Painting Melamine

I'm installing a melamine kitchen and am worried that it will look old within the year. Melamine chips easily (especially in a rental) and I was wondering if I should paint the cupboards with clear or white laminate paint.
Would this laminate paint help to protect the melamine and extend the life of the kitchen?
Thanks for your advice,
Regards,
Crystal

Hi crystal,

the short answer is no, melamine is alot tougher than any paint.

two suggestions though.....instead of edging it with melamine

edging get it edged with pvc edging, dearer but will extend its life.

Use white melamine......easy to match later and half the price of

most colours. When you get it made ask what brand it is and

what finish....most manufacturers do a pearl or satin finish.

rossv

Hi Ross,
Thanks for your reply.
I have purchased the kitchen and yes, it is white.
I'm just worried about the drawers and doors as the edges chip easily.
The edges are finished with melamine. Can I add PVC edging now?
Thanks again,
Crystal

Hi crystal,

........Yes...........however............
Melamine edging is .4mm thick, Pvc edging is 2-3mm thick.
So all the doors and drawer fronts will have to be cut down to accomodate the extra thickness of the pvc.
Probably a better option to leave until they start to get a little scruffy and then they can be trimmed down(cut off chips)and re-edged maybe with a colour to dress up.
another thought....If the edging itself gets chipped it is easy enough to replace....just iron the old off and iron new on and trim with file/stanley knife and sand.
To hide chips on white melamine always carry a bottle of liquid paper!.......:)

rossv

Thanks Ross,
I'm sure I've seen PVC edging before and will consider this when liquid paper no longer helps. Great advice!!
Cheers,
Crystal

Thanks Ross,
I'm sure I've seen PVC edging before and will consider this when liquid paper no longer helps. Great advice!!
Cheers,
Crystal

there is a product called ISP which is used to prep surfaces prior to applying paint to various surfaces

Chech your local bunnings

HTH

Fredo

Hi Crystal!
I've used White Knight's laminate paint for old kitchen cupboards (yes they were laminated in a lovely timber look reminiscent of the 70's!) and they turned out a treat. Antique white and replaced knobs with some snazzy chrome ones. Transformed the look of the kitchen, and will keep on looking good for a few more years until the owners can afford new cupboards. Easy to apply and cheap.

Originally posted by fredo
there is a product called ISP which is used to prep surfaces prior to applying paint to various surfaces

Chech your local bunnings

HTH

Fredo

ESP - easy surface prep - makes paint stick to anything !

While we are on the subject of painting laminate/melamine, has anybody tried painting these surfaces with any other paint but the ones specifically made for them?

I suppose what I am asking is....can you prep the surface with a primer and then just paint a normal flat paint over that??

Glenn

I haven't tried it mostly becuase I have visions about the flexability of the paint vs the melamine.

Bonding could be an issue too.

Why not try calling Dulox's help line? Have a look on their website for the number. I've called a few times and gotten a guy who's been a painter for 40+ yrs. He wanted a sit down job, so he's answering paint questions.

Jas

Back