Painting Window Frames

Recently moved into a new PPOR and would like to change the colour scheme.

The window frames are coloured - powder coated?

Has anyone has success with DIY painting or using professionals? Cost?

Recently stayed in a unit on the Gold Coast, and paint was peeling off the frames everwhere, so I imagine prep is the key.

Any advice appreciated.

This is not a feat hearted.

Have you considered how many little ridges, nooks, crannies & fissures there are in frame, tracks, handles, glazing frames etc? So the preparation won't be easy.

Preparation will require a light sand to ALL surfaces, masking everything you don't want painted, surface penetrating undercoat eg penetrol, then spray your new finish.

It may not take, bleed under the tape, have overspray, or ruin all of your seals, brushes & rollers.

It'd be easier to pull out and replace all of the windows or to sell the house. Consider a cheaper option like renering the house instead.

PC is the almost indestructible finish (like anodising) & will last for the life of the windows.

I have done it. Both in windows and sliding doors. Not sure if I'd do it again, unless I had loads of time.

The prep took way longer than the painting; as Scott mentions, lightly sand every surface, then I used metho to clean them. For the fly screens, I just took out the screen, so I had an empty frame.

Masked, and used newspaper on the glass to protect it. I simply used spray cans of paint. This meant that I didn't have to clean up any equipment, but it was also not the cheapest form of paint. Plus, it really hurts the finger to hold down the spray for hours on end! I did at least 2 coats (cream over mission brown) and some areas needed 3.

2 years later, it was still as nice as the day I did it, but I haven't seen it for 3 years, so it may have deteriorated since.

similar situation

Recently purchased a property with ugly blue powder coated window frames. I was having a handy man over to quote on other stuff and asked him to quote on this....he wouldn't 'in a million years' attempt it but suggested when we render the front and get a painting quote, they would give us a better price to include the window frames at that stage.
It is a rental with 4 students and we won't be rendering until we are ready to sell. If you find a good solution though, please do update! :D
P.s. did some research with the ever reliable Google and apparently there are products you can use for this which don't require sanding...not sure I would trust it given how time Consuming it would be!

Thanks guys. Was considering using professionals, but interesting to hear of Wobbly's crack at it.

I realize it would be very tricky - that's why I don't want to do it myself!

It's a creamy / yellow colour and so is the internal paint (everywhere!), so trying to think of an option where it would fit into a new paint scheme.

I have just finished painting my windows with colourbond touch up spray cans. The look like new windows. It is 90% preperation. Tap all areas up good that you don't want painted.

Tip is to do light coats rather than try and cover the whole area in one coat.

It cost $11/can and 2 cans per window plus masking tape and masking paper.

I have just finished painting my windows with colourbond touch up spray cans. The look like new windows. It is 90% preperation. Tap all areas up good that you don't want painted.

Nice - how long did it take you?

About half hr- one hour to tape all up and about 10mins to paint each coat. Painting it is the fun part. Taping up is the time consuming part.

Second this.

About half hr- one hour to tape all up and about 10mins to paint each coat. Painting it is the fun part. Taping up is the time consuming part.

Also, if you are painting in situ consider taping up plastic as a "spray booth" to minimise/eliminate overspray. Pics show my temporary spray booth as well as masking, with the job in progress.

Attachments

• temp spray booth.jpg
    temp spray booth.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 138
  • masking.jpg
    masking.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 137
That's also a good point wobby to cover anything you don't want sprayed. Although I didn't do this and I didn't have problems with over spray if we are giving advice you should do it as a precaution.

Also wear a mask or respirator of some sort.

My SIL has just finished a huge house white over mission brown. Looks fab. He bought expensive 14 day masking tape (doesnt bleed under edge) and spray painted. First couple he did painting on sealer then gloss, looked terrible took forever. spray painting the way to go

depending on the colour it is and what you want could you just do the edge instead of inside the tracks and runner aswell??

Back