Painting the house

I am in the process of painting my house, from past experiences, how much value can a new coat of paint inside the house add to equity?

I am also wanting to fix the outside pergola roof, once its all done I would like to revalue my house.

Thanks

My guess is independent of market movements - nothing. You may be able to sell it for more, if it has kerbside appeal. The again, people will pay for kerbside appeal or aesthetic look even if its not painted. The property still has the same bedrooms, bathrooms, internal fittings and fixtures.

It'll add a fortune if your house was previously vomit green, peeling, had a mural painted on it and inside each room was a different shade of rainbow. More specifically, terrible paint *removes* value.

You do get a little value add with repainting but not much if the paint was already average to good and a reasonable (but not trendy) colour scheme. More so with weatherboard houses I imagine, not brick ones.

I'm currently painting the outside of mine and it will add a fair slab of value but again, it is dreadful outside. It was white, dark green and pale pink with half the stones outlined in black and half not, patches where the paint had peeled back to the stone and a lot of dark grey mortar patches making the mended cracks visible from 1km away. I'm also adding twiddly decorative bits and new gutters though, its not just paint. Mainly for marketablity - if it looks like crap outside, the perception is it is crap inside too, and my place is very nice inside.

We are going to paint the inside of our place and will be choosing the colours soon. Our place originally had wallpaper everywhere, which will be an **** to get off but the new paint will look alot better than floral walls. We have decided to go for a few different colours throughout the house - nothing over the top..subtle colours, I think if it's done properly then a few different colours can really give the home some character.

My sisters house is pink throughout the inside, when they repaint - that will definitly add value. Ask rumpledelf said, bad paint removes value.

We are going to paint the inside of our place and will be choosing the colours soon. Our place originally had wallpaper everywhere, which will be an **** to get off but the new paint will look alot better than floral walls. We have decided to go for a few different colours throughout the house - nothing over the top..subtle colours, I think if it's done properly then a few different colours can really give the home some character.

My sisters house is pink throughout the inside, when they repaint - that will definitly add value. Ask rumpledelf said, bad paint removes value.

Andrew, a little trick to removing wallpaper ,
Peel off the coating in as many areas as possible , then buy one of those large weed sprayers, the larger the better, Add some fabric softner, to the container, and fill it with water, pump up the bottle and spray over the walls , the water in the container soaks through to the glue, and the paper will fall off, the fabric softner reduces the water evaporation, and keeps the paper wetter for longer, keep peeling off the top layer though this usually is vynal and stops the water soaking through to the glue, ;)

Thanks for the heads up!

Thats a great tip. I will definitly be trying that before we go out and hire a steamer! Could save us some much needed money!

Cheers

Andrew, a little trick to removing wallpaper ,
Peel off the coating in as many areas as possible , then buy one of those large weed sprayers, the larger the better, Add some fabric softner, to the container, and fill it with water, pump up the bottle and spray over the walls , the water in the container soaks through to the glue, and the paper will fall off, the fabric softner reduces the water evaporation, and keeps the paper wetter for longer, keep peeling off the top layer though this usually is vynal and stops the water soaking through to the glue, ;)

Agreed. We had to remove wallpaper from only 2 rooms, and swore next time I would use a sprayer of some sort.
We used the commercial wallpaper remover, but heard that fabric softener also did the trick. I just didn't know the ratio of softener to water????

paint makes the property much nicer,,

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCI2483a.jpg
    DSCI2483a.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 773
  • DSCI2578a.jpg
    DSCI2578a.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 774

Go to bunnings and grab a steam wallpaper remover.
Cost around $15 and makes it a sinch to remove wallpaper.

It'll add a fortune if your house was previously vomit green, peeling, had a mural painted on it and inside each room was a different shade of rainbow. More specifically, terrible paint *removes* value.

You do get a little value add with repainting but not much if the paint was already average to good and a reasonable (but not trendy) colour scheme. More so with weatherboard houses I imagine, not brick ones.

I'm with this. I'm sure that if you have a pretty weatherboard and you want to change it from white to an up-to-the-minute-you-beaut-beige (or stone, or putty, or sandstorm ... you get the idea), then it makes precious little difference.
But if you have something where the colour and condition is actually detracting from the property, then it's worth a bit.
Our place is Italian-1980s decorated, and largely untouched on the outside since then. Some bright spark, in his wisdom, painted our original brick exterior yellow - with Brunswick green and mission brown decorative touches - at about the same time. I reckon that if we get rid of the 1980s naf colour scheme - given that we can't do away with the paint entirely without huge expense and trouble - then of course the place would look better. Enough to get you in the door anyway, if it was for sale and you were a maybe buyer. That's got to add value, IMHO.

Back