Patching a speckle painted plaster ceiling in a bathroom

Son's bathroom (top floor of block of units with roof space above) has plaster ceiling that has had a dividing wall made much less "jutting out" so there is now a hole in the plaster about 300mm x 600mm. Hubby took a look today. Patching with a piece of plaster will be easy, as will re-cutting the cornice to fit the new smaller bit where the pipes have been condensed into a smaller jutting out section.

Problem is that the ceiling has a speckle paint (?) finish. I'm fairly sure it is simply a paint finish and not vermiculite.

I've looked around a renovation (plaster) forum but cannot post there even though I joined a while ago (not sure why).

Two options -

1. Patch the hole, tape up the join and skim it, and then try to match the textured paint (probably will look bad).

2. Sand back the paint, or try to scrape it off and then sand it, and then skim the whole ceiling.

Best option would be a flat ceiling and the room is small, so it would not take long, but I'm wondering if the skim coat would stick to the speckle paint if it doesn't sand easily.

Some suggestions on the other forum seem to say to skim with cornice cement. Anybody done this?

Any tips?

If it all turns to custard, it would not cost much to knock out the old ceiling and bung up new plaster, in which case we could use bathroom grade plaster, but this has worn well for 50 years with no exhaust fan, so I don't think we need to do this. Ceiling fan will be installed with this work.

You got photos?

The best way to get a speckle is usually flicking paint off a toothbrush by sort of scraping across it with your finger (watch some kindergarteners or Mister Maker to see the technique in action), but you'd have to practise on some scrap paper first to get it right.

Lets wait for everyone to tell you to just paint the damn thing white :D

Had a similar issue with an old unit in Adelaide.

Went to Taubmans paint shop and asked for a tin of speckled paint tinted to the ceiling colour.

Took a while to find it, but it was right next to the various tins of striped paint.

Don't go to Bunnings because they don't stock it.

Ian.

Have a look here, http://www.how2plaster.com/ I'd be surprised if it's not there somewhere.:)

Thanks Battler. I actually started with that site, found some similar issues, but not my exact question. Will have more time tomorrow to look about a bit more. I also couldn't post a question for some reason.

Had a similar issue with an old unit in Adelaide.

Went to Taubmans paint shop and asked for a tin of speckled paint tinted to the ceiling colour.

Took a while to find it, but it was right next to the various tins of striped paint.

Don't go to Bunnings because they don't stock it.

Ian.

Funny guy... :D

Speckled, as in rough but pointy finish, not like a speckled hen :D

We have a Tyrollean gun but it gives more of a "mound" finish (and we're talking cement anyway but maybe it would work with plaster too?) whilst the finish on this ceiling is sharp. It's messy too and would take longer to protect the bathroom from "overflick" than the time it would take to replace the whole ceiling.

It looks like the ceiling was painted with something added to the paint to add thickness or maybe with a really fluffy roller. Anyway, I'll google some more tomorrow.

That's not speckled, that's textured!

I'd be trying adding various crap to normal paint with a really long nap roller and testing on some scrap cardboard then. Try the usual - sand, something plasterish, maybe some old grout, whatever you've got lying around.

I lived in a very dated unit in Adelaide once where the ceilings looked like they were covered with sprayed on concrete, the sort you often see sprayed over exposed beams in industrial buildings and carparks. I pity anyone trying to match that stuff!

Thanks RE :D

I couldn't find my exact question in the plastering forum, but I did find instructions on how to sand and skim the textured finish. This is our preferred way anyhow... not big fans of the textured finish.

I think we'll give the sand and skim a go and if that doesn't work then the whole ceiling will come down and a new one installed. The whole thing would take less time than experimenting with different textures.

It is a rare thing to see a good match when people try to match finishes.

Two options -

1. Patch the hole, tape up the join and skim it, and then try to match the textured paint (probably will look bad).

I would try this first by going to a paint shop and get a sample pot of texture paint,a couple of coats applied could get it the required finish?

2. Sand back the paint, or try to scrape it off and then sand it, and then skim the whole ceiling.

This is just not going to work,the places where it is on the plaster joins will never let go

Best option would be a flat ceiling and the room is small, so it would not take long, but I'm wondering if the skim coat would stick to the speckle paint if it doesn't sand easily.

Some suggestions on the other forum seem to say to skim with cornice cement. Anybody done this?

We use cornice cement all the time,however it isn't that easy to sand so we use a base coat which sands "OH so easy" ;)

Any tips?

If it all turns to custard, it would not cost much to knock out the old ceiling and bung up new plaster, in which case we could use bathroom grade plaster, but this has worn well for 50 years with no exhaust fan, so I don't think we need to do this. Ceiling fan will be installed with this work.
This is the way I would go,cheaper and better in the long run

Thanks Pa1nter. We have patched plaster many times, but don't want to pfaff about trying to match the textured paint. If it doesn't match well, it will stick out like dog ***** :D

I take on board your advice to cut the ceiling out and start again. Perhaps that is best all around. Sanding and patching has to be done in a tiny space where placing ladders is not the easiest thing. This whole job will be over the top of the glass shower screen. Lots of stretching and leaning involved :)

I think we might try a pot of textured paint, give it a go first. If it works that is the easiest fix. If it looks like crap, we'll rip the whole thing down and bung up new plaster.

Back