Paying 10% deposit - bank transfer OK?

I need to pay the seller (via the agent) 50k next week when the contract goes unconditional. I was planning on just transferring the money using my online internet banking account. Is there any reason why I should consider using a bank cheque instead? (maybe safer in some way?), or does it not matter?

I have done large deposit transfers before. I had to call my bank to get a temporary daily limit exemption. Normally it is $5k but I upped the limit for the day so I could transfer the funds.

Bank transfer is fine so long as you do it within the deadline for providing deposit + your transactional account allows for the transfer size.

most banks personal account has $10K Internet banking transfer limit.

Just double check with bank well in advance, or you may have to pay $27-$50 for swift transfer.

Excellent I just found out I already have a 50k max daily transfer limit. I must have asked for this to be increased the last time I bought a house and just forgot about it.

Excellent I just found out I already have a 50k max daily transfer limit. I must have asked for this to be increased the last time I bought a house and just forgot about it.

You may still want to ring well beforehand and ask the bank as there is also a transfer limit for transactions and not just a daily max limit. So you don't end up doing $10K x 5 etc.

You can adjust the transaction limit for an hour to allow you to make the transfer, and I usually make the transfer whilst on the phone to the bank. My last one was for an amount close to yours, and the transaction limit gets adjusted back for security. Like everyone else said just make sure the numbers are correct etc.

Consider also the tax aspects of this - paying a deposit with cash.

Cash cannot be reimbursed with borrowed money.
If you are using borrowed money and parking it in a savings account then you could be ruining deductibility of interest.

Consider also the tax aspects of this - paying a deposit with cash.

Cash cannot be reimbursed with borrowed money.
If you are using borrowed money and parking it in a savings account then you could be ruining deductibility of interest.

Can you explain more on this? I'm taking the money out of an offset account. Is this going to be a problem?

Can you explain more on this? I'm taking the money out of an offset account. Is this going to be a problem?

If the offset account is on an IP or a PPOR loan there won't be a problem.

But if it is on a PPOR removing money will result in the interest you are being charged increasing and since the loan relates to a non deductible loan the interest will not be deductible.

If it is an invesment and both the owners of this one and the new investment are the same then it won't make much different immediately. But it could down the track depending on a few things.

Back