painting security doors

just wondering if anyone has done this with success.

i was wanting to replace my 3 security doors with the security mesh - but at $600ea i think i might have changed my mind ($1800 all up - all those "couplagrands" are starting to get out of control on the reno).

problem is that the current security doors are baked paint in what will be the wrong colour ... as we are changing the external trim colour of the red brick house to modern off white and warm charcoal rather than rich cream and dark green.

was thinking about removing the mesh - quick sand - spray paint in the correct colour - restore mesh.

Maybe you could investigate taking off the entire security door, having it sand blasted and then repainting it in the correct colour.

I can't see how else you could effectively remove the paint.

lizzie , l have done this before with great success.
I went to a Panel and Paint shop.
I explained the type of mesh and the type of coating. They actually mixed up a paint to match other security stuff. They then gave me a tin of the paint and a spray can of the paint.
It worked a treat, the spray can was the easiest to use on the doors as it was an extremely fine paint. Its a bit like a type of paint you would use for your car.
So just any old spray can will not do. It had a very strong odour to it so use a mask just to be safe.
I have also used it on security [window]grills. Great.
cheers
yadreamin

powder coated ... where would you get them redone?

Lizzie, most light industrial areas have a powder coater. Just try looking under 'powder coater' in yellow pages or your local community directory.

We've had two doors re-coated with excellent results and they weren't expensive at all.

Powdercoating is definately the way to go...

If you cannot find powdercoater easily,..ask your local security screen co...we all powderocat stuff everyday. Should cost you about $50 for a door.
BUT strip all the flymesh , spline, locks and hinges off them first.

It is always better to powdercoat darker than the original colour.... dark will bleed through a lighter colour. (Charcoal over green should be fine :) )

Actually I have (brush) painted security doors.

2005 and I went to town painting them all, washed them, bit of a rub over and wacked on the paint with a brush, (I didn't realise it was perhaps a non preferred option, which was in no uncertain terms pointed out to me..) and yet, I still wanted to see what would happen. I had a dream.....->

4 years later they still look new, paint isn't peeling or cracking, and the mesh wasn't that convuluted or intricate, I bowled them over pretty quick.

So, while I do not reccommend it, I did this and so far consequences are zilch.

Mistakes were made, but not by me.:)

I did that a few years ago. You have to pop off all the plastic stuff, take out the locks etc. Take it to a powdercoating place.

Dont throw the old wheels away cuz you need them when you're getting new ones and there's a few different shapes and sizes.

just had a closer look at them (gosh only lived here 10 months!) and they don't have flywire, but rather security mesh riveted to the metal screen.

not sure how to take it off - but wonder if it can be powercoated with it left on?

You would need to drill the rivits out to take the mesh off, but if you go this way, don't forget to get the pieces that hold the mesh on, powder coated also.:)

Don't see why you can't do it all in one piece if its that well stuck together. I assume you mean the mesh that looks like it was once a sheet of steel, with little holes kind of punched through it?

Lizzie

Mr Minx is away for a few days for work, but I should be able to get you an answer by the weekend, or if I remember I'll ask him tonight when he calls me.

May I presume you are referring to one way vision or restricted vision mesh?
Just call the powder coaters, they'll let you know if it'll be okay over the phone. They'd have done it many times before. I reckon it will be okay.

it's the one way vision stuff ... i'll ring around on monday ... feeling a bit washed out from my 10m3 of mulch moving yesterday.

I had this done last year. The existing security door was Brunswick green, and was wanting to go to a matt black. At the same time, I had all the mesh replaced and some new door hardware. For memory that cost me around ~$400.

A couple of people have mentioned $50 just for the powdercoating. They are at least going to have to sandblast it first. That sounds awefully cheap to me but good value if you can.

I had this done last year. The existing security door was Brunswick green, and was wanting to go to a matt black. At the same time, I had all the mesh replaced and some new door hardware. For memory that cost me around ~$400.

A couple of people have mentioned $50 just for the powdercoating. They are at least going to have to sandblast it first. That sounds awefully cheap to me but good value if you can.

No sandblasting required. Mine were done over 12 months ago with no adverse effects

Back