Painting vinyl floor in bathroom?

Hi there,

There's a commercial vinyl installed in the bathroom of my IP in Melbourne and I've been looking at options to replace it. However, instead of going to all that cost, is it possible to just re-paint it? I.e. similar to tile resurfacing? Any tips?

Thanks!

You can get vinyl paint (specifically for painting onto vinyl - mostly motor vehicles) but I'm unsure if it would stand up to the foot traffic in a bathroom.

Hi Mal,

You definately can't paint floor vinyl unfortunately. There are products out there that paint almost anything - even vinyl on a vertical surface but not on a horizontal surface especially where there will be foot traffic. Vinyl isn't that expensive (to replace with another vinyl) - especially for a bathroom (unless it is a very big bathroom!).

If you only have a few hundred dollars to spend, go down to a local flooring supplier and see if they have any off cuts you can buy. You should only need a few square metres for a bathroom. Make sure you prep the floor and use an appropriate vinyl product and adhesive for a wet area.

Hope thats helpful,
Jane

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mal,

You definately can't paint floor vinyl unfortunately. There are products out there that paint almost anything - even vinyl on a vertical surface but not on a horizontal surface especially where there will be foot traffic. Vinyl isn't that expensive (to replace with another vinyl) - especially for a bathroom (unless it is a very big bathroom!).
If you only have a few hundred dollars to spend, go down to a local flooring supplier and see if they have any off cuts you can buy. You should only need a few square metres for a bathroom. Make sure you prep the floor and use an appropriate vinyl product and adhesive for a wet area.

Actually you can paint it and make it stick,however you then cannot successfully stick another vinyl on top,
I agree with hotspace,put another vinyl on top,doesn't have to be heavy duty because you already have a good base underneath.

However if you insist on painting it,you need to give it a good criss cross sand with 80 grit sandpaper ,apply an oil based undercoat then a paving paint or similar.
Best is a two pack primer,with a two pack top coat.

I personally would just buy new lino;)

Hey Painter can you tell me what product you would use to paint vinyl flooring? I have never heard of that before (been designing 17 years). Would be interested as I work with property investors on thrifty budgets all the time!
Thanks a lot

Hey Painter can you tell me what product you would use to paint vinyl flooring? I have never heard of that before (been designing 17 years). Would be interested as I work with property investors on thrifty budgets all the time!
Thanks a lot
Hi Jane.
Everything can be painted one way or another.
Glass,steel.concrete,wood,colorbond,fabric,fencing wire,aluminum ,carpet,old lead paint,nearly anything you can think of as long as the surface is secure.
(You cannot paint oil or water ;))
You don't need anything special (Contrary to what the paint shop says).

Oil undercoat is amazing stuff,capable of sticking to almost anything.

Everyone on this forum should have a tin of it handy :D

You can then apply almost anything on top that suits you except a two pac paint.(Two pac must go on two pac,except for certain undercoats ,but that's another thread)

If you want to paint industrial vinyl in say a fish and chip shop,you must use a two pack primer and a two pack top coat.
Almost indestructible afterwards.

If you only want to freshen up say a laundry,an oil undercoat and your required top coats will suffice.

Hope that helps, :eek:

Back