Painting information

Hi all. We get so much info off this site just want to thank you all. In return as a thanks if you have any painting queries you can email Steve my partner from Up Against The Wall painters and decorators ( he will really love me now) If you get stuck on anything just send him a note and he should be able to help out with advice. He is pretty fussy though so no doubt will get you doing everything and anything you can think of in the way of prep work..
Email is [email protected]

Hi pantotango

Welcome to the forum and thank you for offerring your assistance with painting....a bit of a browse through the Adding Value forum will show that some professional advice would be warmly welcomed at times

Good luck

Glenn

Thanks pantotango,

Another nice thing would be for you to post more. The more professionals in the widest area can only be good for the forum!

Lets see, we have numerous brokers, a couple of accountants, one or two buyer's agents, developers and a valuer.

Welcome to the party!

Jas

pantotango,

OK, I'll ask.

What's the best way of getting a nice line between two colours in the corner between two internal walls?

I cannot do it. Masking tape, plastic devices, careful painting, "corner paint" devices, and going over with a very small brush don't really seem to work well.

Then what does? (probably just a lot of practice- but I don't want to hear that :D )

HI GEOFFW

THE BEST WAY TO CUT INTO A INTERNAL CORNER
IS WITH A STEADY HAND AND A GOOD BRUSH THE BEST
BRUSH IS A BRAND BY THE NAME OF PURDY ALL GOOD
PAINT SHOPS SELL THEM GET THE ONE THAT IS CUT
ON A ANGLE AND MADE FROM SYNTHETIC MATERIAL
AND NOT HOG BRISTLE.
LOTS OF PRACTICE ON THIS IM AFRAID
GOOD LUCK.:D

This question may be a little off the painting theme but I have no idea of what to use on my new fence.

Just erected a new boundary fence, 7ft high, and used 3'' hardwood palings direct from the sawmill.

Had visions of painting it in the future but the colours and paterns on the palings are beautiful. Someone suggested I should oil the fence to retain the beautiful finish but I have no idea what to use for an exterior fence.

Can anyone offer some advice please?

Brenda

Some people down the road from me oiled their front fence and front deck, and wow it looks really awesome, so much more effective than the paint everybody else has. I've looked around, and I think they've used a Wattyl one. I think it makes the house stand out way above the others in the street. Wish I'd done my front fence the same, but I'd already painted it.

Pantotango

So if you use an angled brush to cut in (like for feature walls) it's the long bit that you use to cut in? And why not hogs hair brush? I always hold my breath when I'm doing feature walls, because it's so nerve wracking. Should you try and do the whole length in one sweep or can you go down with the brush and if you need to stop (to breathe) sweep inwards with the brush and then start again where you finished off.

Thanks QB:D

Hey Queen Bee and GeoffW,

I feel a bit weird giving you guys advice on painting since I've only recently done my first feature wall! (well first house I've painted actually!) just ignore me if you think I'm full of crap!!

Anyway, I used Dulux suede effects (seems to be popular)and I found it pretty easy to get a dead straight line by taping straight down the corner using "low stick" masking tape like painters masking tape (don't use strips of tape though! just use one long piece of tape from top to bottom and as you unravel it from the roll just make sure its straight and press it firmly into the wall so no paint can creep under it and spoil the line) then paint a thin first coat over the edge and when thats dry paint a thick second coat - when the paint is almost dry (but still tacky) rip the tape off... if everything goes to plan you won't need to touch anything up!

Don't know if you can do this with other (normal) types of paint - like I said I've never tried but I hope this helps!:)

ps: a synthetic bristled brush with a tapered filament (chisel shaped) gives the best result I've found...

HI EVERYONE

NUTHEAD WHEN USING LOW-TACK TAPE IT IS BEST
TO LET PAINT DRY COMPLETE THEN USE A STANLEY
KNIVE TO CUT DOWN LENGTH OF TAPE BEFORE
REMOVING.

BRENDA
USING A CLEAR OIL ON THE FENCE LOOKS REALLY
GOOD BUT IT IS HIGH MAINTENANCE, UV RAYS
REALLY KNOCK IT ABOUT, BUT IF YOU REALLY WANT
TO USE IT THEN USE A OIL CALLED ORGAN OIL
IT ABOUT THE BEST ONE FOR A FENCE.

QUEENBEE

I REALLY DO NOT LIKE HOG BRISTLE AS THE BRISTLE'S
DO FALL OUT UN-LIKE SYNTHETIC WHICH NEVER FALL
OUT. AS FOR CUTING IN SYNTHETIC BRUSH'S ARE
MORE TAPERED MAKING IT EASY TO CUT IN.
IT REALLY DOE'S NOT MATTER IF YOU START AND STOP
WHEN GOING DOWN THE LENGTH OF THE WALL.

HAPPY PAINTING

thanks Pantotango,

I found the stanley knife was only useful to cut the tape where there was a sharp 90 degree edge that had to be taped (like the edge between the skirting boards and the wall) I found it difficult to cut straight down the corner of 2 walls because the edge/junction was kind of rounded (if you understand what I'm talking about!!) so its hard to guide the cut directly on the edge of the tape... then again I'm not a pro-painter either ;)

Back