Paradise on the Gold Coast

Sheez - well, let's try again - the following should be a link to a photo that I just posted in the Photo Gallery. Bear with me - my "15 year old kids" who would've had this sussed in 2.3 seconds flat are now 32 years, and 30 years old, respectively (and not around....) So, this is ME (Les) - working valiantly to come to grips with new vbulletin technology....

11bedroom_1_balcony.jpg

And, if this has all worked, this should give you all a view of our new PPOR via a view from the master bedroom.... "Paradise on the Gold Coast"

Edited: - Thanks, SIm - your new "point #9" was the solution...
I am now a happy camper ......
Regards,

Last edited:
G'day Ruby, Tibor,

Thanks, people - looking forward to spending MUCH more time there. It is a place that is populated by all kinds of wildlife - and I really enjoyed a few (short) days there...

But looking forward to spending MUCH more time there into the future...

Regards,

Hi Les

Congratulations. And the scenery looks magnificent. What part of the Gold Coast is it?

Regards
Des

G'day Des,

This is in Springbrook - part of the Gold Coast hinterland (i.e. up in the mountains out the back....)

It is beautiful countryside, with wildlife everywhere - and views to the Gold Coast are just 200m up the road.

Part of the attraction is that >90% of the area is National Park - and we own part of the remaining 10% - it's a great feeling :)

We love it,

Regards,

I love camping up at Springbrook when on the Coast...very beautiful place. Your house looks like it makes the best of the surrounds! Looks wonderful.

G'Day Les,

love your home, but what I am really envious about is your ability to post pictures and attachments on this forum.

regards

Thanks, all of you - yeah, it is a very special place - and I recently spent 4 quality days there (and looking forward to more) ;)

How's this - a neighbour dropped by for a feed (look for the crimson rosella at left):-

front_balcony.jpg

And, re the property, it is on two titles (3000 sq m each) with house on one of them. Near the Eastern side of the mountain - but, yeah, beautiful countryside. I've also heard (as well as being 1000m up, we are also less than 2Km from NSW border).

G'day Jakk - all I can say "It wasn't intuitive" - but Sim helped out (see a little comment about "point #9", and follow Ruby's link in post #3)

I found I could move the piccies to the Photo Gallery - the problem I had (which point #9 was the fix for) was that only the link would show - but NOW, they are THERE without "clicking" - much better.......

Edited later: But watch out for point 14 - it seems I can't link this to ANOTHER thread without losing THIS link in THIS thread. Ah, well - it looks good, so I'll be happy to keep them here, and put links to this thread from other posts (if needs be),

Regards,

Last edited:
And now, back to the future....

G'day people,

Here we are, now in 2007. Values have grown very nicely, and our second block is currently freehold (we moved the mortgage for both blocks onto the single block with house).

Our plan is to build on the second block - initially, it was to be a PPOR, built to our tastes, where wife and I could spend our twilight years living in a home that was purpose built to suit us.

Only in the last month, wife has decided we should live in the original house (as shown earlier) as she likes that block better. "That's fine", I say, "but there is NO WAY you are going to take to the planked pine with a paint-brush!!" (Which has been the only bone of contention re this purchase). She hates all the wood - while I love it..... (Guess who wins?)

Anyway, prior to purchasing in 2003, we had determined that this whole area has a THRIVING B'n'B requirement - and that the vacancy rate ACROSS THE BOARD was 14% - or, your B'n'B property was likely to have 86% occupancy rate throughout the year - and at the LOWEST rate of $100 a night, that sounds like serious cash to me. Put it this way, that house shows returns of ~$300 a week as a rental. As a B'n'B, though, at a minimum of $100 a night (and 86% occupancy year round) that sounds like $600 per week to me (less a few extra costs - make it $500 a week).

But, considering this place, $100 a night is a "gimme" - it is probably worth more like $150 a night - especially if rented to families. The minimum $100 a night is for a 1bd, garage-sized, roof-over-your-head. But, in a pinch, $100 a night isn't too shabby when compared to straight renting.

So the possibilities are quite nice. Plans are changing almost daily, but (for the moment), it seems we WILL occupy this place, and B'n'B the BRAND NEW 3/4Bd house that we build on that other block. It'll provide a nice addition to a semi-retirement income that I have set up.

The thing I REALLY like is that the long-term growth of this area seems to be around 18 - 20% (because of scarcity). Only two years back, this area was the second-fastest growth area on the Gold Coast (59%) - and last year (to Dec 06) it was 18% (28% for the bottom quartile). I can live with that - plus we NEVER run out of water :D and, if Al Gore is proved to be correct after all :rolleyes: this will be waterfront property by 2035,

Regards,

"That's fine", I say, "but there is NO WAY you are going to take to the planked pine with a paint-brush!!" (Which has been the only bone of contention re this purchase). She hates all the wood - while I love it..... (Guess who wins?)

Sorry Les, but I think Mrs Les is right, that pine panel looks sooo dated ... I'll bet you still wear safari suits to work :D

But it's good to hear about the BnB value adding to the retirement plan .... just make sure the fridge is big enough for when I visit ;)

Cheers

Phil

G'day Phil,
Sorry Les, but I think Mrs Les is right,
Thanks, MATE!!! :mad: Now I have to make sure she NEVER reads your post. Hey Sim, how do I send a negative kudos? :p

Nah, Phil - I never did own a safari suit (not my style, even back THEN) :eek: Mrs. Les does say I'm a bit conservative (but then, what would she know) Sheesh, now I gotta make she never reads MY post :eek:

Hmmm. I still like the look of wood (reminds me of Swiss chalets and stuff). But we've agreed that she can change the doors on the kitchen cupboards (which are also pine, but vertical rather than horizontal - even I can see this is a bit much...) and we'll "do up" the kitchen with new gear to suit her tastes. (I do like eating now and then, so there is a bit of self-preservation in mind on that one :D)

And, yep, there will be a large fridge available for our "retirement plan" B'n'Bers to utilise. This is beautiful country, people want to come - all I have to do is make sure they come BACK.... again, and again, and again, and .......

Regards,

Well as long as Mrs Les is in charge of the interior decorating of the BnB then book me in :)

And I promise not to bring a paper copy of your post to show the Mrs if the price is right :D

Cheers

Phil

Back