Painting costs?

Can anyone give me any idea of how much I should budget for it to cost to completely re-paint a 2 bed apartment (80sqm approx)? Either by myself or to get someone in to do it? Probably needs 2 coats because it is kind of pink/purple throughout! :eek:

Any recommendations of painters in Brisbane area?

Can anyone give me any idea of how much I should budget for it to cost to completely re-paint a 2 bed apartment (80sqm approx)? Either by myself or to get someone in to do it? Probably needs 2 coats because it is kind of pink/purple throughout! :eek:

Any recommendations of painters in Brisbane area?

Prob cost you 600 to do yourself

Wouldn't pay more than 2k for a trade

Assuming walls in decent comdition

I got mine done for 15$ Psm.

pipsal,checkout service central,put a job up and a ballpark your willing to pay.

Also check the painters feedback.

Let me know if you want the number if my painter. What suburb is the job and how urgent? (He has just jumped from one job for us to another and will be busy for us for about three weeks.)

Let me know if you want the number if my painter. What suburb is the job and how urgent? (He has just jumped from one job for us to another and will be busy for us for about three weeks.)

Thanks Wylie, that would be great if you could PM me. Not urgent as I am still negotiating an offer and trying to gather a better idea of the costs I had guesstimated for things I'd like to do to the place before I go with my final offer now.

In the process right now of getting a 1B (62sqm) apt in the inner SW done myself. 2 coats, all walls and ceilings, some reasonably minor surface repair (damaged plasterwork), also do inside cupboards and sand and repaint doors and frames

2 Quotes, one from someone who is very good and has great reputation, another from one that has done some slipshod work on occasion in the past, but is cheap and fast.

First quote came in at $2750 inc. GST, the other came in at $2178 inc. GST. After that, PM went back to first vendor and they matched the first quote because "things are slow" and they is sick of drive-bys from the other guy.

One other thought: If you are doing a complete repaint and it is an older apt, you might like to get a sparky in to pop off all the switch and GPO covers and see if any need replacing/fixing. If you do this now, you won't have any ugly patches or paint repairs which you well might if you found out you needed to replace switches/points *after* the paint job is done.

As part of the process I am also replacing all light fittings with E27 sockets and getting rid of all the old flouros. Also importing E27 LED globes to populate all the sockets. No more sparky trips to fix light fittings that proved too complicated for tenants to change the tube/starter or replace blown ballast.

Last edited:
Thanks Wylie, that would be great if you could PM me. Not urgent as I am still negotiating an offer and trying to gather a better idea of the costs I had guesstimated for things I'd like to do to the place before I go with my final offer now.

Wylie would you mind PMing me your painters details too? Just got quoted $5500 to paint a 3 bed house which seems expensive.

Have sent you both PM with painter's number.

How long do you think it would take for a tradie to do?

I would have thought $2k was pretty cheap to paint an entire apartment - but I am conditioned to Canberra trade prices :(

Cheers

Jamie

3 days if minimal prep work (cracking)

Depends on the apt though - for example with new apartments all the corners are square set (no cornice) and they paint it all in one colour with a spray gun

That would only take a day and a half (after allowing two costs on skirts and door frames

But your better off asking 'the painter'

Sydney prices circa 90sqm apartment $2200
Ok job
2 days
A friend who is a painter said not to spray walls because if you ever touch up with a brush you will be able to see it a mile away
He only spray paints ceilings which have ornate carvings

re: the paint
tradies I have spoken to recommend dulux or taubmans.
Wattyl is supposed to be good enough.
I have always used dulux for interiors (admittedly, I merely instructed the painters to do so. I will never know if they substituted for a cheapie brand). Have never done an exterior but may investigate 'taubman's endure' at the time.

Last edited:
If walls are purple then it's not a maybe with the 2 coats, it's a definite. Also if you decide to do it yourself just do not buy cheap! We are pairing our mums house and tried to save money by getting cheap paint. She had some purple walls and it took 3 coats! Very painful exercise.

Sometimes if you get a quality undercoat you only need 1-2 coats of the paint. This isn't true of yellow, apparently it leaches and changes a colour the most (though happy to hear from people who do it for a living)

A good primer sealer undercoat 4 in 1 are good water based hides and blocks stains zinser is the brand to get you can even paint it on tiles and paint over them with a top coat sticks to anythingcan buy at bunnings and can be tinted so only need one top coat.

Back