painting security doors

two local guys - $82-90/door ... cheaper than buying new ones but i have to remove all the paraphenalia (sp?). wrong time of year really - no screen doors for a week and all those flies ...

I just brush painted mine with gloss black and looks fine as nobody ever looks up close anyways. Took ages but then sounds like it would for powder coating. I think I spent $30 for 4 windows and a door. I hate the look overall of security screens but do prefer black.

Obviously depends on the value of the property but I want to replace with wrought iron one day so only wanted a quick fix and find nothing too wrong with the results.

Use gloss enamel oil paint thinned with a little Penetrol. That will stick to anything. Apply sparingly with an almost dry brush , using the ENDS of the bristles to "dab" the paint into all the tight spots, mesh etc. No need to take off the door or disassemble etc. May need two coats.
LL

I tried calling few places but it looks like $50/door sound too cheap to be too. They verbally quoted me from $275/door onwards. This involves sand blasting, chemical dip, zinc the door (not sure what that does), and powercoat. That's too much. Might as well get a a new door. The alternative is to paint it myself but that will take forever and might not look as good. I have recently painted a hand rail and I find that it takes too much time and doesn't look good.

Can anyone point me to somewhere in Melbourne that does powercoating at reasonable price?

Thanks,

Dark Blue color looks really good for the security doors. You can also use the combination of the Dark Blue color and white color at the edges and handle.

hey troopno, i actually run a security door company, and i think we pay around 40 dollars a door at wholesale price to get a door powder coated. I think its still only around 60 for someone to walk off the street though. They are located in the bayswater area. Let me know if you need the name and address.

Make sure you take off the wire, give it a good clean with soapy water (not metho!) and take off the locks, and wheels if its a slider. One way mesh doesnt re powder coat very well. Theres a supplier in dandenong that sell it by the sheet for around 40 dollars and it comes in most colours. Looks much better with new mesh too.

Glad to finally help someone else on here :)

The aluminium one way mesh is availble from a company called alspec in dandenong. I think You can also get it from a company in bayswater called lincoln sentry

Back