Paying yourself first

Seems an expensive way (time + money) to get a hypothetical 12k raise. In that time frame there's a good chance your current salary will lift to 60k on the back of promotions, raises and changing jobs.

If you're doing the other degree because that's where your passion lies then ignore what I just said.

I'm going back to uni and getting another degree in an unrelated industry. I plan to keep working full time whilst studying as well. I'm 24 now hopefully I can finish it within a few years. Upon graduating if all goes to plan I'd be on around 60k and hopefully within 5 years I could be up to six figures once I've gained more experience and responsibility.

Plus another part of my post that I forgot was about property development. I've never seriously looked into it just because of my circumstances it's more a dream than anything atm. However, in the future I would love to have enough income to be able to get serious about it one day on a large scale e.g apartments instead of residential subdivides.

The good thing is I'm already on the property ladder albeit just 1 property atm:)

That's excellent. You're already streets ahead. Plus you'll be doing something that you want to do which is a huge bonus. Good on you.
Some people are compelled to study a course that isn't their first interest and once that's finished, come back to do what they really want to do. If you're able to work and make the payments on your current property at the same time at the age of 24, I consider that remarkable. You're on the right track. :)

Saved 80% over past 18 months to get my deposit for my first IP.
Still doing that but hoping my 80% is a lot higher so I can keep funding my business and get married..

Saved 80% over past 18 months to get my deposit for my first IP.
Still doing that but hoping my 80% is a lot higher so I can keep funding my business and get married..

80% is a top effort to save.
funding business? Is it a new start up?
was the saving from a job or another non business income stream?

well done regardless :)

I'm wondering how many people implement this powerful strategy where you habitually put away a portion of your pay check every month or so to go towards investments?

By pay check I mean any kind of income that lands in your bank account whether you work for someone else or not.

If so, how much do you put away? 10%, 50%?

Anyone else have a similar strategy that works for them?
All money received by our kids from birth have been put aside, as they grew older split is 50%, once started working and studying and living at home then 30% for private 70% for investment.
In addition like you we have been buying coins, stamps, prints, some collectibles, etc...
Personally we adopted the 70% spend and 30% save then invest strategy and will pass to kids, even being self-employed yet paying ourselves first. Have separate accounts where that income is diverted then used to invest.
In addition we have fully maximized our SMSF too, why not take the advantage of current rules, for future benefit, especially having there now 6 IPs..., further approved borrowing in 6 digits, but hesitant to advance there....
Personally now concentrating first kid to purchase first IP, helping family member purchase via SMSF too, and perhaps investing further when steps 1 and 2 are done.
So keeping very busy with lots to do but yes the progression was due to having the consistent discipline to continue to use this approach. Adopting "The Richest Man in Babylon" has worked wonders for us. Most people have read the book yet how many really practice what it taught???
Really, living on 70% is not so hard to do.......

Back