Painting - Dulux vs cheaper options

Had an interior painting quote done, product they use is Dulux Wash & Wear Ultra Premium Matt. The quote says they can adjust the price by using cheaper paint options....but is it worth it, or does this stuff tend to be pretty durable?

I'm also mindful that it will be 2 coats over lavender/mauve, will the cheaper stuff potentially require more coats and potentially cost more anyway?

And any recommendations for a neutral/off white colour that isn't too clinical or likely to date in the near future? Kitchen cupboards are white, and bench is a very pale light blue/grey laminate - so maybe a touch of grey rather than beige?

I've always used Dulux.
Some painters say Wattyl is just as good, and a bit cheaper.
Colour - a matter of personal choice. Dulux natural white and Antique White USA are two of australia's favourite colours.

I've always used Taubmanns. I think they are one of the best bang for buck paints out there. But I'm not a painter. You should ask your painter his opinion on the other paint selections.

There is not much difference in paint cost between dulux and cheaper brands, unless you are buying no name brand from ebay or something like that, compared to labour.

I've always used Taubmanns. I think they are one of the best bang for buck paints out there. But I'm not a painter. You should ask your painter his opinion on the other paint selections.

All the big brands are good and has to be wash and wear or dont bother unless your going to sell.

Did cheapo style for rental, couldnt get the marks off the walls ended up repainting with wash and wear had no dramas since

I'm no painter, but i have preference for Taubmans Silk (if you can find it), then Taubmans endure, followed by Dulux Wash n Wear 101.

Good paint means less repainting. I've found with Taubmans and Dulux if you sugar soap the walls between tenants, it comes up looking quite new.

I'm an 'antique white woman' of late, had several rooms in PPOR painted in this to brighten it up. It is a really good colour (dulux) in rooms that have lots of light.
In darker rooms it looks like that yellowed white that was called magnolia back in the day...now want to repaint the darker rooms to whiter colour. Sooo many shades of white out there :rolleyes:

OP is right on using extra coats of cheaper paint especially on a mauve colour, the extra labor and the extra paint add up. I am not a painter but have tried this in the past, wasn't worth it!

Run a painting company, my guys only use Dulux.

Taubmans is alright but have had trouble with other paints, come out a little blotchy and a little harder to get a good finish, thus savings is spent more on labour/time.

Had an interior painting quote done, product they use is Dulux Wash & Wear Ultra Premium Matt. The quote says they can adjust the price by using cheaper paint options....but is it worth it, or does this stuff tend to be pretty durable?

I'm also mindful that it will be 2 coats over lavender/mauve, will the cheaper stuff potentially require more coats and potentially cost more anyway?

And any recommendations for a neutral/off white colour that isn't too clinical or likely to date in the near future? Kitchen cupboards are white, and bench is a very pale light blue/grey laminate - so maybe a touch of grey rather than beige?

If you want a touch of grey then look at Brume 1/4 strength it has warmth but not a creamy yellow warmth

444df2078181d7281d30b26782aef166.jpg

Taubmans is alright but have had trouble with other paints, come out a little blotchy and a little harder to get a good finish, thus savings is spent more on labour/time.

Sorry to hijack this thread but where is the cheapest place to buy bulk Dulux in Sydney (prefer North Shore area).

Do you spray and back roll?

pinkboy

I don't understand the concept of spray and back roll. If you have to touch it up with a roller may as well roll from the start. I understand you only save time reapplying paint on the roller but does this save a huge amount of time?

I don't understand the concept of spray and back roll. If you have to touch it up with a roller may as well roll from the start. I understand you only save time reapplying paint on the roller but does this save a huge amount of time?

just roller. we have a few spray machines but only use them for roofs, door frames etc.

I don't paint I have professional painters. I just line up the work.

as for cheap Dulux. we get trade discounts. just call up and have it delivered to the house.

Spraying applies the paint far more efficiently and evenly, then finishing off with a roller flattens out the overall area. Quicker as well, finishes nicer.

Quicker (saves time and labour) and more efficient use of paint = more profit.

Takes a bit more skill though to get it right.

pinkboy

just roller. we have a few spray machines but only use them for roofs, door frames etc.

I don't paint I have professional painters. I just line up the work.

as for cheap Dulux. we get trade discounts. just call up and have it delivered to the house.

Are they employees, or do you just manage the tradies?

pinkboy

Back