Painting old Kitchen Cabinets?

Attention painting experts,

I have the classic 70's dark "mission brown" laminex woodgrain kitchen to brighten up - all in top condition.

I have seen a paint product to prime and paint these surfaces from Bunnings, (cupboards only - not the bench top).

Has anyone tried this product ...or...

Can these laminex surfaces be painted with normal acrylic sealer/undercoat and acrylic gloss top coat? Any drama's here?

By the way - this property is for rental.

rgs

PJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Reply: 1

Hi Phillip
My experience of painting over laminex is that it is not that successful, only good for touching up nicks and cracks. However ESP works to help oil based paints stick to most other surfaces.
Good luck
Simon

Reply: 1.1

Thanks Simon,

...but excuse my ignorance - ESP??

What's that?

rgs

PJ

Reply: 1.1.1

Philip,

ESP, is Easy Surface Preparation, and it is not a misnomer!!!

You just wipe it on, leave it 5 mins, wipe it off, leave it 90 mins, then paint! I recently re-did my kitchen with it, and I had the same brown laminex that you described! I painted it with Dulux High Gloss White. You would never believe it's the same kitchen!!!

I was VERY happy with the result, and including new stainless steel door knobs (20, at $3.50 each), the kitchen cost me a grand total of $150 to re-do!

Give it a try, it is worth it!

asy

"Don't forget what happened to the guy who suddenly got everything he ever wanted...
He lived happily ever after.
(Willy Wonka).

Reply: 1.1.1.1

Thanks Asy,

I'd never heard of ESP, I take it you simply buy it from any hardware/paint supplier.

I think I'll give it a go and let you know.

btw,

I got a bag full (45) of solid brass knobs for $2.20 each from The Bargain Centre, in Canterbury Rd, Kilyth (Melb - Outer East).

They'll take your order and do a deal on whatever.

rgs

PJ

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1

Hello,

I would give it ago to as described to you - not hard.
(Jacque i was going to send this to you to add to your list)
But for future reference i have come across a man who does the most amazing and economical resurfacing around. Bathtubs - Basins - ceramic tiles - showers cabinets - bench tops and on it goes. They repair chips scratches etc first - sand cabinets, bench-tops, and the product is EP-Acrylic. They do the floor tiles also but with a different product. Two coats of primer and three top-coats, produces an incredibly hard hard durable surface. General use 24hours later.
He is a Brisbane business but interstaters may be able to contact him for referral - don't know only guessing.
Hope someone can use this, up to 70% cheaper than replacement of kitchens etc., great for rentals.
Multi-Surface Restorations
07 - 32994033
www.msr.net.au

Have fun
Denise

Reply: 1.1.1.1.1.1

You are a gem Denise- and thanks for your other contacts. I've just got back from my 10 day reno in Brissy and most of it went well (but that's another story!).

Philip, I recently very successfully helped my sister paint the cupboards in a very similar sounding kitchen to yours. We used White Knight Laminate paint (antique white) and it came up a treat. We filled and sanded any holes etc then used the paint and gave it all two coats. Can't recall using ESP though.. we just read the back of the can basically. Then, like others, replaced old ugly knobs with round chrome ones, and it looked fantastic! I would do it again, and even on my own kitchen. My sister was ecstatic with the result. Good luck with whatever you do!
Cheers, Jacque :)

Reply: 2

Here are some ideas
http://lifestyle.ninemsn.com.au/ourhouse/factsheets/db/makeovers/05/558.
asp
http://lifestyle.ninemsn.com.au/ourhouse/factsheets/db/makeovers/01/177.
asp

They also have one on painting the kitchen cuboards, but I couldn't find
it with a quick look

Jas

> -----Original Message-----
> From: propertyforum Listmanager
> [mailto:[email protected]]
> Sent: Monday, 18 March 2002 8:55 AM
> To: Recipients of 'propertyforum' suppressed
> Subject: Painting old Kitchen Cabinets?
>
> From: "Phillip Jacovelli" <[email protected]>
>
> Attention painting experts,
>
> I have the classic 70's dark "mission brown" laminex woodgrain kitchen
to
> brighten up - all in top condition.
>
> I have seen a paint product to prime and paint these surfaces from
> Bunnings, (cupboards only - not the bench top).
>
> Has anyone tried this product ...or...
>
> Can these laminex surfaces be painted with normal acrylic
sealer/undercoat
> and acrylic gloss top coat? Any drama's here?
>
> By the way - this property is for rental.
>
> rgs
>
> PJ
>
>
>
> To reply: mailto:p[email protected]
> To start a new topic: mailto:p[email protected]
> To login: http://bne003w.webcentral.com.au:80/~wb013

Reply: 2.1

Jas,

The links as marked up (by the forum software I assume) don't work. People will have to go to the link, then type in "asp" at the end of the url.

Thanks for the links

Geoff

Reply: 3

Philip

I downloaded two posts last year from the American site www.creonline.com as I was at the time painting some mission brown cupboards. Too good to throw away, but really dismal in a small space.

I got advice from my local 'Paint Place' in Croydon Main Street, who tinted sealer for me to match the 'end rust' high gloss paint which I had bought some time earlier, intending to paint the powder coated window frames (but then thought better of it!)

The difference in presentation of the kitchen was nothing short of miraculous, but how it's travelling I don't know, and won't know unless / until the tenants leave.

Here is the link (copy & paste), the posts of most use were by Steve Lingeman (September 17, 2001), and John J. (September14, 2001). Brand names are, of course, American, but similar products will undoubtedly be available in the australian market.

URL: http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/arc_2001/arc_51/51725.html

Cheers

Kristine

BTW If you can't travel after opening this link, edit the URL to www.creonline.com/wwwboard then go to search and enter cabinets

Back