Palm trees in Melbourne

I'd love to grow a few palm trees in my backyard (outdoor), preferably to full size (5+ metres). I don't know which species to choose that can survive Melbourne weather + soil condition.

Do you have any experience on species?

Thank you.

Are you talking about those large Palms you see along Beach Rd in St Kilda or the ones along Main St/Nepean Hwy in Mordialloc.

Are you talking about those large Palms you see along Beach Rd in St Kilda or the ones along Main St/Nepean Hwy in Mordialloc.

Those in Beach Rd St Kilda are Canary Island Date palm.

I am thinking of slimmer version of it, such as the Bangalow palm

My SIL says Palms are so out of style and low class and we have to get rid of our palms and replace them with South African Flowering Judas or whatever.
I just moved a small palm growing next to a big palm (sorry Im new to Palms) in our front garden. Im very proud I didnt kill it. Anyway she says get rid of them all. My wife and I really like them. Any chance they will come back in fashion. Sorry to butt in we are in Perth not Melbourne

We've got a couple of majestic palms in the ground and they have done OK. Also have some golden cane palms in pots a couple of those have done well and a couple not so well. The golden canes werent cheap either about $50 each from memory

We're pretty useless with gardening though so more capable hands might do better

I read today that palm trees suck the life out of your garden with their thirst.
Does anyone have any comments on this ? Ive got mine in front garden surrounded by plants and other small fruit trees. Will they interfere ?

I think the "petticoat" palms do well in the cold (washigstonia somethingorother)

You could check with council who should be able to tell you what is appropriate climate-wise and ecologically (some may be deemed not preferred due to birds spreading their seeds)

Or move to sunny Queensland:D

Here's a palm tree from Canberra

palm_tree.JPG

Back