Pavers moving apart problem

Hi Guys,

I have a property which is only 3 years old, it was built by professional builder, but the stormwater and landscaping (paving, fencing) were done by contractors which I found myself.

The problem was.... in the second year, I found the paving started to crack and move around.

attachment.php

attachment.php

So I found a new paving contractor to relay the paving, they re-do the base and etc...

All was good... until six month later now, I just realised some of the pavers start moving apartment again!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Can anyone see what might be wrong?? I am really fed up with this. I knew from soil report that the soil was very reactive, hence I spent a lot on doing the footing, and many contractors said even with reactive soil the pavers should not move like this.

Attachments

• paving3.jpg
    paving3.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 463
  • paving4.jpg
    paving4.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 440
  • paving2.jpg
    paving2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 371
  • paving1.jpg
    paving1.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 397
Last edited by a moderator:
Cars are heavy buggers, moving back and forwards creates alot of stress. With cars on pavers, you need 100mm of well compacted road base (from memory). Interlocking pavers are the best.

Looks like poor compaction underneath for starters causing the sinking.
Cracking at a guess is due to the poor compaction or more likely they are not the 60mm plus required for driveways. Could be the pedestrian ones at 40mm.

Spreading again poor compaction and probably cement edge not done adequately. Probably find its broken up due to the movement.

Driveways require a very solid base of concrete in my opinion or gravel base on sound stable soils.

Also, a driveway paver that can take the weight of cars.

Those are cement pavers whereas I would only lay clay pavers on a driveway.

I do this for a living and have seen cement pavers break like that on driveways.

Choice of paver is cause of breakage and contractor responsible for movement, in my humble opinion. But not 100% sure just looking at photos.

Thanks for replying. With your experience, what's the best workaround for me you reckon? I can't afford to relay all again.

That is really bad, I'm guessing a soak well is right next to it judging from the pipe in the first picture.

Maybe it has over flown and moved the sand or it hasn't been compacted correctly.

You would want the contractors back to have a look and see what they say.

If they won't fix it get someone else to look at it and see if they'll tell you what is at fault.

Thanks for replying. With your experience, what's the best workaround for me you reckon? I can't afford to relay all again.

Yes, agree with Datto.

Get the contractor back to fix it up.

It all really depends upon the deal you made at the time the pavers were originally laid.

But ultimately, the pavers should be laid on a sound solid base and not move anywhere near as much as they have in such a short time.

like I said the paver itself needs to be a driveway paver and cement pavers don't cut it for me.

Ideally lay the paver on a bed of washed river sand up to but not exceeding 20mm which is laid out on top of that very solid base.

You should have some sort of consumer protection regarding the building process, or do you not?

Back