Painting (do it right the first time)

Hello
I painted a huge house internally about 6 months ago. All of the exposed beams were mission brown, and I did on average 2 coats of Taubmans 3 in 1 (sealer, primer, undercoat), and then 2 coats of high gloss (wash and wear).
Well the tenants moved out, and I walked in to be greeted with the shodiest paint job I have ever seen, it was patchy and yellow in places, very ugly. I have spent the last week on leave, and have added 4 coats of 3 in 1, and 2 coats of high gloss. Finally this has given me an even consistency with no streaks of dark wood showing through, and the house looks like the million dollars it should have in the first place.
Just to summarize this is a total of 6 coats of undercoat, and 4 coats of high gloss to hide that ugly mission brown, so anyone thinking of painting over a dark colour such as this will have an uphill battle.
Also I experimented with using that sandstone paint on the floor, and while it looked great initially, it just looks plain tatty now, so I am now laying proper floor tiles (50cm * 50cm porcilien), this also goes for the white enamel paint on the floor in one of the bathrooms, I think if I had of done the job properly with that product it would have turned out OK, however with all the preperation I may as well just lay new floor tiles myself.
Regards Adam

Hi Adam!
I'm curious to know what type of floor did you use the sandstone paint on- an indoor room?
I've heard from many sources that painting over floor tiles (even resurfacing by the professionals) has limited success, due to the exposure that a floor generally gets.
Mission brown sounds like it was a challenge- thanks for the tip!

hello Jacque
It was the entry to the house, and I bought the expensive megatreat sealer which seemed to make no difference at all, I painted over old slate.
Regards Adam

When I was in high school & uni I worked for Bunnings in their paint department and I learned a lot about painting. Painting can be one of the easiest and cheapest ways to lighten up a tired old house. How long the effect lasts depends on the quality of the paint and how much is applied. Some things to help get a proper lifetime out of your painting:

Make sure you use the right undercoats for the surface you're painting on.

Some timber absorbs the first coat or two of undercoat. Make sure it is properly sealed before applying topcoats.

Allow proper drying times between coats. Then add some extra time just to make sure.

The paint can has instructions regarding what the temperature range and environmental conditions should be when you apply the paint.

Most paints are NOT meant to be 'thinned down'.

As a general rule, do not mix oil and water (there are occasionally exceptions to this rule - seek advice if unsure).

Taking shortcuts with painting can mean you'll have to do the job again in a year or two. If you do it right the first time, the finish should last 7-10 years.

I painted a large mission brown Pergola with premium outdoor paint (think it was solarguard). Light yellow color. Didn't use any primer and applied one coat. No brown streaks have come up and it has been a year.

Would pre-sanding help remove some of the mission brown before painting ?

No,

I used another of their products when painting a bath.

Funny thing, less than 1 hour after posting this, I saw it used on channel sevens "house calls to the rescue"!!! when they used to to undercoat skirting boards which were dark brown previously.

One coat and seemed to cover up extremely well.

Cheers,

Noddy

Back