 month old. on the right use existing hanger then on the left I'll put in a few extra shelves

Attachments

• 20150427_084806.jpg
    20150427_084806.jpg
    527.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 20150427_084847.jpg
    20150427_084847.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 56
l got just an old dresser from the opp shop that l thought had some potential.
l modernized it with that rows of black chunky bolt heads look up and down the draws . Sanded it back to and tried to get it to that beautiful light creamy wood stain you often see in UK houses , doors, furniture, woody bits.
Left the bone handles on , not sure about them.

But l'm really impressed , looks great , be good for another 50yrs now.

Nice one random! Got a photo?

My work load may have just doubled! We're renting an old place and just opened the back shed to find another one! I met the owner the other week and likely he won't want it or even knew it's there

Attachments

• 20150515_134111.jpg
    20150515_134111.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 20150515_134136.jpg
    20150515_134136.jpg
    611.4 KB · Views: 46
Back