Painting - Did I pay too much?

Yey its Friday!

Had the house painting completed today by a reputable local painter (timber weatherboard) and as with most things I buy I wonder if I paid too much.

It took 2 guys 5 days flat chat to double coat all external walls, eaves, facia boards and 4 timber windows. The home is two level.

Although I am very happy with the results, I just wonder if its the usual going rate for professional painters these days i,e:

Total coast $4750

Paint cost $400-$500 tops

5 days (8 hour days with 1 hour smoko)

Therefore each pocketing $2125 for 35 hours with the brush.
:confused:

I can't answer your question as I have no idea what painters charge (although that price doesn't seem too bad to me), but just remember they aren't "pocketing" $2,125 each. Remember there are other costs involved, firstly were they registered for GST, if so, there goes 1/11th to the taxman, then materials and equipment, motor vehicle travel, did you get a quote - probably some time spent there, going to the store to get the supplies, possibly other standard business costs such as insurance, workcover, superannuation, bookkeeping/administration costs, telephone etc.

I'm getting my house painted inside and out. The price you've paid is pretty fair. If it's done properly with proper preparation, the correct number of coats and good quality paint, it sounds like good value to me.

That sounds about right,you did fine there.Good investment.
That is what I would pay my subcontractors for a job that size.
You wouldn't get me doing it personally for that ,but then again I'm not a cheap painter :D
Paint usually on a repaint is 10% of contract price.

I had a quote from a 'well known' painting firm in Brisbane for my 2 story queenslander and they quoted me $25k:eek: not had it painted yet:cool:

I had a quote from a 'well known' painting firm in Brisbane for my 2 story queenslander and they quoted me $25k:eek: not had it painted yet:cool:

25K is not out of the question for a two story Queenslander,mainly being in the city,health and safety issues and also the lead paint being one of the biggest costs or biggest risk factor in these type of buildings.
We use to do them in the city for around the 10K until lead sanding standards Australia came in.I do not do any lead work in the city now :)

Yey its Friday!

Had the house painting completed today by a reputable local painter (timber weatherboard) and as with most things I buy I wonder if I paid too much.

It took 2 guys 5 days flat chat to double coat all external walls, eaves, facia boards and 4 timber windows. The home is two level.

Although I am very happy with the results, I just wonder if its the usual going rate for professional painters these days i,e:

Total coast $4750

Nope that's a very good price!!! Average cost $60 p/h (including the smoko) working flat out, while you're kicking back?? Sounds like a very fair trade IMO.

Well done, on making a good investment choice with your money (and above all) time!! ;)

Definitely a very good price. I would have expected to pay a little more so you should be happy.

As mentioned, they would have "pocketed" far less than that so well done, especially if you are very happy with the results.

Cheers

Yey its Friday!

Total coast $4750

There is a hidden cost that is attached to this work.

That is the cost of you not having to do it.

Otherwise you would have done it yourself because it is so much fun. :eek:

I had to call in a painter to help me finish off our PPoR in time for the thing going on the market. Husband of my wife's work colleague who needed some work.

He charged me $200 per day, never did a full day's work in my book (8-5 is a full day I reckon) was never there before 8.30 and never there after 3.30 and considering he was a "professional" supposedly, his work was only satisfactory.

In fairness, he did paint it very quickly and we got it done, but I would never recommend him to anyone. Might explain why he needs the work.

The price you pay also depends on the quality of their work; a proper job involves cleaning everything, sanding back, re-filling any holes and then the paint.

Anyone can throw a bucket of paint at a house and get some on it, but it's the end result that you are (hopefully) paying for.

Back