passive income - first Investment property or other avenues

If you need personal funds, use one of those splits for personal funds. I havent read anywhere that pos is after mortgaging his house for personal use - it seems as though pos is after passive income to me.

Hmm separate split/one split is pretty semantic, so long as its costless. A number of banks will allow you to do it for free. I like it, it makes it easier down the track if people want to turn IP to PPOR and easier to account for debt to each individual property for monitoring purposes.

Might be overkill setting up 4 loan splits for the equity release if ALL of the funds are being used for IP purposes.

If some of the funds are being used for personal use - then splitting is necessary.

Cheers

Jamie

Agree JacM - if you've got a decade, then you've got plenty of time and strategies to do this.

It really depends on whether you plan to work in India, what is your timeline for your income stream desire of $3k per month to come to fruition etc. So you'd need to clearly define these things first.

It's easy enough to turn over more than $3k per month on $300k, but it is important to consider all the factors at play to ensure you are taking yourself closer to your goals rather than further away.

Hey guys
Thanks to all helpfull people out there,really appreciate

No I didnt take IT into for the income but I guess as I won't have
Any other income other than 3k when I move to India,so woul bepaying tax
On 36k or what ever I get but subject to deductions

If I borrow equity against my poor,would in increase
My repayments as well ,would I need to actually use the moneyto
Buy Ip,s

I don't

Want to disrupt the way the payments are goingthru
And continue to pay off my 50k ,so that I can get the from ppor
At the same time buy one or two Ip,s using my income and income generated
By Ip's - can this be done

Can some one explain setting a split loan pls

Brad properties, what are the pros and cons

Yes iwould be working but not expecting much for about one yr
That's why trying to generate as much passive income

Let's pretend you spend the $300k like this:

Use $50k to pay off your home which you rent out. I believe you mentioned it would fetch $1400 per month.

Use the other $250k to buy a property outright. Let's say it fetches $1250 per month.

Together the gross rental haul of these properties will not be $3k. It will be even less after you pay the bills (eg council rates, insurance, property management, water rates).

As such I do not see how your plan is going to get you a quick and immediate monthly income of $3k.

Buying a bunch of places with loans may position you even further away from that target. Tread carefully and really cut the numbers.

passive income target of 3k after 4 years - regional prop

hi guys

thanks heaps for your inputs

after some very initial thoughts - this is what I am putting forward

need your comments on whether I am on right track or not

firstly Organise a equity release from ppor into a separate account

Currently my house would be valued at 420K

so planning to use equity + salary + income from rental properties to raise funds to purchase 2 investing properties

pay 20% to avoid LMI and other costs from equity release loan

then the most important part

I am looking at regional properties reason being

low prices with good rental market - I am planning to look for a positively geared property

if my job circumstances change I can off load one of the property

looking to purchase 2 around 300k with atleast 9% rental return

looking to pay off atleast one of the rental property before I leave as I want to generate as much passive income as possible

leaving the other one to pay for itself

so by the time I leave - planning to achieve a passive income of 3k

questions

Am I thinking right in terms of going for regional property in terms of achieving my goals

what are the pros and cons of regional

what are the things I need to be aware of

Note : finally I dont want to jeopardise my PPOR if I am not thinking right

comments , suggestions welcome

thanks once again
pos

Assuming you were to acquire 2 such properties with that sort of yield that would consistently remain rented all the time, and assuming all the loans were entirely paid off, then by the time the rent comes in, bills get paid and tax gets paid, you would have, by the skin of your teeth, $3k per month. This assumes all mortgages are paid off before you went to India.

You're right - the loan repayments from the equity releases against the PPOR to be taken into account too. That reduces the net income by quite a bit.

Redom is correct. He is taking all of the debt into account.

Quick example. NRAS 400K purchase geared to 80% LVR

20% deposit secured against PPOR = 80K
Stamp Duty secured against PPOR = 16K ( 11K in NSW )
Legals, Building, Pest, Depreciation secured against PPOR = @2-3K
Buffer secured against PPOR = 10K
Total secured against PPOR = @ 108K . Call it 110K to be conservative. 105K in NSW

Total secured against NRAS purchase = 320K ( 80% LVR)

Total debt 430K (110K + 320K) @ 4.99% I/O 5 Yr fixed $21,457 P/annum
Total other costs ( water, rates, mgmt, NRAS compliance , strata) $5000

Total expenses = $26,457, inclusive of everything, including all PPOR debt - which includes the 10K CF buffer. Call it 26.5K

Total Income from Rent $320 per week ( instead of $400 ) - $16,640 p/annum

Pre Tax CF Loss = @ 9,900 ( call it 10K ) the 10K buffer secured by PPOR covers this. So your out of pocket expenses = ZERO.

Depreciation = 13-14K. Call it 12K to be conservative

22K deductible loss. (minus 16% NANE apportioning) = 18.5K deduction

ATO refund @ 32.5% = $6012.50 + $10,661 NRAS = @ 16.7K . Take 10K and set it aside to replenish the cash buffer ( to cover CF loss in Year 2 ) and you have @ 6.7K of Tax Free money available to use however you wish.

ATO refund @ 37% = $6845 + $10,661 NRAS = @ 17.5K . Take 10K and set it aside to replenish the cash buffer ( to cover CF loss in Year 2 ) and you have @ 7.5K of Tax Free money available to use however you wish.

ATO refund @ 45% = $8325 + $10,661 NRAS = @ 19K . Take 10K and set it aside to replenish the cash buffer ( to cover CF loss in Year 2 ) and you have @ 9K of Tax Free money available to use however you wish.

Repeat each year, for 10 years.

Numbers will vary slightly between properties, but as I keep saying, an NRAS property will typically generate @18-20K of deductions and generate @7-9K CF+ , with ZERO out of pocket costs. Those CF+ results will increase annually with indexing, particularly when you can lock in 5 years of your costs @ 4.99%. remember that interest costs represent more than 80% of your annual expenses- so if you can secure those at sub 5% for 5 years, you can be certain the indexing will add to the annual CF+ result.

But assuming no net benefit from indexing, you are still generating between 7-9K CF+ annually, after ALL costs have been accounted for, including the debt secured by the PPOR.

This is how you take dormant equity from your PPOR which is doing nothing for you,and make it work for you. Right now the equity is just sitting there ; neither making you money, nor costing you money. NRAS , and the structure Redom has recommended, puts that equity to work and turns it into an additional 6-9K of tax free money, each year for the next 10 years. Then you use that tax free money to pay down your remaining PPOR debt aggressively, which in turn, frees up cash flow you are currently directing towards the PPOR debt, saves you a truck load of interest, and leaves you with not only the extra CF+ money from NRAS + the also the money your are currently spending on your PPOR debt.

Beyond that, you have multiple options. You may wish to start paying down the INV debt you have secured against the PPOR, so that a large portion of that is also paid down before the NRAS money stops in Year 11, or you may want to invest in more property, or start making additional contributions to Super, for example.

However you utilise it, all of this equates to the same simple philosphy. Take X amount of equity. Deploy it to an asset that costs you ZERO to hold ( NRAS) Generate 6-9K of tax free cash after ALL costs are accounted for, and then re-invest that tax free cash and get a multiplier effect. Best place is your PPOR debt. Once that's done, it can be super, shares, more property- whatever. Point is, it's a ZERO cost accelerant. It gets you well ahead of the curve, and equity, the ATO and NRAS pay for all of it. You pay for none of it.

Last edited:
hi redom

can you just explain on setting up of split loans

thanks

I am also keen on finding out what this loan split is and what is it formally called by the banks?

Bank sites show split loan as something like 50% variable and 50%fixed , surely that not what it means in the context of use a few times in this thread.

I am also keen on finding out what this loan split is and what is it formally called by the banks?

Bank sites show split loan as something like 50% variable and 50%fixed , surely that not what it means in the context of use a few times in this thread.

A split loan is a loan that is split.

Formally known as a "split" or just "loan".

e.g $500,000 property with $400,000 in borrowings = 80% loan

The loan could be split in any manner

$200,000 variable
$200,000 variable

or
$200,000 variable or
$200,000 LOC

etc

I have a lot of friends who could retire tomorrow, yet they don't see it - yet they complain about working all the time = crazy.

Sounds like my fam.

My parents could be on a minimum of 78k tomorrow to (if they structured it right) $100k+ passive income in a few months.

My mum just whinges about how hard she has to work. I'm like then do this... RAH RAH RAH, YOU'RE A DREAMER, ETC. ETC. ETC.

I think it comes down to fear of the unknown. Having to readjust from your comfort zone. It's the only conclusion I've managed to come up with.

Okay so... I invested ~$300k in 3 properties, this includes the deposits required to build 2 more granny flats. I will be making ~$40k+ positive cashflow income. That took me 3 years.

So it is actually pretty easy to do, just don't get caught up on the idea you have to pay the houses off. Use the extra cash in an off-set or buy more to mitigate against higher interest rates or loss of rent.

Give me 3-5 years more and I aim to make that $70-80k passive income without putting in any more cash.

can you suggest some regional areas I can start looking at

hi nhg

your post makes it sound like its possible , I am confused , some of the guys say its possible and some say not really

what are your views about regional as I am thinking due to the reasons being

low price

high rental yield

can offload if financial situation changes

any ares which are strong performers you can suggest

thanks
pos

Sounds like my fam.

My parents could be on a minimum of 78k tomorrow to (if they structured it right) $100k+ passive income in a few months.

My mum just whinges about how hard she has to work. I'm like then do this... RAH RAH RAH, YOU'RE A DREAMER, ETC. ETC. ETC.

I think it comes down to fear of the unknown. Having to readjust from your comfort zone. It's the only conclusion I've managed to come up with.

Okay so... I invested ~$300k in 3 properties, this includes the deposits required to build 2 more granny flats. I will be making ~$40k+ positive cashflow income. That took me 3 years.

So it is actually pretty easy to do, just don't get caught up on the idea you have to pay the houses off. Use the extra cash in an off-set or buy more to mitigate against higher interest rates or loss of rent.

Give me 3-5 years more and I aim to make that $70-80k passive income without putting in any more cash.

hi nhg

your post makes it sound like its possible , I am confused , some of the guys say its possible and some say not really

what are your views about regional as I am thinking due to the reasons being

low price

high rental yield

can offload if financial situation changes

any ares which are strong performers you can suggest

thanks
pos

what is that quote.

"whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are right".

as for rural. personally I buy in metropolitan areas. there is no right or wrong, find the right team and find the strategy that best suits your needs at any moment in time.

bendigo , ballarat, sale , wangaratta- pros and cons

hey all

thanks for your input so far

I started my research in the above regional places

any ideas on how is the market going over there

looking for house with the budget of 200 if possible

does any know what projects are currently under way or in the pipe line for

bendigo , ballarat, sale, wangaratta

looking for strong rental gains , pos geared properties

Any suburbs to look for and avoid

thanks heaps guys

pos