Parramatta meetup 7th May

Hi!
I can never make Wednesday nights so I'm suggesting my own meetup. :)
Its Thursday night at the Albion hotel Parramatta 6.30pm, 7th May.
Would love to see Somersofters there.
Linda

Hi Linda,
while I can understand that you may be frustrated at not being able to attend meetups on a Wednesday and you are entitled to make your own meetup I think it is poor form to undercut one that has been organised well in advance.

A more appropriate way to go about it would be to make one a month or so later. It will more likely be better attended and not cause a conflict with people trying to decide which one they will attend.

Hi travel bug....
I'd go to both.... However I have been waiting for a meetup on a night not Wednesday for months.. (my second job is Wednesday nights!) .. I went to the one in Baulkham Hills on a Friday late last year, no one turned up and I only found out it was cancelled when I was actually there, (and ps. I went there by public transport.... Bull 'n Bush is a bad place for a meetup. If I left Baulkham Hills any later than I did I would have had to take two buses to get anywhere remotely close to home!)
btw. Really bad form for the meetup to be cancelled on the day.

Btw I have been requesting Friday meet ups for MONTHS now but no one organised it so I have been definitely frustrated!
Ps. I am flexible on the actual week of the meetup so it doesn't have to be the 7th May. But Thursday night is good...

Cheers, Linda

I don't understand why you were waiting months for someone else to arrange a meetup. We are all just contributors to this forum. There is no one in charge of making meetups. Although SIM has arranged a few.
Why didn't you just arrange one months ago on a night that suited you?

We hadn't had one for ages then the Wenty one was organised. It was such a success that Skater took the initiative to organise another one. Sorry you can't make it.

I just get frustrated... People were bouncing around the day of the week to have the initial meetup. (Skaters). She had flexibility. But she chose Wednesday. Ok. But then they do another follow up, I ask for not Wednesday, but guess what....

I'm going to jump in here & say that this is EXTREMELY poor form to organise a meeting a couple of weeks earlier than one that has already been planned since the beginning of the month.

Even when there were regular meetings held in Chatswood, I'd organise something out West, but they would be a month apart, to allow people to go to both if they wish to.

I just get frustrated... People were bouncing around the day of the week to have the initial meetup. (Skaters). She had flexibility. But she chose Wednesday. Ok. But then they do another follow up, I ask for not Wednesday, but guess what....
Yes, I chose Wednesday, because that suits me! I'm the organiser, so I get to choose. I'm not going to change something for ONE person. If you can't make it, you can't make it! Get over it! And BTW, how dare you say that I had flexibility! Do you know what my current commitments are? NO!

For FIVE YEARS both myself & Hubby were working on Thursday & Friday nights, and guess what night meetups were? Usually a Thursday, so we couldn't make it. Did we whinge & complain? No! We just got on with things & accepted that there will be times where we can't attend functions. We didn't expect others to change things just for us.

AND the worst part in this is that you've posted in my original meetup thread that you are doing this, as if you want to sabotage something that has been planned for weeks.

Well....I for one will not be going! Not because I can't make it, not because I can't get there. Not because it's Parramatta, which is a really BAD place for a meetup as parking can be difficult, and I hate Parramatta! No, simply because I DON'T WANT TO!!!
A more appropriate way to go about it would be to make one a month or so later. It will more likely be better attended and not cause a conflict with people trying to decide which one they will attend.

Exactly!

Hi Skater,
I respect you. I don't know if you remember but I met you at the meetup in the Belgian Beer cafe meetup in Parramatta after your surgery. Anyway.... it turns out that out of all the Wednesdays in the calendar, the 20th May is relatively not so bad for me to go to an event. Yes, I am supposed to be somewhere else but I'll miss it for that night. So i'll hold off this suggested one for a Thursday night, at least until I get totally frustrated in not meeting up with anybody from Somersoft again which could be a couple of months down the track lol...

ps. Albion hotel Parramatta's not bad. It does have it's own parking and is walking distance to the station...

Gockie, may i suggest a CBD venue in late June/July instead?

1. Its a different location, so those who can't make it out to Wentworthville may find it easier to attend a CBD location

2. Its about 1.5-2 months away, as Skater and Travelbug have said, it gives people a chance to attend both if they wish.

The location Television picked last time under the broadway hotel seemed nice. Easy enough to get to by public transport, with 2 hours free parking.

I would also happily attend a CBD meetup in June/July.

CBD venues close to George St are best for getting home on public transport afterwards.

Hi all.... I work out in Parramatta so I'd be travelling much further to go to the city!
So I'd rather stay with Parramatta.
But thanks for the suggestions.
Ta.

I think Parra is a tough spot to hold a meetup. Unless you work there and get home your usual way it's hard to get to and to find parking. I live 10mins away and wouldn't go to an event in the centre of parra. Hence the Wenty location.

You can't please everyone on dates/venues so organise one for winter sometime at a time and place that suits you and I'm sure people will come.

I think Parra is a tough spot to hold a meetup. Unless you work there and get home your usual way it's hard to get to and to find parking. I live 10mins away and wouldn't go to an event in the centre of parra. Hence the Wenty location.

You can't please everyone on dates/venues so organise one for winter sometime at a time and place that suits you and I'm sure people will come.

Yeah.... Btw, Albion hotel is far from centre of Parramatta (it's on the east side) but has its own parking and is still walking distance to trains. So shouldn't be too much hassle for parking. (I know I also found the parking for the Belgium beer cafe meetup difficult, but then again, that was a Saturday night)

Anyway, I'll ditch my part time job for the night of the 20th May.

Won't have a Parramatta meetup just yet....

Back