Pay for Gas heater service & Carbon monoxide test?

Hi,

My PM suggested me to pay $149 every two years to smarthouse plumbing to provide a Gas heater service & Carbon monoxide test. Is this something new as I only heard about smoke alarm service? Any regulation in VIC? Is it worth to do so?

Thanks

I'm in Qld so not much call for heating.

But there have been several well publicised cases of families being killed by faulty gas heaters. It seems a small (deductible) price to pay for ensuring safety.
Marg.

Hi Mason,

The following is an extract from the Energy Safety Victoria website regarding gas appliances.

Landlord and property manager responsibilities

The Residential Tenancies Act 1997 requires a landlord to ensure that rented premises are maintained in good repair. Good repair includes all gas appliances provided by the landlord. These must be safe to use and properly maintained.

This includes ensuring that:

Only a licensed gasfitter performs gasfitting work
All appliances are safe for use before re-letting a property
All appliances, pipework and flue systems are installed and maintained correctly
Pipes are correctly sealed if appliances are removed
All safety checks and details of work done on gas installations are recorded.
Failure to meet legislated responsibilities can cause death, serious injury and/or considerable property damage.

Tenants also have responsibilities, including reporting appliance faults to the landlord or the landlord's agent.

The landlord or the agent and the tenant should work together to ensure that a safety check is done at agreed intervals - at least every two years.

You will note that the checks are not mandatory (should as opposed to shall).

The act only says -"The Residential Tenancies Act 1997 requires a landlord to ensure that rented premises are maintained in good repair"

However I would highly recommend that this be carried out, whether you sign up via the agent or organise it yourself. This was the outcome of one of the incidents that Marg4000 mentioned.

Ciao

Nor

I would be paying it every year and installing a co2 detector in my house which I have done. The more safe things are the better.

I would be paying it every year and installing a co2 detector in my house which I have done. The more safe things are the better.

Nobody will die from Co2 exposure unless you fall into a vat of coca cola. CO is carbon MONOXIDE and a detector costs about same as a smoke detector.. Annual battery replace + test at same time as smoke detector. Far better than a annual heater test. Its not the heater that kills its the closed doors and duration of the use.

Co2 is carbon dioxide. The fizz in soft drink.:D

Recommend you do it and install a CO (not CO2) detector in every room you have a heater in.

Carbon Monoxide is extremely dangerous, especially because it colourless, odourless and tasteless. Being lighter than air, it starts by filling the top of the room, so if you have a detector on the ceiling, you maximise the chances of getting the alarm in time. You can find detectors that do both CO and smoke alarms.

Do it.

Nobody will die from Co2 exposure unless you fall into a vat of coca cola. CO is carbon MONOXIDE and a detector costs about same as a smoke detector.. Annual battery replace + test at same time as smoke detector. Far better than a annual heater test. Its not the heater that kills its the closed doors and duration of the use.

Co2 is carbon dioxide. The fizz in soft drink.:D

You beat me to it!

This actually bears an interesting point: should you as a landlord even supply any heating gas appliances? It looks like it just adds more risks. However in some instances like gas fireplaces, the appliances are already built in, so you can't take them out.

What about kitchen gas appliances? Perhaps these too also require regular maintenance?

CO alarms are a must and they cost peanuts. If you are on a plan to have the yearly maintenance of the smoke alarms and you install smoke + CO alarms (2 in 1 unit), then you also get the yearly maintenance of that alarm as part of the plan.

Really wish they'd clarify all the grey areas and legislate for routine maintenance for these and smoke alarms.

Back