paying deposit

Hi all,

Just settled on IP 4 but wanted to see what is the norm when exchanging...
Our was offer was accepted a little over a week ago. The sales advice has been sent, solicitors details provided etc etc. I've signed the contract after meeting with solicitor but there are a few certificates that the solicitor wants updated so this will take time.

The agent is getting a bit edgy because we havent exchanged. We will be redrawing the deposit so we can do it at any time, but when you buy you only pay deposit after/at exchange, yeah? How long does it usually take you guys to exhange, given it's not an auction??

Thanks in advance,
Allgood.

Generally pay the balance of the deposit at exchange (depending on the state) - exchange generally occurs when finance has been formally approved and all reports come back satisfactory.

Cheers

Jamie

Believe this is the property we discussed.

Allgood pay deposit with exchange of contract.

Exchange of contract after finance and certificate finalised.

So, it's been at least a fortnight since our offer was accepted and still waiting for unconditional approval (we had pre-approval.) Is westpac renowned for being extra slow or is this normal? They tell me it's all good - they're just busy...

So, it's been at least a fortnight since our offer was accepted and still waiting for unconditional approval (we had pre-approval.) Is westpac renowned for being extra slow or is this normal? They tell me it's all good - they're just busy...

Can happen but seems a bit extreme.

I would request an esculation on the file via broker or branch lender.

Spoke to westpac today and they said they're just waiting to value the property we're drawing equity out of for the deposit.... LVR on the existing property after paying deposit + costs will be about 58% (last val was 1.5 mill)

First I'd heard of it, if a valuation was necessary should it not have been done when we were granted pre-approval? The purchase price, + costs etc totalled about $80,000 less than what we were pre-app'd for.

:mad:

Depends on your broker/banker. I personally like to extract the available equity out ASAP / equity release. That way you don't have the current troubles you're having waiting around for a valuation, especially when it's not a val for the property you're buying. Really should of been done before now, poor planning IMO.

Hi,

But shouldn't this have been sorted by the bank during pre approval? I have cash sitting in offset that I can pay deposit with, but don't people usually get pre approval, then an unconditional offer from the bank before exchanging/putting down 10% deposit?? Or do you exchange before finance is unconditional?:confused:

Depends on who your banker or broker is, I would of got the funds available. A pre-approval is just that... Pre. No valuation ordered. Should of gone to formal approval and funded the equity release.

Back