Painting inside of your home - worth doing Urself or best to employ a professional?

Have a 4x2x2 (145m2 inside) house and was looking at painting the inside of the house myself - you see it on the home shows, looks so easy, and I know it won't be that easy, but I'm looking at the cost savings too.

Note: I am not very handy. So, is this worth doing yourself or best to employ a professional?

I guess it depends on how much of a professional job I want (which a professional will be worth their time and effort in I guess)

Have a 4x2x2 (145m2 inside) house and was looking at painting the inside of the house myself - you see it on the home shows, looks so easy, and I know it won't be that easy, but I'm looking at the cost savings too.

Note: I am not very handy. So, is this worth doing yourself or best to employ a professional?

I guess it depends on how much of a professional job I want (which a professional will be worth their time and effort in I guess)

You can definitely do this yourself but I'd suggest going to Bunnings and attending their painting workshops. They will teach you how to properly cut in, load your brush, load your roller, what roller to choose for different surfaces etc. If you don't learn how to do it properly then your paint job will look amateur and affect your resale value later (or you will have to get a professional in to repaint it - false economy). Also, don't skimp on paint. Buy quality stuff, the cheap stuff looks.. well.. cheap.

Good luck
vtt
:)

I've painted LOTS of houses over many years because I learned from my parents how to do it properly. Early days we painted ourselves to save money. I have the skills but now have decided I'm "over" painting houses.

We lucked upon a painter at Bunnings, got his number and have kept him employed for a while now :D.

He is happy that we help him when needed, eg. getting a large house painted with a deadline for listing it, I did some of the painting with him. It is great having a really nice man to work with, happy to answer questions and give guidance.

I am happy to send you his details. Perhaps you can have him paint with you, and you learn from someone who knows what he is doing, save some money?

I've always hated painting by myself, but have done whole houses on my own (inside) while hubby is working on other things. Hubby and I have also painted many times together. It is so much nicer to chat whilst working.

You won't find a nicer man.

I think in the end, it comes down to - what's your time worth.
Or, do you enjoy painting.

I'm pretty good mechanically and in all building aspects, but hate painting, too much of a perfectionist to get involved in painting.
Give me an experienced painter anyday.

Agree with suggestions to get someone who knows what they are doing.

I suggest using the various quoting websites available. I've had good results with getting a range of quotes from http://serviceseeking.com.au . hipages.com.au is another.

Most recently used for finding an electrician, however I have also used them for sourcing pest controllers and other trades.

Read the reviews. Don't instantly go for the lowest price. The more proactive ones will call you up. Beats yellow pages and disinterested tradies.

Check licences are valid.

airtasker.com is another option, also has a review system however people from here may be unlicensed. Perhaps not an issue if the job is under $1000. Airtasker do provide public liability insurance for peace of mind.

Ive done enough painting over the years to know I don't like it , so now leave it to the professionals.

Anyone can paint a house, not everyone can paint a house well though. See so many DIY disaster paint jobs at open homes.

I used to paint myself, but my shoulders are stuffed these days and so I just got the painter i use these days to paint my ppor. It was a big job and was 2 weeks full time for a pro painter... would have taken me months.

I've painted 3 properties over past few years. At first it is fun but then it gets boring and tiring.

If you are going to do it yourself start off doing one or two rooms at a time. It will take a bit longer but you can see the finished result and it can increase your motivation.

If you hate doing it you can stop once you have finished the room.

Good paint does make a difference.

I've painted heaps. If you got the time and want to save a can load of money then by all means DIY. If you got a spare 10K lying idle then get a top pro for a mickey mouse job.

I've seen some DIYs and just laugh at the ordinary paint job. Watch youtube for techniques. Don't skimp on preperation. Keep a steady hand for detail areas. Don't get high on the thinners lol or maybe use water based paint.

Painting oh tele looks easy because you see them run a roller over then 2 minutes later it's done... And never any close up shots cause they have probably done a less than average job.
Plus you don't see the swearing and cursing getting everything ready, clearing rooms and prepping takes the most time! If it's your ppor just pick a room and give it a go. don't choose dark or contrasting colours because with whites you can hide your mistakes easier! Plus don't get to ocd with wall prep, if there are no obvious stand out marks or dings etc leave it. When you spend hours with your head 500mm from the wall you spot every slight blemish! Just learn to turn a blind eye or you'll go mad!

Last edited:
just start with 1 room and see how you go. Ask for an objective 3rd party opinion on the result. Personally I find it quite easy, but for an old house I had with high ceilings that were peeling...yep called in a painter.

Move your hand up, now move it down.

If you managed that... then you can paint.

Or you can be lazy and pay a painter.

Out of ALL the reno jobs, painting is by far the easiest and most enjoyable job there is. If you're complaining about painting... do not attempt any reno job at all, your threshold is not high enough for DIY.

Get some 100 watt lights onto the walls you're painting....you'll see where you've missed. Be careful not to get too close to the lights as you could singe your eyebrows lol.

Datto you would have no shortage of high wattage heat lamps at your place? Removing a few to get a nice paint finish shouldnt cause any issues to growth short term?

Back