Painting Q's: especially timeframe

Was wondering if more experienced people can help me out,

currrently painting a house, cheap investment property,

have been using a handyman to do most of the renos, however, he is a painter by trade, he is being paid per hour, so far pretty good, im quite happy,

we are currently painting, how long realistically will it take to paint an entire inside of a 2bdr house?

myself and him have been fully at it for 2 days straight now, admittedly, ive been doing a few other things in the process, but, since we are on a deadline, and running short of time, ive hired another guy for 2 days, so that will mean 2 guys + me for 2 days on top, to me it just seems a bit excessive,

im learning very very quickly, so far, this is whats happened, and what we need to do (according to him)

done so far,
- I have hand sanded down all the skirts, window sills, frames, curtain enclosures that cant be done by tools
- we have used sealer to seal all the above (some needed two coats as the original colour was showing thorugh)
- Have removed all of the doors/robes off their hinges
- we both have taped up all of the window frames, skirts
- He has painted all the skirts with a high gloss
- He has cut the ceiling into the walls
- He has painted all the ceilings
- I have painted about 80% of the window frames/frames

To do:
- finish sealing a few skirts
- finish glossing a few skirts
- finish taping/painting the remaining window frames
- Tool Sand the walls
- Cut in the walls w sealer
- Seal the walls
- Cut in the walls w wall paint
- Paint the walls

so far its taken 2 full days of me and him, and have hired another painter to make 2 painters + me for another 2 days,

just seems a bit excessive,

did I just schedule wrong? or is he doing a high end job (he knows, im on a budget and so far has been very budget conscious), what is a realistc time frame for a paint job?

Breakdown for 1 man in acrylic painted 2BR straight forward dwelling:

Day 1: wash walls, bog up holes in wall, apply tape where neccessary.

Day 2: sand holes in wall (miniscule job) cut ceiling, roll ceiling, cut bottom walls, prime doors/doorframes.

Day 3: recut ceiling, reroll ceiling, roll walls (ceiling is now finished)

Day 4: recut bottom walls, cut top walls, roll walls 1st coat.

Day 5: cut top walls, reroll walls (walls now finished), wait a couple hours, paint doors/doorframes with enamel first coat.

Day 6 (half day): final coat doors/doorframes, cleanup.

A straightforward 2BR place is worth 6 full man days overall, unless fiddly stuff comes into play (balustrades, scaffold in or external, horrible plumbing fixtures, external floors, feature walls etc). A fast painter will do the same with a 3 BR place. Generally, for painting, you're looking at 400 a room overall, or total price in Darwin of $12/m.

That's the builder breakdown.

To me it sounds that you're a little slow, but nothing crazy, given that one of the men (you) is on the phone/scratching his bum not as quick as a pro, plus you're talking wardrobes.

All in all, I would say that your handyman has done you a big favour.

I just had a 2br villa painted. I did the washdown/sanding.

Was a simple job with 1 coat on walls in same colour to freshen it up, 1 coat on cornice/ceilings in bedrooms, 2 coats + some skimming in lounge/dining/kitchen.

Doors and frames in white enamel, minimal timber trim as frames were metal and window surrounds were concrete render.

Took my painter 3 days total to do it. Would have been 4-5 days if second wall coat was needed and there was skirting etc to do.

If he has to use tape on the windows,hes not a professional painter,

Why would you cut the walls in with sealer as the ceiling paint would have been brought down?

Why would you cut the walls in with sealer as the ceiling paint would have been brought down?

And I would not have thought a pro would need all the doors taken of the hinges.

If he has to use tape on the windows,hes not a professional painter

Slightly off topic, but have you seen the amount of blue tape they use on The Block? If they spent half as much time painting as masking they would be enjoying a relaxing beer instead of racing to finish up to the last minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa1nter View Post

And I would not have thought a pro would need all the doors taken of the hinges.

Nor would he paint the skirts before the walls.

Tools

ok, im learning all the terminology in painting very quickly,

the windows are old so there are multiple panes of glass per every window, so we had to seal and then gloss the frames within the window as well

as for cutting the walls, come to think about it, not sure why you would need to....... wouldnt you still need to cut the corners in since the ceiling wasnt sealed, and just ceiling painted?

ok, im learning all the terminology in painting very quickly,

the windows are old so there are multiple panes of glass per every window, so we had to seal and then gloss the frames within the window as well

as for cutting the walls, come to think about it, not sure why you would need to....... wouldnt you still need to cut the corners in since the ceiling wasnt sealed, and just ceiling painted?
I think the point is you seal once - wall and ceiling - no cutting in. Then paint the ceiling no cutting in as over paint with ceiling white will just be covered by the wall paint and then cut in once with the wall paint at the ceiling door skirting etc.

Cheers

well to his credit, he told me the ceilings in general dont need sealer, just ceiling paint,

the skirts if they are coloured or very dirty will need sealer, in this case they were brown so we needed 1-2 coats of sealer

the walls, are needing 2 coats of sealer since they are a dark red!

this is what we did in this order

sealed all skirts, doors, frames, then painted them gloss
then 1 coat ceiling white
then 2 coats sealer on walls

my guess is that since we didnt seal the ceiling is why he has to cut in the corners (ceiling)

edit: do you really think that removing the doors/robe doors was unnecessary, I just assumed he wanted to do a good job

Can someone recommend a pale colour that will work for both ceilings and walls. White was suggested and agree, it will open the place up but will also get dirty quicker. Also, is Taubmans Endure good enough for a semi in Elizabeth, Adl? For our Syd renos we've bought from a paint shop rather than Bunnings.

Thanks
Amelia

ok so for my education and future projects for cheap ips,

is this the correct\best way

step 1; 1 coat of ceiling paint, no cutting of corners
step 2: sand, seal skirts, no cutting
step 3; gloss skirts, no cutting
step 4; sand, seal walls, cut top and bottom
step 5; paint walls, cut top and bottom

my current proejct is taking so long because, we had to seal, cut and gloss the frames and robes, plus, windows have heaps of frames which needed sealing and gloss, some of the walls required 2 coats of sealer to seal the colour

p.s when i went to the paint shop, they told me for next time, i could buy one of those $500 paint sprays and do it all myself in about 1-1.5days, saving heaps on labour with an ok result but needing to tape up a lot more, im thinking of my next project to buy one of these spray guns

Thanks Dave and Jen for suggesting those colours.

Exotic, we bought one of the Wagner spray guns before our last 4 bed Reno, the taping itself took over a day and then the painting went pretty quickly but we were all sprayed with that fine mist of paint. The good thing is that we were changing the floor coverings so it worked pretty okay, quite fiddly though. We were doing 2 rooms at home before Christmas last year and I asked hubby if we could being out the spray gun and he said not worth the hassle.

Back